Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream: Untangling the Tangram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 14:45
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Maybe you could start a Danish prog blog to highlight some of the prog artists from your home country, although you might quickly run out of albums to feature. Tongue

If to be serious, and look at the ratings at RYM, it's not that bad, but it is with my motivation for it. Big smile

At least listing all of The Savage Rose's many albums would keep you busy for awhile. Wink

Anyway, I've got ideas for two new threads. Big smile

It's always good to bounce ideas off one another, just like a Ricochet, which is coming up next, Smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 14:54

Maybe you could start a Danish prog blog to highlight some of the prog artists from your home country, although you might quickly run out of albums to feature. Tongue
At least listing all of The Savage Rose's many albums would keep you busy for awhile. Wink

Anyway, I've got ideas for two new threads. Big smile

It's always good to bounce ideas off one another, just like a Ricochet, which is coming up next, Smile

Yes, to keep one busy. Big smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 15:08

But my next thread won't be exactly based on your ideas, or more exactly speaking, tastes. Big smile

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 15:25

But my next thread won't be exactly based on your ideas, or more exactly speaking, tastes. Big smile

I guess we'll have to wait awhile longer for a Danish prog thread then. Wink
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 15:27

I guess we'll have to wait awhile longer for a Danish prog thread then. Wink

LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 15:52

4 stars 1975: Rubycon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd6XL_IOS3I

Rubycon is Tangerine Dream's sixth album overall and the first in a long line of albums where the title track is divided into two long pieces of music occupying each side of the vinyl album. Rubycon is a real jewel in the crown of Tangerine Dream's extensive discography and a highly-regarded album in the emerging Berlin School of German sequencer-driven electronica.
I remember "crossing the Rubicon" of my local Virgin record store to buy this classic second Virgin album way back in the mid-1970's and there's been no going back since. Smile

Something's amiss. The rating should reflect 6 out of 5 stars! It gets a 6th because it's simply that good. Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 23:38
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

4 stars 1975: Rubycon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd6XL_IOS3I

Rubycon is Tangerine Dream's sixth album overall and the first in a long line of albums where the title track is divided into two long pieces of music occupying each side of the vinyl album. Rubycon is a real jewel in the crown of Tangerine Dream's extensive discography and a highly-regarded album in the emerging Berlin School of German sequencer-driven electronica.
I remember "crossing the Rubicon" of my local Virgin record store to buy this classic second Virgin album way back in the mid-1970's and there's been no going back since. Smile

Something's amiss. The rating should reflect 6 out of 5 stars! It gets a 6th because it's simply that good. Clap

That makes a nice change because I'm more often criticised for overrating albums - especially in the case of YES albums. Tongue

Have no fear though as I'm saving my first 5-star Tangerine Dream rating for the glorious heights of Stratosfear. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 12 2022 at 23:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 01:20
4 stars 1975: Ricochet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM1Wc6ha_ic

Ricochet is Tangerine Dream's seventh album overall and their first Live album. In common with many (if not all) of Tangerine Dream's Live albums, Ricochet is composed of all new original material and is not a rehash of music from their studio albums.  Tangerine Dream's fifth album "Phaedra" could be regarded as a transitional album between the "dark ambient" era and their more familiar sequencer-driven sound, but with the Ricochet album, we're now into the full-on Berlin School of electronic music, featuring more percussion and electric guitar. In other words, this album is more like the Tangerine Dream we've all come to know and Love over the years. Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 13 2022 at 07:16
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 02:30
Very nice intro Paul.

I started listening to them back in the 80's and my introduction was via the superb Dream Sequence compilation of the Virgin years 1973-1983. I also love Poland, Le Parc and Underwater Sunlight from that decade. After that it got a bit sketchy and they lost their way a bit it seems until the beautifull Seven Letters From Tibet , based on love letters that Edgar Froese sent to his dear wife. The excellent Booster series plus some gems such as Views From A Red Train and Purgatorio followed. Most recently the theme tune to Stranger Things may be their most listened to track although it hasn't quite done the same for them as the show did for Kate Bush! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 03:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Very nice intro Paul.

I started listening to them back in the 80's and my introduction was via the superb Dream Sequence compilation of the Virgin years 1973-1983. I also love Poland, Le Parc and Underwater Sunlight from that decade. After that it got a bit sketchy and they lost their way a bit it seems until the beautifull Seven Letters From Tibet , based on love letters that Edgar Froese sent to his dear wife. The excellent Booster series plus some gems such as Views From A Red Train and Purgatorio followed. Most recently the theme tune to Stranger Things may be their most listened to track although it hasn't quite done the same for them as the show did for Kate Bush! 
Thanks Richard. I often wonder if anyone has the time to read my long intros. Tongue I'm looking forward to hearing all of those Tangerine Dream albums you mentioned, including many I've never heard before. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 06:15
Mellotronstorm"s review of Pergamon came at just the right time, as it is my fave TD release of the 48 albums I have from them....gulp! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 06:17
5 stars 1976: Stratosfear - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3hueHdzYSI

Stratosfear is Tangerine Dream's eighth major release and it's a real stonker of an album! This is the stunning 5-star masterpiece that soared to new heights of dramatic intensity for me with it's romantic flavour and much more melodic sound. Stratosfear also holds a special place in my heart as it's the first Tangerine Dream album I ever bought, which almost exceeded the "Invisible Limits" of my tight budget (back when vinyl albums cost the princely sum of £2.39) as I'd only just started work at the time back in 1976. Smile 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 13 2022 at 07:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 07:11
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Mellotronstorm"s review of Pergamon came at just the right time, as it is my fave TD release of the 48 albums I have from them....gulp! 

I always associate Pergamon with Robert Maxwell (which can't be a good thing) as his publishing empire was called Pergamon Press. Hopefully, when I've listened to the Pergamon album, I'll associate the name with Tangerine Dream instead. I recall the Pergamon album was subtitled "Quichotte" so I'll have to look that up and find out what it means. Smile 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 08:39

4 stars 1975: Rubycon
That makes a nice change because I'm more often criticised for overrating albums - especially in the case of YES albums. Tongue

So true, Paul, and your rating (4.0) is still higher than the average of all the 6000 ratings on RYM and PA.

Edited by David_D - August 13 2022 at 08:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 09:10

So true, Paul, and your rating (4.0) is still higher than the average of all the 6000 ratings on RYM and PA.
I've just had a quick look at the Tangerine Dream albums page here on PA and noticed Rubycon is the highest-rated studio album with a rating of 4.23, so it's good to know my 4-star rating is not too far out from the average. I'm currently listening to all of Peter Baumann's solo albums (the third member of Tangerine Dream) so he'll be coming up here next, even though his two 1980's New Wave albums leave a lot to be desired. His first album "Romance '76" is really good though, especially bearing in mind it was recorded the same year as the stratospheric Stratosfear album. Smile
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 09:15

I always associate Pergamon with Robert Maxwell (which can't be a good thing) as his publishing empire was called Pergamon Press. Hopefully, when I've listened to the Pergamon album, I'll associate the name with Tangerine Dream instead. I recall the Pergamon album was subtitled "Quichotte" so I'll have to look that up and find out what it means. Smile 
Quichotte is an alternate spelling of "Don Quixote" a famous novel by Manuel de Cervantes about a knight who wants to "courageously" attack windmills, together with his rather smarter cohort Sancho Panza LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 09:24

Quichotte is an alternate spelling of "Don Quixote" a famous novel by Manuel de Cervantes about a knight who wants to "courageously" attack windmills, together with his rather smarter cohort Sancho Panza LOL
Thanks! You learn something new here every day, including learning about the exploits of Don Quixote, who I always used to pronounce as Don Kwik-sote, until I knew better. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 13 2022 at 09:24
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 10:40

I've just had a quick look at the Tangerine Dream albums page here on PA and noticed Rubycon is the highest-rated studio album with a rating of 4.23, so it's good to know my 4-star rating is not too far out from the average. 

As close to as it can be, even I don't find that kind to be so important for one's own rating. Smile

Edited by David_D - August 13 2022 at 11:02
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 11:53

I can tell that I get more fond of it for every new listening, not least Pt. 1 with it's strange mood. 

Edited by David_D - August 13 2022 at 15:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 11:54

I've just had a quick look at the Tangerine Dream albums page here on PA and noticed Rubycon is the highest-rated studio album with a rating of 4.23, so it's good to know my 4-star rating is not too far out from the average. 

As close to as it can be, even I don't find that kind to be so important for one's own rating. Smile
I would've rated the Rubycon album 4.23 too if I could've done. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>