Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic Metal: First Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
1 [3.33%]
9 [30.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
3 [10.00%]
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
2 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphonic Metal: First Album
    Posted: February 12 2022 at 05:17
Enter the Kings & Queens of Symphonic Metal! It's taken me an Eternity to get around to doing this series of polls in the Eternal Endless Infinity of Prog-Rock. The song below isn't included in the poll, but I'm Lovelorn and In a Reverie over the two legendary Queens of Symphonic Metal: Tarja Turunen (of Nightwish) & Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation), here together for the first time. They're in Paradise, but What About Us? Heart

4 stars  1999: Aesma Daeva - Here Lies One Whose Name Was Written in Water - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nQLLfKq6zQMJO1jkECUxSjjBtJuHAowEk
3 stars  1996: Apocalyptica - Plays Metallica by Four Cellos - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nZbMSDX9L8HTUM-b83QRzgta_-NplwLFY
2 stars  1995: Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid (For All Time) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mlIS3q2571o9YBI1a-aT9RD8lOAU1ZCzI
4 stars  2004: Imperia - The Ancient Dance of Qetesh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AG8JE8dQw
3 stars  2007: Serenity - Words Untold & Dreams Unlived - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_msBslIOaf-xtpPf0kENokq_zjwgjElKSM
5 stars  2002: Visions of Atlantis - Eternal Endless Infinity - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nkbLcRIjCZDNjJLR8ueHlaxJAShVStqVY

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 25 2022 at 15:22
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 07:41
I'd vote for Nightwish, but, to be honest, I don't think very highly of any of these.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 07:57
Went with Rhapsody - Legendary Tales. That is followed by Visions of Atlantis - Eternal Endless Infinity.

Thank you for this poll, Paul. I hope this is a "series". Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 08:09
Originally posted by Tasartir Tasartir wrote:

I'd vote for Nightwish, but, to be honest, I don't think very highly of any of these.

Not to worry. Once we delve more deeply into Symphonic Metal, I have Highest Hopes the albums will get better as we go along, as this is only the first chapter in a long Dark Passion Play. BestWishes. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 08:23
Lest some people might be concerned, all these bands did/do some or many symphonic stuff in their careers. But, many of them didn't commence so.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 08:37
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Lest some people might be concerned, all these bands did/do some or many symphonic stuff in their careers. But, many of them didn't commence so.

It's an all-inclusive poll with a few favourite Progressive Metal bands thrown into the mix too, especially in the case of Ayreon and Evanescence. Smile

I may have gone slightly overboard by including the full complement of 25 bands in the poll, as I'm spoilt for choice and I can't decide who to vote for now. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 12 2022 at 08:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 08:42
^ Sure, man. I only made a clarification for those who get such polls like they should be symphonic albums. It should be instead seen like the albums of the bands that do symphonic stuff. Like, Metallica is a metal band, but not all their albums are metal, such as Load being hard rock.

BTW, I said "many of them", perhaps that was an exaggeration. But some of these bands surely began their careers without being symphonic. Also I honestly don't know the music of Evanescence and Lacuna Coil that much. Ayreon seems fine. They surely have some symphonic qualities.

Don't get me wrong. The poll is perfectly fine by me. Smile

Edited by Archisorcerus - February 12 2022 at 08:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 08:58
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

^ Sure, man. I only made a clarification for those who get such polls like they should be symphonic albums. It should be instead seen like the albums of the bands that do symphonic stuff. Like, Metallica is a metal band, but not all their albums are metal, such as Load being hard rock.

BTW, I said "many of them", perhaps that was an exaggeration. But some of these bands surely began their careers without being symphonic. Also I honestly don't know the music of Evanescence and Lacuna Coil that much. Ayreon seems fine. They surely have some symphonic qualities.

Don't get me wrong. The poll is perfectly fine by me. Smile

Thanks. As it's mainly a Symphonic Metal poll, at least no one will complain that I deliberately left Dream Theater out of the poll. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 09:42
Since I got rid of Ayreon, I own none of these albums. LOL
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 09:45
Epica
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 10:10

Even you lost me quite completely in this Symphonic Metal Heaven, Paul
I wish you best luck with it!  Hug

And I'll give Plays Metallica by Four Cellos some listen on this occasion.

Edited by David_D - February 12 2022 at 10:34
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 10:57
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Even you lost me quite completely in this Symphonic Metal Heaven, Paul
I wish you best luck with it!  Hug

In the midst of all of this Heavy Metal mayhem, I'm unlikely to get much sleep tonight, at least not until the Sandman Enters my room, when I'll be off to never never land. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 12 2022 at 11:01
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 11:37
Avantasia - The Metal Opera
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 12:18
Voted Apocalyptica - Plays Metallica by Four Cellos for its sheer cheesiness. I wish they'd kept it a one-off project and not become a real band. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 12:25

Then, I can already tell that I find Apocalyptica's cover of Enter Sandman quite interesting, and even better than the original version, but it might be how far I get with this album.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 13:22
Not a genre I'm that familiar with. Only bands I'm familiar with are Ayreon, Therion, and Nightwish in this list. Voted for Ayreon.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 13:52
Dimmu Borgir "For All Tid" is just beutifull and tender like a tender loin.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 13:54

Now I've had a bit closer look at your picks for this Symphonic Metal Heaven 
and it seems to be a more mixed heaven than I thought, Paul,
so I think that I'll better give it another colour  DeadStern SmileEvil SmileTongueLamp

and I'd be most happy to vote for Mercyfull Fate - Melissa (1983) 
- even it's older than all your other picks. Ermm

Edited by David_D - February 16 2022 at 15:41
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 14:22

Then, I can already tell that I find Apocalyptica's cover of Enter Sandman quite interesting, and even better than the original version, but it might be how far I get with this album.

Showed not to be true, as I at least find a couple more tracks interesting. 

Edited by David_D - February 13 2022 at 13:38
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 14:31

and I'd be most happy to vote for Mercyfull Fate - Melissa (1983) 
- even it's older than all your other picks. Ermm

You know, back in 1983, I went to a gig to see them perform that album, and they didn't show up!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>