Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic Metal: First Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.00%]
1 [3.33%]
9 [30.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
3 [10.00%]
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
2 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 14:53
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

and I'd be most happy to vote for Mercyfull Fate - Melissa (1983) 
- even it's older than all your other picks. Ermm
You know, back in 1983, I went to a gig to see them perform that album, and they didn't show up!! LOL

That must have been a downer. Unhappy 

Edited by David_D - February 12 2022 at 14:53
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 14:59

And I'll give Plays Metallica by Four Cellos some listen on this occasion.

Then, I can already tell that I find Apocalyptica's cover of Enter Sandman quite interesting, and even better than the original version, but it might be how far I get with this album.

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the head-slammin' sound of Metallica, so if they appeared at a gig I was attending, it'd be a case of Enter Sandman, and exit prog fan, meaning me. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 15:06
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the head-slammin' sound of Metallica, so if they appeared at a gig I was attending, it'd be a case of Enter Sandman, and exit prog fan, meaning me. Tongue

I can understand that but actually, I'm quite fond of Master of Puppets (1986). 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 15:07
Ayreon 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 15:22

and it is headbanger music.  Big smile

Edited by David_D - February 12 2022 at 15:30
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 23:57
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

Voted Apocalyptica - Plays Metallica by Four Cellos for its sheer cheesiness. I wish they'd kept it a one-off project and not become a real band. 

Why? Cult and Reflections are wonderful albums in their own right. I'd really hate to have missed them.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 00:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

Voted Apocalyptica - Plays Metallica by Four Cellos for its sheer cheesiness. I wish they'd kept it a one-off project and not become a real band. 

Why? Cult and Reflections are wonderful albums in their own right. I'd really hate to have missed them.

I just find the initial idea of playing Metallica with cellos silly, but since they made a successful career out of it, perhaps surprisingly to even themselves, more power to them. I'm not their fan and I don't know their later works well, so you can ignore my opinion. Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 01:44

The only Metallica album I have any great liking for is Lulu, with Lou Reed (which I love), and when it comes to Master of Puppets, I’ll stick to Osada Vida’s cover of it:

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 02:05

Now I've had a bit closer look at your picks for this Symphonic Metal Heaven  
and it seems to be a more mixed heaven than I thought, Paul,
so I think that I'll better give it another colour  DeadStern SmileEvil SmileTongueLamp

and I'd be most happy to vote for Mercyfull Fate - Melissa (1983) 
- even it's older than all your other picks. Ermm

Just to be sure you notice it, I've made the Symphonic Metal Heaven brighter.

However, I'm not sure if you like it better, as the present colour is much similar to the one much used on the cover of Master of Puppets (1986). Big smile 

Edited by David_D - February 16 2022 at 15:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 03:00
^ Yes, it's definitely an improvement, although it's a pity I can't colorize the title of the poll as I've already tried and failed. Wink

Earth, Wind and Fire (& Water):- The Shining Stars of Symphonic Metal.  Full marks if you can identify these four well-known Queens of Symphonic Metal. Thumbs Up

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 03:48

Earth, Wind and Fire (& Water):- The Shining Stars of Symphonic Metal.  Full marks if you can identify these four well-known Queens of Symphonic Metal. Thumbs Up

I surely understand your Thumbs Up here, but I'm sorry to tell (again) that I am lost in this part of your Symphonic Metal Heaven , as well. Smile

Edited by David_D - February 13 2022 at 04:08
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 04:00

... actually, I'm quite fond of Master of Puppets (1986). 

And I'll give Plays Metallica by Four Cellos some listen on this occasion.
Then, I can already tell that I find Apocalyptica's cover of Enter Sandman quite interesting, and even better than the original version, but it might be how far I get with this album.
Showed not to be true, as I at least find a couple more tracks interesting. Smile

But I surely don't like the covers of songs from Master of Puppets (1986) Unhappy as I'm (in general as well) certainly most fond of the original versions (particularly when I like them).

Edited by David_D - February 13 2022 at 04:10
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 06:00

I surely understand your Thumbs Up here, but I'm sorry to tell (again) that I am lost in this part of your Symphonic Metal Heaven , as well. Smile

Neverthereless, I certainly appreciate your very demanding and very good effort with this poll, Paul. Smile

Edited by David_D - February 13 2022 at 13:43
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 06:04

This is very cool! Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 06:06

Neverthereless, I certainly appreciate your very demanding and very good effort with this poll. Smile

Thanks again. It was a real labour of love putting this poll together. I'm just wondering if you can identify the four Symphonic Metal goddesses in the photo above. Ermm
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 06:13

Keep on wondering, Paul. Big smile

- and you even still owe me an answer. Star

Edited by David_D - February 13 2022 at 06:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 06:26

An answer? I'm not sure what the question was. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 08:06

An answer? I'm not sure what the question was. Tongue

Keep on wondering, Paul. Big smile

- and you even still owe me an answer. LOL

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 11:20
I wouldn't call it Symph metal. Gothic is more appropriate, but Evanescence and Lacuna Coil's are great albums, so Evanescence is my vote.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 11:37
Tough choice between Ayreon and Evanescence…but it has to be Ayreon😎
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>