Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now That I Think About It...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now That I Think About It...
    Posted: December 04 2022 at 14:56

Pay particular attention to #45 & #38

Edited by JD - December 05 2022 at 08:14
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 05:57
45 and 38 are very commonly known factors, at least to me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 06:34
Glen Matlock, talking about the break-up of The Sex Pistols, said:- "It wasn't in our destiny to have a progressive phase where we made a folk record and went on tour with Barclay James Harvest". LOL
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 07:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Glen Matlock, talking about the break-up of The Sex Pistols, said:- "It wasn't in our destiny to have a progressive phase where we made a folk record and went on tour with Barclay James Harvest". LOL

They had an humoristic phase, though!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 07:28
Number 28
It was not Gary's fault that Van Halen album sucked, when the brothers wrote the music. It would have sucked no matter who sang. And Gary Cherone was given a bad hand. He did what he could under the circumstances. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 07:32
Number 45
The Drama album story told there made me sad (for lack of a better word). Were Yes fans so narrowminded back then?! Or the media of the time?! I get it the tour didn't work, but the album was not successful either which is strange to me. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 09:51
Funny sh*t........
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 19:09
Hi,

Not only is it funny, it also shows how much the music industry was so out of it, because they wanted to make sure they kept their money ... and never thought there was more money to be made. 

The Beatles thing is famous ... no long hairs, and nearly the same thing happened to The Rolling Stones, but when the Beatles busted out of the gate, many folks wanted immediately something else, and the Rolling Stones were ready ... well, I would think that The Kinks were "readier" but their material was not anything new, even though it had a lot of funny moments and stuff. Very English. 

Will the stuck up upper class in England ever learn? Nahhhhh ... they will continue with the nice photos and media crunch of the King and the pair behind him! This way you ignore all the sh*t they leave behind! Reminds me of the film with Helen Mirren about the Queen during the ending credits ... it allows a small doggie to take a pit stop and poop. It says it all, really!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 19:46
I'm not sure if Mountain deciding to be in the Woodstock film would have bettered their career. The reason being that people like Leslie West and Bob the bearhite from Canned Heat wouldn't have been as appealing by 1973 when Stadium Rock and the pretty boy image in Rock flooded the nation.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 20:11
The reality of Mountain and Canned Heat were far from being charismatic ..but still appreciated musically by the mass was attributed to the mindset of the youth.

When Woodstock turned into a financial disaster ..Larry Maggot had a realization that if the idea of massive crowds could be tried again by using stadiums..that he could make a fortune. . He basically controlled Electric Factory Concerts. More bands began appearing in stadiums. The Fillmore East and West closed down .

In the 60s you could see Pink Floyd at the Electric Factory. The audience and band were more friendly. If Syd Barrett or David Gilmour ..or Jimi Hendrix walked off the stage they might say hello to you and there was not a nazi type of dividing point between the audience and the artist.

With stadiums...the band were distant and not reachable. The youth began treating Rock stars iconic. Larry Maggot had a lot to do with influencing society to believe that Rock bands were untouchable. It wasn't always like that with every band in the 60s. Nevertheless he took that away. In the mid 80s The Who played a concert in Cincinnati Ohio. He was too cheap to hire enough security to open all the doors of the arena. So a hundred thousand kids converged on 2 doors and 11 people were crushed to death. All to save money. The next day on the news..the blame was placed on The Who for influencing kids badly. It was all about money..

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - December 05 2022 at 21:31
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 20:13
That "bigger than Jesus" thing sure showed that even back then Americans had a really strange notion about freedom of speech, especially those folks down south. 

Just ask The (Dixie) Chicks.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 20:13
Peter Grant never forgave himself for not booking Zeppelin for Woodstock

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 20:18
 “Kids today don’t know the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper,” Robin Gibb said at the time. “When ours comes out [the dreadful movie from 1979] it will be, in effect, as if theirs never existed.” 

Egoistic imbecile. A new remaster of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper could be released tomorrow and sell another million units. The Bees Gees? They're a Trivial Pursuit question about disco. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2022 at 06:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Number 45
The Drama album story told there made me sad (for lack of a better word). Were Yes fans so narrowminded back then?! Or the media of the time?! I get it the tour didn't work, but the album was not successful either which is strange to me. 

I found quite revealing this documentary:

Source: http://www.mellotronweb.com.ar/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2022 at 07:09
One not included is Emerson, Lake and Palmer's decision to go 'orchestral' when they were so well known for pioneering the use of synthesiser in rock music. Within a year or two their previous commercial success plummeted with further ill advised releases, so much so that the band broke up. You may say that Love Beach was the bigger mistake but the band were already on the way down.

The Yes thing was down to horrible negative publicity. Drama never had a chance, I only acquired it about 10 years ago and even up to then wasn't prepared to give it a chance. This forum very much educated me and put me right on that!

Edited by richardh - December 06 2022 at 07:11
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2022 at 13:01
Re: Yes Drama Tour

Everything I've heard about this tour said there were no real problems in the USA. The problems started and ended when the band toured the UK. The American fans were far more accepting of Horn and Downes than the British fans. Funny that the article quoted Rick Wakeman, who of course was not there, but was told about it by Chris Squire much later.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 00:26
Well it seems the article was more criticizing the tour itself. There isn't much said about the album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 00:36
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Well it seems the article was more criticizing the tour itself. There isn't much said about the album.

They imply bringing Trevor and Geoff in the band was a mistake in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong... 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 19:50
They always trashed the groups I liked, so I take it with a grain of salt. Drama is a great album. The Buggles did an amazing job holding Yes together until the other Trevor gave a 2nd 80s reboot. Machine Messiah is incredibly good and can easily get stuck in your head. Trevor Horn’s vocals are impressive on Drama. The revolving door of Yes artists is an interesting story with a lot of Drama.
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 20:55
The Drama album reached #2 in the British charts and #18 in the US charts, so considering the line up change it did pretty good in my opinion.  
I am sure though for some Yes fans to see someone other than Jon singing would be quite a shock (if only they knew what was to come)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>