Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best instrumental prog albums you've ever heard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best instrumental prog albums you've ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 09:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One that came out only just recently is Zombi - Direct Inject. So impressed I purchased it on vinyl and had a listen earlier today. They are a 2 piece USA band that have been around for 20 years. Their sound is heavily influenced by John Carpernter's film soundtrack music but others have compared them a little to Rush and Goblin. Personally I am hearing Gary Numan's 1979 releases Replicas (as Tubeway Army) and The Pleasure Principle in what they do. There is a lot of that vintage Polymoog sound but I also love the drums, the guy plays 'in the pocket' and is a very crisp player indeed. A lovely little gem of an album and already a favourite of mine for this year (just what is it with bands beginning with the letter Z Smile)

Direct Inject is already in Zombi's top three releases, at least for me. I can't stop spinning it. They've perfected the conveyance of the Goblin vibe yet deftly avoid the pastiche pitfall. "Sessuale I & II" are pieces composed twenty years ago, but unreleased till now (unveiled on the last tour). "So Mote It Be" and "Insurmountable Odds" should make the current iteration of Tangerine Dream envious.

Did you hear their 2021 EP Liquid Crystal?

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:15
Daevid Allen's Gong's spacey psychedelia was removed under Pierre Moerlen's direction. Instead, the framework was created for proggy jazz-rock with lots of percussion. Along with his brother, Benoît, Pierre was helped by three other percussionists. Indeed, vibraphone, marimbas, glockenspiel, congas, and who knows what else are some fantastic percussions that are definitely worth listening to.
Additionally, after spending a brief time with the Soft Machine, Allan Holdsworth performs as a guest on "Gazeuse!" where he really makes an effort to play very melodic. Holdsworth fantastically shares the melodic guitar duties with Didier Malherbe's sax. Surely one of Holdsworth's finest studio recordings from the 1970s is on "Gazeuse!".
Francis Moze, a former Magma bassist, completed the line-up so well.
Not only the absence of vocals but also a unique aspect of this "Gong" incarnation is the near total lack of keyboards; bassist Moze only adds some electric piano in the brief "Mireille" ballad-like track that is composed by him. However, you never miss the keyboards since the vast array of percussion instruments ensures a lively yet rich sound.   
"Gazeuse!" (1976) is without a doubt one of the proggiest jazz-rock records from the golden era. Amazing record that sounds fantastic even now.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 16:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

One that came out only just recently is Zombi - Direct Inject. So impressed I purchased it on vinyl and had a listen earlier today. They are a 2 piece USA band that have been around for 20 years. Their sound is heavily influenced by John Carpernter's film soundtrack music but others have compared them a little to Rush and Goblin. Personally I am hearing Gary Numan's 1979 releases Replicas (as Tubeway Army) and The Pleasure Principle in what they do. There is a lot of that vintage Polymoog sound but I also love the drums, the guy plays 'in the pocket' and is a very crisp player indeed. A lovely little gem of an album and already a favourite of mine for this year (just what is it with bands beginning with the letter Z Smile)

Direct Inject is already in Zombi's top three releases, at least for me. I can't stop spinning it. They've perfected the conveyance of the Goblin vibe yet deftly avoid the pastiche pitfall. "Sessuale I & II" are pieces composed twenty years ago, but unreleased till now (unveiled on the last tour). "So Mote It Be" and "Insurmountable Odds" should make the current iteration of Tangerine Dream envious.

I've only just discovered them thanks to it coming up as a recommendation on my streaming service.

I had a listen to that video on my laptop but would need to hear it on my proper hi-fi system to get a better idea. Nice stuff though. I will definitely delve further into their back catalogue. Cheers for the info Thumbs Up
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 01:34
Gilbert Artman is a French multi-instrumentalist and composer who actually created this incredibly eclectic collection of psychedelic sounds on a 1975 experimental rock album entitled "I'm Around About Midnight." Artman plays tenor saxophone, vibes, drums, percussion, grand piano, and Hammond organ on this album. Two of his guests on the record, Antoine Duvernet and Alain Audat, are performing on synthesisers, alto and tenor saxophones, and flutes. Richard Pinhas of the band Heldon plays guitar, and his guitar playing is quite exciting here. This is a very good record, very French, very nice.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 02:48
The American instrumental progressive metal band Zombie Frogs was founded while the members were students at Boston's Berklee College of Music. Their lone album, "Awaken" (2014), has a fairly symphonic sound, with piano used extensively and some classical arrangements. The album features extremely well-composed instrumentals; there are a few brief jazz interludes, brilliant guitar solos, and some outstanding keyboard works.
Although this is a metal album, it's not particularly heavy at all, so not only progressive metal aficionados could find listening to this magnificent album to be a really pleasant experience. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 11:18
Five pages in and no mention of the illustrious Djam Karet, who formed forty years ago, in 1984, and released their twentieth album Island in the Red Night Sky in 2022!

"The Packing House" from Recollection Harvest (2005)

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 15:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

A few of mine (including some already mentioned) :

Camel - The Snow Goose
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift
Banco - Di Terra
Anglagard - all three
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Mahavishnu Orchestra - First two (IMF & BoF)

Also, someone mentioned Sky. I only have the second one which is very good. Also Bulbs-On is very good too. 

First Anglagard is not a full instrumental ;-)
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 18:07
"At the Cliffs of River Rhine," an astonishing live album from the German band Agitation Free, was recorded live by the West German Broadcasting Cologne (WDR) in 1974 and released in 1998. It has excellent sound quality, beautiful artwork, and the very detailed, excessive, and extremely amusing history of the band can be read in the booklet on around 32 pages in a conversation with bassist Michael "Fame" Güther.
The Krautrock components, like long improvisations, floating synhesiser sounds, cosmic guitar soloing, and catchy rhythms, are all so deftly weaved together that you can't help but wander through the musical flow.

Edited by Moyan - April 15 2024 at 02:28
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 19:32

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've only just discovered them thanks to it coming up as a recommendation on my streaming service.

I had a listen to that video on my laptop but would need to hear it on my proper hi-fi system to get a better idea. Nice stuff though. I will definitely delve further into their back catalogue. Cheers for the info Thumbs Up

Welcome aboard the Zombi train! Right this way...!

Warm up the plastic because there's a good number of releases between Zombi proper and Moore (under his own name, and Lovelock) & Paterra (as Majeure)!

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 03:04
XaDu is a progressive fusion duo consisting of Serbian guitarist Dušan Jevtović, who resides in Barcelona, and Spanish percussionist Xavi Reija. In 2016, the duo put out the experimental and puzzling "Random Abstract" album. 
The ability to have one player keep the melody in play while the other players are free to harmonise, play counterpoint, or just let loose is a major benefit of performing complex instrumental work in a trio or quartet. For Xavi Reija and Dušan Jevtović, this was the situation. Jevtović is a very skilled and forward-thinking guitarist who creates a variety of moods, from dreamy and serene to loud and aggressive, rockier sounds. Meanwhile, Reija's virtuosity on the drums is showcased with endless, ever-changing figures. Both are fantastic musicians who have invested a lot of energy and effort into this record, and one can hear it. 
Also, credit goes to MoonJune Records' owner and producer, Leonardo Pavković, for his wonderful vision and assistance to these gifted musicians. 
Material for "Random Abstract" was recorded live in a studio in Barcelona.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 04:00
Spanish multi-instrumentalist and composer Ferdinand Marin Vega's project "GreyField" (2014) brought majestic instrumental symphonic rock, not without a hint of wonderful Mediterranean folklore. Here, the majority of the tunes are driven by wind instruments and keyboards alternately instead of guitars, which makes for some surprisingly lovely and energising music. In the important portions, there's a magnificent organ and mellotron that transports us back to the 1970s, and the winds are mostly lovely flutes. The majority of the guitar used on the album is a pleasant acoustic that winds and backs the keyboards flawlessly. A little bit of uncommon electric guitar rounds out the arrangement for one of the album's standout instrumentals.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 20:44
"The Outland" is the third solo album by Sankt Peterbourg's pianist Gleb Kolyadin, who is currently residing in the UK. He is most recognised for being one half of the renowned chamber prog combo iamthemorning. Even though it incorporates a variety of genres—from symphonic rock to jazz-rock—it does so with a logical compositional soar and a smooth flow. It's incredibly lovely, and the other musicians—Vlad Avy on guitar, Gavin Harrison on drums, and special guests like award-winning Eliza Marshall on flute, Tony Levin on upright bass, Grigory Losenkov, who did string arrangements, and the Collegium Cantus ensemble with its wordless choir singing—all make amazing contributions, adding vibrant colours and lushness to the trio. "The Outland" (2022) features some stunning and dramatic moments as well in its six instrumentals that are complementary to one another and revolve around Kolyadin's grand piano and synthesiser, creating an unstoppable creative flow. 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 21:17
Svettie?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 21:20
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

A few of mine (including some already mentioned) :

Camel - The Snow Goose
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift
Banco - Di Terra
Anglagard - all three
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Mahavishnu Orchestra - First two (IMF & BoF)

Also, someone mentioned Sky. I only have the second one which is very good. Also Bulbs-On is very good too. 

First Anglagard is not a full instrumental ;-)

Confused
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 22:18

Svettie?
Didn't I already tell you that I'm not Swettie? Why do you insist?
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 22:22
Despite the fact that the Argentine band Ünder Linden was only formed in 2006, its members have a variety of backgrounds from bands that played in Argentina in the 1980s and 1990s. With their brilliant second album, "Espacios Intermedios" (English: "Intermediate Spaces"), Ünder Linden delivers instrumental symphonic rock that is firmly rooted in the 70s tradition but with remarkably contemporary sound and production styles. Ünder Linden doesn't appear to have received much attention outside of their own country, but given the quality of their content, they definitely deserve more attention. 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 01:10
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Svettie?

Because you behave just like him. LOL
I wanted to ask the same question. LOL
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 02:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Svettie?

I'm afraid I can't help you on that issue LOL
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 02:53
The Mexican chamber rock band Nazca was playing mysterious, surreal, and complex instrumental music. Nazca began off in 1980, established by Alejandro Sanchez (violin) and Carlo Nicolau (piano and cello), who were later joined by three other musicians. All five individuals were classically trained performers. They had released two studio albums and one phenomenal live record.

"Estación de Sombra" (English: "Shadow Station"), released in 1986, is their second studio record. Following the creative success of their excellent self-titled debut, Nazca decided to explore a more expansive sound for their second and, sadly, last studio album, "Estación de Sombra." They did this while maintaining the magical tension that had been so masterfully delivered in "Nazca." Overall, "Estación de Sombra" exhibits a more confident use of acoustic structures, stronger dynamics between the musicians, and a more elegant use of tension. Particularly astonishing are Carlo Nicolau's piano playing and bassoon parts conveyed by Juan Carlos Ruiz, in spite of the fact that the rest of the individuals play incredible parts as well. 

Edited by Moyan - April 17 2024 at 03:25
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 03:13

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Svettie?

I'm afraid I can't help you on that issue LOL

If you say so, still,  I don't believe you. LOL
If you are not him, then it's the weirdest of coincidences. LOL

Edited by Cristi - April 17 2024 at 03:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>