1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
7 [30.43%]
2 [8.70%]
1 [4.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mostly jazzy all the time
    Posted: February 01 2023 at 17:24
More absolute favourites of mine that are somewhat obscure, but these need some attention hence this poll, and the next one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 18:04
Hopper/Gowen - superb
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 19:11
Of the few I know, I'm going with Zyma's Thoughts. I really like that album.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 19:25
Soft Machine- Floating World Live
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 00:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Of the few I know, I'm going with Zyma's Thoughts. I really like that album.

my vote as well. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 00:18
I think Out Of Focus - Four Letter Afternoon is mostly wonderful. So I voted for it. But admittedly i've listened more often to Zyma - Thoughts in the last decade. That Frob album is really nice too. It's got some of the energy, drive and rawness I enjoy so much in that Association (P.C)'s Earwax-album.

On paper Dedicated To You, But You Weren't Listening should be a dream come through and the perfect album for me. An enjoyable mess, but not essential to me.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 01:17
Out Of Focus
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 15:36
Soft Machine takes my vote, among all these excellent recordings.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 16:41
Zyma
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 17:19
Thanks everyone I will respond to some of these comments.
I voted Antique Seeking Nuns despite it being an EP I just love their sound. Matt the keyboardist has been a joy over the years messaging me, such a nice man. He sent me the one EP of the three I couldn't get at the time. 

No votes for National Health's live album Playtime. Taken from 2 shows with the same lineup except Alain Eckert adds guitar for the show in France which is so cool. The other show is from Pennsylvania. Gowen, Greaves,Miller and Pyle form the foursome here. Too much talent and amazing tunes for me to ignore this one.
I'm glad Frob was at least mentioned. A band who switched to Jazz/Fusion and man these guys let it rip.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 10:35
Love those Antique Nuns lps....or eps.
Also love Sanguine Hum
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 12:32
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Out Of Focus

Probably more jazz than Krautrock and man that second disc is a challenge but this band can do no wrong for me. Love the cover art reminding me a little of Terje Rypdal's Whenever I Seem So far Away art.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 12:33
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Hopper/Gowen - superb

Melancholy but such a meaningful record.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 12:37
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I think Out Of Focus - Four Letter Afternoon is mostly wonderful. So I voted for it. But admittedly i've listened more often to Zyma - Thoughts in the last decade. That Frob album is really nice too. It's got some of the energy, drive and rawness I enjoy so much in that Association (P.C)'s Earwax-album.

On paper Dedicated To You, But You Weren't Listening should be a dream come through and the perfect album for me. An enjoyable mess, but not essential to me.

"An enjoyable mess" is hitting the nail on the head. This was another hard one for me but man Wyatt, Babbington, Whitehead, Boyle then Dean and the horn guys, such talent on here.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 12:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Love those Antique Nuns lps....or eps.
Also love Sanguine Hum

I told Matt the keyboardist I was going to rip the three eps on one disc. He laughed, was okay with that but I don't think I ever did that, I'm just happy to have the originals.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 12:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Zyma

A few Zyma votes and this is a special album like Sweden's Kultivator's recording where you get different styles crossing each other to great affect.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 13:02
I was turned on to Antique Seeking Nuns by a review in PA ; and of course it took me a few years to finally acquire any of their releases. What can you say about an ambitious group of zany wild men laying down a mix of jazz fusion ,heaped in Canterbury, and wonderful humor. The covers are most interesting and belie the powerful music that the band creates. In a class outside its self. For me ,Sanguine Hum misses the mark and is a let down. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 13:23
Antique Seeking Nuns for me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 18:39
Originally posted by rik wilson rik wilson wrote:

I was turned on to Antique Seeking Nuns by a review in PA ; and of course it took me a few years to finally acquire any of their releases. What can you say about an ambitious group of zany wild men laying down a mix of jazz fusion ,heaped in Canterbury, and wonderful humor. The covers are most interesting and belie the powerful music that the band creates. In a class outside its self. For me ,Sanguine Hum misses the mark and is a let down. 

I wish they had continued with Antique Seeking Nuns myself releasing some studio albums instead of eps. Maybe? Canterbury seems to be pretty popular these days maybe they'll do a Porcupine Tree and give us one more.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 01:32
Excellent poll choice. My vote goes to "Thoughts" by Zyma.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>