Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream: Untangling the Tangram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 12:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I've just had a quick look at the Tangerine Dream albums page here on PA and noticed Rubycon is the highest-rated studio album with a rating of 4.23, so it's good to know my 4-star rating is not too far out from the average. 

As close to as it can be, even I don't find that kind to be so important for one's own rating. Smile
I would've rated the Rubycon album 4.23 too if I could've done. Tongue

LOL

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 13:57
A brief interlude.....

I featured the solo albums of Edgar Froese earlier in this thread, so it seems only fair I should include Peter Baumann's solo works too, and don't worry, I haven't forgotten Christopher Franke, as he's coming up here later in 1991 to coincide with the release of his first solo album: Pacific Coast Highway. I may even go for the whole enchilada by featuring all of Klaus Schulze's albums too - eventually - after I've finished listing and listening to all of Tangerine Dream's bazillion albums.  Smile

Peter Baumann (born 1953) appeared on all of Tangerine Dream's albums from Zeit (1972) through to the live Encore album in 1977 before departing the band to concentrate on his budding solo career. He released eight albums in total, recorded over the span of forty years from "Romance '76" through to his second collaboration with Paul Haslinger in 2019 with "Neuland" (which roughly translated means "New Land"). "Thankyou Captain Obvious!" - as Cristi would probably say. Tongue 

By the way, you may be better off skipping Peter Baumann's two early 1980's albums, unless you're seriously into the sound of New Wave music, but don't say I didn't warn you if you choose to listen to them anyway. Big smile

2 stars 1983: Peter Baumann - Strangers in the Night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uhoz70YryQ
3 stars 1991: Peter Baumann & Paul Haslinger - Blue Room - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT6pAfB1AY4
3 stars 1996: Peter Baumann - Phase by Phase: A Retrospective '76-'81 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k7oBUKoGX1o0oS-AOxOV1dfZw_4pLhXPA
4 stars 2019: Peter Baumann & Paul Haslinger - Neuland - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJdP6kZNQvK1H1fTyKgUpi5csdNdIjLoP

Peter Baumann - Strangers in the Night (with apologies to Frank Sinatra) Disapprove

Tangerine Dream albums with Peter Baumann:-

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 30 2022 at 14:25
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 14:18
Maybe you missed this one? It's supposed to be a shelved 1973-album of theirs "remixed" in 1984 and released in 1986. Sound very late 1970's to me though. Anyway, beautiful album that would have been counted among their classics - if it actually had been released sometime in the 1970's. Well, I think so.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 14:37
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Maybe you missed this one? It's supposed to be a shelved 1973-album of theirs "remixed" in 1984 and released in 1986. Sound very late 1970's to me though. Anyway, beautiful album that would have been counted among their classics - if it actually had been released sometime in the 1970's. Well, I think so.

It's funny you should mention the Green Desert album as I read earlier that the album failed to bloom in 1973 because the band decided to begin work on the Phaedra album instead. Anyway, thanks for mentioning it and I'll be sure to include Green Desert later here on it's actual release date of 1986. Confused? I will be. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 13 2022 at 14:39
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 14:54

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

4 stars 1975: Rubycon

Something's amiss. The rating should reflect 6 out of 5 stars! It gets a 6th because it's simply that good. Clap

I can tell that I get more fond of it for every new listening, not list Pt. 1 with it's strange mood.

The titular piece is one of their very best! Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 15:05

It's funny you should mention the Green Desert album as I read earlier that the album failed to bloom in 1973 because the band decided to begin work on the Phaedra album instead. Anyway, thanks for mentioning it and I'll be sure to include Green Desert later here on it's actual release date of 1986. Confused? I will be. Tongue

Green Desert is entirely Edgar & Chris because Peter was off on one of his "jaunts." The album became a point of contention for many fans because it was the fifth LP in the box set ...In the Beginning. Relativity and Jive Electro stated the "bonus" album Green Desert would not get a separate release — which, of course, it did.

Personally, I love every square sonic inch of Green Desert and could care less how much was done in '73 or '84!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 15:07
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Mellotronstorm"s review of Pergamon came at just the right time, as it is my fave TD release of the 48 albums I have from them....gulp! 

If you love Quichotte aka Pergamon, this is a must!

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 17:18

4 stars 1975: Rubycon

Something's amiss. The rating should reflect 6 out of 5 stars! It gets a 6th because it's simply that good. Clap

I can tell that I get more fond of it for every new listening, not least Pt. 1 with it's strange mood.

The titular piece is one of their very best! Clap

And after a couple of years with Rubycon, I might be ready for PhaedraBig smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 01:00
4 stars 1977: Sorcerer (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvLFe3nsulY

Sorcerer was the ninth Tangerine Dream album overall and their first of many soundtrack recordings. The William Friedkin movie "Sorcerer" starring Roy Scheider, may have sunk without trace, but the excellent soundtrack still lives on in the memory for Tangerine Dream fans. Heart

Sorcerer (the movie - part 1) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk0zo2f4OG0
Sorcerer (the movie - part 2) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIAB5sWbf7c

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 06 2022 at 15:08
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 04:54

Paul, I hope that you'll see my game. Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 06:38

I'm game if you are. Will there be an Encore? Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 07:06
 5 stars 1977: Encore (Live 1977) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8is0eYVfxs

Encore is Tangerine Dream's tenth album overall, their second Live album and also the second double album (after "Zeit"). Encore consists of all original material (in common with most of Tangerine Dream's Live albums) and was recorded at a number of venues during their successful North American tour. Encore is also notable for being the last album to feature Peter Baumann in the TD trio. He left the band to record two Tangerine Dream-style albums of his own before going off in a totally New Wave direction as Germany's answer to Gary Numan, including a very bizarre cover version of Frank Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night" (see above). Well, it was the 1980's.  Wacko 

1. Cherokee Lane
2. Monolight
3. Coldwater Canyon
4. Desert Dream

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 15 2022 at 02:43
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 07:13

I'm game if you are. Will there be an Encore? Wink

I don't know yet, but it might be quite a story. Smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 07:38

And now, you're already a part of it. Big smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 13:01

Tangerine Dream are best-known for their classic 1970's albums on the Virgin label and they really soared to the heights of the Stratosfear and beyond with the success of their fourth Virgin album in 1976. 

I begin to feel like Rubycon can bring me to higher levels of....whatever they are. Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 13:19

Tangerine Dream are best-known for their classic 1970's albums on the Virgin label and they really soared to the heights of the Stratosfear and beyond with the success of their fourth Virgin album in 1976. 

I begin to feel like Rubycon can bring me to higher levels of....whatever they are. Tongue

It's just like crossing the Rubicon - you'll know when you've reached those higher levels. Smile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 14:27

Green Desert is entirely Edgar & Chris because Peter was off on one of his "jaunts." The album became a point of contention for many fans because it was the fifth LP in the box set ...In the Beginning. Relativity and Jive Electro stated the "bonus" album Green Desert would not get a separate release — which, of course, it did.

Personally, I love every square sonic inch of Green Desert and could care less how much was done in '73 or '84!
Yes I love it too. Every square sonic inch. Nevertheless I'd find it somewhat interesting if it's "purely" a 1973-recording. Because if that is so, I'd say it's a very much a foreshadowing album. Both for Tangerine Dream and for electronic music in general.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 14:51

LOL

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing of this one.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 15:03

LOL

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing of this one.

If I could be that precise, I'd rate each of Tangerine Dream's albums progressively higher from 1974 onwards, so for instance, 4.0 for Phaedra, 4.23 for Rubycon, 4.50 for Ricochet, and 4.90 for the dizzy heights of Stratosfear. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 16:28

5 stars 1977: Encore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8is0eYVfxs

Encore is Tangerine Dream's tenth album overall, their second Live album and also the second double album (after "Zeit"). Encore consists of all original material (in common with most of Tangerine Dream's Live albums) and was recorded at a number of venues during their successful North American tour. Encore is also notable for being the last album to feature Peter Baumann in the TD trio. He left the band to record two Tangerine Dream-style albums of his own before going off in a totally New Wave direction as Germany's answer to Gary Numan, including a very bizarre cover version of Frank Sinatra's "Strangers in the Night" (see above). Well, it was the 1980's.  Wacko 

Two more stellar recordings!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 37>