Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands whose albums sound the same

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands whose albums sound the same
    Posted: October 06 2022 at 13:38
Please note this is meant as a humourous post! For me there are several prog bands who seem to produce basically the same album at regular intervals, albeit with minor variations. For me the main culprits are IQ and Ozric Tentacles. This is not to say I dislike them - in fact the opposite! Any more suggestions?!?!

Edited by Duddick - October 06 2022 at 16:57
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 13:43
Sylvan's tend to sound quite similar. It's also been said of Subsignal?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 13:57
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

Please note this is meant as a humorous post! For me there are several prog bands who seem to produces basically the same album at regular intervals, albeit with minor variations. For me the main culprits are IQ and Ozric Tentacles. This is not to say I dislike them - in fact the opposite! Any more suggestions?!?!

It's funny you should mention Ozric Tentacles, because that's the first band that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. Smile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 14:24
AC/DC
IQ
Arena
Transatlantic
Flower Kings
Dream Theater
Black Sabbath

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 15:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Please note this is meant as a humorous post! For me there are several prog bands who seem to produces basically the same album at regular intervals, albeit with minor variations. For me the main culprits are IQ and Ozric Tentacles. This is not to say I dislike them - in fact the opposite! Any more suggestions?!?!

It's funny you should mention Ozric Tentacles, because that's the first band that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. Smile

Me, too! And, like you said, OP, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but, a day spent in Ozric's tentacles or IQ's brain can be a bit numbing.

I hate to say it, but, despite covering so many styles over the course a of each single album release (which are usually 120+ mins. long), The Flower Kings, to my ears, seem to make the same album over and over and over ...

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 16:22
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

AC/DC
IQ
Arena
Transatlantic
Flower Kings
Dream Theater
Black Sabbath

AC/DC is a great example. Possibly the best example but Black Sabbath? Nah. There's some variation there. Sure, some of the records sound similar but not all.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 18:16
I never thought of IQ but then again I'm not overly familiar with all of their material. I think The Flower Kings started to all sound the same after a while. I'm not sure who else. Ozric Tentacles and AC/DC are obvious examples. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 18:22
Blackmore's Night, Dream Theatre, Tangerine Dream, and I also like their music a lot. In general, the whole Prog Metal genre sounds quite similar to me, specially the guitar solos.

Edited by Manuel - October 06 2022 at 20:17
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 20:06
Here’s how Angus Young reacted to the criticism regarding the sound of AC/DC album:

“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.”

From: Here's How Angus Young Reacts To Claims That AC/DC's All Albums Sound Like The Same - Metalhead Zone

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 22:30
The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Karfagen, TFK, Karmakanic aaaaaaand... The Flower Kings.
malsader View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote malsader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 00:09
Pineapple Thief
Gazpacho
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 00:37
Out of the prog world Dire Straits is an example. An Italian singer-songwriter, Antonello Venditti has done it more deeply: not just the same album. He is repeating more or less the same song since the 80s.
I totally agree about Ozric Tentacles and Blackmore's Night.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 00:53

Mmm now that you have mentioned it. I agree with you. Also like others mentioned TFK too.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 01:52
I suspect another round of Neo prog bashing just round the corner.

I tend to think that technology plays quite a big part in 'the sound'. Bands that use technology a lot , in fact embrace it will likely have more variety of sounds on offer. In the 70's I was a massive ELP fan because every album sounded different. They were at the forefront of innovation. On the other hand the likes of Tull and Genesis had minimal interest to me at the time.

A lot of bands though (the vast majority in fact) prefer not to veer that much from the tried and tested. Try and name me a band that changes that much from album to album within Symph and Neo? I doubt there are that many and normally it comes a change in singer as much as anything else. I mean Big Big Train in the Dave Longdon era do sound remarkably samey album to album. Does anyone really care? It's all a bit spurious to me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 01:53
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Mmm now that you have mentioned it. I agree with you. Also like others mentioned TFK too.

I like The Flower Kings, even though all of their albums sound the same to me.  At least they're consistent. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 06:45

Please note this is meant as a humourous post! For me there are several prog bands who seem to produce basically the same album at regular intervals, albeit with minor variations. For me the main culprits are IQ and Ozric Tentacles. This is not to say I dislike them - in fact the opposite! Any more suggestions?!?!

Hi,

Not sure how this will come out ... here goes.

I find it strange that folks will list TD as sounding the same. If any bunch of folks created that much music, they would be appreciated, and them "sounding the same", is a dead-on comment that the person stating it did not spend time listening at all ... it's akin to saying that all Mozart sounds the same, and all the Beethoven sounds the same ... and it could be true when you look at all the instruments used ... they are the same ... thus thinking a band sounds the same is a poor evaluation of the groups music altogether regardless of who they are!

I might like to joke that something sounded the same, when it comes to so many of the "new" bands being added in the various progressive fields here on PA ... it's actually really sad, because almost none of these groups have any idea what music really is ... or what it means! It's more about being "progressive" than it is about who you are, and the music is!

And this was my biggest issue on one thread with the guy asking about his music ... he, himself, has no idea, and is hoping to find an audience before he even puts something together, and that's an accident waiting to happen, and he's going to find one day that music is just not for him at all! He lacks the inner vision to get past everything outside of his inner self! End of the new music, right there!

It's hard to not say that one band or another sounds the same, though. I like DT, but to my ears it has become really repetitive and not original and the use of the musicians in the band is out of sync ... it's all about the guitar and no one cares about anything else. It's a veritable Berklee graduate, with very poor musical credentials beyond the knowledge of counting to 4, or 8, or 12, or 16 ... and making sure you fit in it. They do not know what improvisation is and are not capable of helping the players develop their intuitive side, instead stating that the intuitive side belongs to the players, not the teachers. They, obviously, have never heard about the many folks in theater that created improvisations to help take the theater further than ever ... but music is a sacred old cow that can't do anything else ... thus is sounding the same is not a surprise. And having a school that lacks the vision to help students go further beyond the notes? 

RIGHT!

You have to have it INSIDE for it to sound different, and I'm not sure that most do, and it shows on the listening lists on a lot of PA threads. Folks simply do not listen to much of anything else except what they know ... otherwise I doubt you would see someone asking for music that is dark and somber, or erotically charged, or sick, or bands that sound like ...  Tongue

One other detail ... ALL MUSIC THAT IS BEAT DRIVEN will sound the same to a point. Rap has nice things, but without the drumbeat, it falls flat and the worth of the lyrics is wasted. None of those folks have figured out that the words have to matter, in that kind of music, and most of them don't. The same goes for a lot of music that is beat driven ... I don't dislike THE FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON or that venue of folks that depend on a beat to make you think they are original and clever ... well, some are, but original? More like boring in my book.

Rock music, in general, has to get past the guitar, bass, drums and maybe a keyboard ... that quartet is like Mozart concertos ... how many of those for one instrument? And too many bands are starting to sound like Mozart in that area, sort of a note changed here and there, let's say, for fun! 

Edited by moshkito - October 07 2022 at 06:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 06:49
(Responding to Psychedelic Paul's post above ^ ):
   I think that's part of the point here, Paul: Sameness / consistency can be a good thing! It's nice to know when you spin a TFK, IQ, Spock's Beard, Mono, Agalloch, Samurai of Prog, or even Aranis album that you can expect a certain kind of sound--one that, for many, you enjoy.

Edited by BrufordFreak - October 07 2022 at 06:50
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 07:00
Interesting point(s), Pedro. I think I know what you mean. Artists like Steve Hackett, Toby Driver and Richard Wileman (KARDA ESTRA) might be good examples of people who feel their music--who create because the music is trying to get out of them, not because they're trying to create a following or fit into a category. I know there are many others, but those are three that pop into my head immediately. 

Steve had to leave a great gig in order to find room to fully realize all that was trying to burst out of him.

Toby keeps reinventing himself, his sound, his collaborators, in order to express the things that are affecting him

Richard has a familiar sound palette that he works with, and perhaps uses other literary/artistic inspirators, but each album he produces is so different from the others--he keeps evolving, trying new forms for expression. 

Tu comprends? Am I right?

Drew Fisher
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 07:03
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Blackmore's Night, Dream Theatre, Tangerine Dream, and I also like their music a lot. In general, the whole Prog Metal genre sounds quite similar to me, specially the guitar solos.

If you think all of Tangerine Dream's albums sound the same, then try Dante's Divine Comedy trilogy:- Inferno (2002); Purgatorio (2004); & Paradiso (2006). They're a little bit different. Wink
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 07:48
I can see where you guys are coming with Ozric Tentacles, but as for me I think they have 4 distinct phases: 80's, classic albums, modern/eletronic (waterfall cities onwards) and current one (technicians of the sacred onwards, with Balázs Szende on drums) :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>