Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anti-War Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 07:29
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 07:42
Probably not the most appropriate one for these times that I could think of, but I found this emotionally resonant.

Redgum - "I Was Only Nineteen"

Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding" (I love the version sung by Robert Wyatt as well as other covers) was the other to immediately come to mind.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 07:47

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 12:44
This one is an iconic anti-war song in the Nordic countries. It has English subtitles.

Edited by The Anders - February 27 2022 at 12:45
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 12:55
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

This is no time for "Give Peace A Chance". We need pro war songs to defeat oppressive tyranny.

Right on Daddio! My old Uncle Peter used to say 'Fight fire with fire' (which is why they had to throw him out of the fire service)

At least your Uncle wasn't a hippie!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 13:55
The Zombies : Butcher's tale
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 14:26
A TON of Pink Floyd, but the best one is "Us And Them"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 15:14
This is my favorite version of Eric Bogle's "The Green Fields of France", sung by June Tabor and titled in her case "No Man's Land/Flowers of the Forest"....

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 27 2022 at 15:14
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 15:17
And while I'm on an Eric Bogle kick, here's the Pogues' version of "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda"...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 16:04
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 16:21
Metallica : For whom the bell tolls (and lot of other in their repertoire)
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 21:24
a few ideas

Barclay James Harvest  "Song for Dying", "Summer Soldier", and "Child of the Universe" 
Strawbs "New World"
Moody Blues "Question"
Levelers "Another Man's Cause"
Gordon Lightfoot "Sit Down Young Stranger"
The Men they Couldn't Hang mostly attacked British imperialism in songs like "The Colours", "Dover Lights", and "Rosettes"
Oysterband's "Fiddle or a Gun" is wonderful
The Decemberists -"This is Why we Fight", "Sixteen Military Wives", "When the War Came"

Edited by kenethlevine - February 27 2022 at 21:25
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 21:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Probably not the most appropriate one for these times that I could think of, but I found this emotionally resonant.

Redgum - "I Was Only Nineteen"

Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding" (I love the version sung by Robert Wyatt as well as other covers) was the other to immediately come to mind.

I love Redgum, though my favourite from them is "The Diamantina Drover", not anti war but a real emotional piece
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 22:22
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Yep, Wyatt's reading for me is exquisitely plaintive and heart warming
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2022 at 13:38
Twelfth Night: "Sequences"!
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 01:34
Never Thought I would revisit this song in my life time. 

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 06:41
The whole of Pink Floyd's Final Cut album, but in particular:

Alternatively, if the above doesn't work for you...

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 07:21
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

21 Century Schizoid Man 

Hi,

Thanks, was going to add this, specially since it makes so much sense these days with Ukraine being senselessly raped.

Another song in the same album also deserves a listing ... EPITATH was pretty much the same thing from a victim's point of view. 

And, maybe ... ANGE's Emile Jacotey deserves a mention ... since it was done 20 years before Roger did his copy ... even if we will have a hard time putting the album in perspective. It's still a beautiful album and it did not have to be "topical" like Roger's was later!

Hard to believe no one mentioned Joan Baez! Maybe some thought she was fake ... though I'm not sure that was the case, impulsive maybe, but not fake!

Edited by moshkito - March 01 2022 at 07:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 08:36

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2022 at 12:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>