Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Van Der Graaf Generator, Milan, May 9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van Der Graaf Generator, Milan, May 9
    Posted: May 19 2022 at 14:40
On Monday 9 May Van der Graaf Generetor performed at the Teatro Nuovo in Milan, after almost two years of post-covid postponement.

The fury with which they showed themselves surprised me. They have played many classics of their golden triad (The Least, H to He, Pawn Hearts), including Refugees, House With No Door and above all the fantastic Man-Erg, which in my opinion is one of the greatest songs ever written.

All three musicians were in good shape and tried to make up for Jackson's absence which, in my opinion, was never quite filled. But Evans and Banton were impressive, truly virtuosos, immense. Hammill is not a virtuoso musician, he is more artisanal, but as a singer ... His performance as a singer was extraordinary and every now and then he had to stop and catch his breath.

And this is precisely the point. Every now and then I thought Oh my God, he's sick. As we know his heart has already given him big problems. Well, a few days after the concert the news of his serious illness arrived, for which he was suddenly operated on. Their European tour was canceled. Great concern.

I just hope Hammill is okay,

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 19 2022 at 14:41
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 15:26
Didn't know about this. All the best to Peter! I had seen them in Genova, and wrote about this elsewhere. They seemed energetic and good and fresh but I agree that Jackson (or also a bassist) would have enriched the sound.
fathomer1963 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fathomer1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 18:02
Saw VDGG in Manchester this Feb. Been waiting since the early 1980's for a chance to see them, so no pressure! In all honesty, the first part of the gig was 'okay', my socks remained firmly attached, as they went over quite a few newer songs which lack the 'bite' of the 1970's material. Second half, though, as a German guy I was chatting to during the gig, said, 'saved the day' - and it did. I ended up feeling more than grateful for a great show. I agree though with the OP's comment, a replacement sax player is needed to fill the gap left by Jacksons departure, as the sound lacks the low frequency 'heft' his bass sax provided. Sadly though, it sounds like Peters health is now too poor, and live shows in the future are now highly unlikely. Hopefully, he will have a full recovery, and enjoy a long retirement after many years of providing excellent albums, and great live shows.
 Post Reply Post Reply