Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree - C/C, Radio City, 9/16/22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree - C/C, Radio City, 9/16/22
    Posted: September 17 2022 at 21:23
Last night I caught PT at the venerable Radio City Music Hall as they continued their much anticipated comeback tour. I can confirm that the band is in top form and are putting on an exciting show with a few wonderful surprises. Their first set kicked off with "Blackest Eyes" before an introduction from Wilson and the first three cuts from Closure/Continuation, which he had announced as challenging to play before pulling them off flawlessly. "Rats Return", unlike the others before it, had no video playing with it, but the use of lights during the song cast long, twisted shadows from Wilson and the band onto the walls next to the stage. The set continued with various older deep cuts, leading into the return almost twenty years later of "Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled" - complete with videos of Marshall Applewhite - and finally the debut of "Chimera's Wreck", whose cosmic video ultimately led into a depiction of father walking with son, Wilson and his late dad.

The second set was focused on Fear of A Blank Planet cuts and the keys and electronics of both Barbieri and Wilson. For the FOABP tracks the old videos from the 2007/2008 tours were shown. A particularly excellent performance of "Walk The Plank" led into "Sentimental", and they later played "Anesthetize" in full before finishing the set with "Sleep Together"*.

The encore kicked off with In Absentia's "Collapse The Light Into Earth" - from what I've seen this tour is the first time they've played it live - before a rousing grand finale of "Halo" and the band's "hit" "Trains". My final thoughts turn to bassist Nate Navarro and hometown hero guitarist Randy McStine of Lo-Fi Resistance, who were nothing short of perfect in their performance with PT. Navarro in particular had brobdingnagian shoes to fill replacing Colin Edwin and playing Wilson's madcap bass for "Harridan" yet was stellar at Radio City.

* A note: the second set can vary a little. The three preceding shows on the tour featured "I Drive The Hearse" after "Anesthetize", though it was not played in Manhattan. Furthermore, "Sentimental" was played in Toronto and NY, but not Laval or Boston.
maxsmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxsmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 03:00
A 3 hour show with 20 tracks.  I feel people got their money's worth.  It is expensive to go to Radio City.  However, even up in the mezzanine, the seats are good (I was in the second mezzanine).  The band played RCMH in 2010 and it was like a farewell show.  This time they came back with a vengeance.  I felt Steven was really trying to impress all the important music people in the audience.
 Post Reply Post Reply