Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Emerson, Lake" & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 12:48
I'd like to see it. I missed Palmer when he came to L.A. a few years ago, and I wish I could have seen it. I've only seen him with ELP back in '77 and then again during Asia's first tour, and the latter wasn't much. Any chance to see him perform again would be great. A living legend.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 10:51
Again...50th ANNIVERSARY, one off tour !
Take a chill pill everyone.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 07:33
I've seen the Carl Palmer ELP Legacy trio a number of times, and I recall at nearly every show Carl would explain between songs why he took an instrumental-only group out on tour (with no keyboardist)....he said he didn't want to be like "those other old prog bands" who rely on nostalgia by replacing band members who pass on, etc.   He wanted to present the old ELP stuff in a different format.  I respected that and his ELP Legacy are/were a hell of a live band.

I don't understand this macabre approach....wtf Carl?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 05:39
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^As this recent promo shot from Steve Howe clearly shows.  LOL

LOL
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 05:04
^As this recent promo shot from Steve Howe clearly shows.  LOL

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 02:19
Well if Yes continue in their current path, some of its members will be in worse condition than a hologram! LOL

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 01:43

I wouldn't dislike something like this. Not sure about Emerson and Lake on the screen
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 15:46
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Agreed, ELP were awesome live but I had to wait until the 'Black Moon' tour!!

Same here!

Yep, me too!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 12:12
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Same here!
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 11:54

Having seen them live no less than 5 times (incl. ELPowell), nothing could ever replace them actually playing together on stage. A big part of the allure for me was their ability to improvise and make each and every concert unique. I hope somewhere down the road a video will be made available of this event.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 09:44
Having seen them live no less than 5 times (incl. ELPowell), nothing could ever replace them actually playing together on stage. A big part of the allure for me was their ability to improvise and make each and every concert unique. I hope somewhere down the road a video will be made available of this event.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 07:23

It sounds like some of you are not getting the point that both the Emerson and Lake estates are benefiting from this and have given their blessing to make it happen. Neither would see a dime if Carl just did his same old same old. So money grab? How about providing revenue for the surviving members of the E&L families ?
Plus, it's a 50th Anniversary celebration of ELP so why wouldn't the other two souls (pun intended) be included.
Haters be haters, I learned to tune them out long ago. I personally have never seen these types of events before so I might find it interesting, hard to say.

Very much so. Although I'm not heating up very much for this kind of things, it is at least a creative, interesting and maybe also a great way to perform their wonderful music. I'm very happy to have seen them live on their Black Moon tour and I don't think this event will be as impressive, but it is good to continue to perform a great musical legacy.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 06:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Bad idea. I'm surprised Palmer would do such a thing.

We all have bills to pay......although I have no desire to see such a circus show.

Hi,

Heyyyyy ... c'mon ... where's the kid in you? THE CLOWNS ARE FUNNY! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 14:50
How about Emerson, Huntley & Palmer? That line-up would really take the biscuit! Tongue

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 14:10
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I saw Zappa plays Zappa a few years back and thought it was great so saw them on the next tour and it was cut with bits of film and solos from Frank with Dweezil playing along, looking up lovingly at his old man.. and i found it rather saccharine and it rather spoiled it ...

Hi,

I think that ZPZ was already losing it, and the hassle Dweezil was having with his brother and the rest of the family was not helping, and maybe using some of the film stuff was a way to help sell some of the old stuff.

All in all, I think ZPZ was already on the decline, and it showed in a show here in Oregon (Eugene) where they opened for RETURN TO FOREVER, and in the end, ZPZ came off like a garage band, and not ready for prime time, which I think was really sad and Dweezil even messed things up more by giving some credit to Chick Corea (Moog on King Kong), and ignored the also well-known Jean-Luc Ponty who was a part of more than one of Frank's albums. 

All in all, it just made RTF look and sound even better, and you and I know that Frank would not have enjoyed that and probably fire all the musicians!

Carl's thing ... is scary and weird, and I think the whole thing will get dropped if the first show does not stand up as really fine. I suppose there is a possibility of some fine work to be done that had not been done before, but all in all ... it's just a sad thing and I would not buy a ticket.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 13:16
This is wrong on so many levels.

HOWever, Carl could do it in a way that would more than likely by accepted by most: to do this only, and I mean only, as an ENCORE segment after the initial set proper by the Carl Palmer Trio.

The lights come down, suddenly two large screens flank Carl, and it's...the "return" of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. "They" do a few signature trio songs, e.g. "Knife Edge," "Tarkus" (abridged), "Tank," "The Barbarian." The show ends.

That's how it could work, but that's not the setup.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 12:35
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Bad idea. I'm surprised Palmer would do such a thing.

We all have bills to pay......although I have no desire to see such a circus show.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 10:41
^If I may quote the current leader of the free world (yeah, whatever) "Everyone has the right to be an idiot" LOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 09:45
It's a forum, people express opinions.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 05:22
Well, if it comes to the UK, I would go.  ELP were pioneers and I see this as an excellent way to preserve their legacy.  Keep sticking the boot in - this happened while Keith and Greg were alive and it got to them (with tragic consequences).  Miserable lot.  No one is making you pay for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>