Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Rock Timeline: 1989

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
12 [23.08%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
5 [9.62%]
3 [5.77%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
7 [13.46%]
7 [13.46%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.85%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.62%]
3 [5.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Rock Timeline: 1989
    Posted: April 04 2023 at 02:22
Compiled from Wikipedia's Timeline of Progressive Rock (1980-1989)

3 stars 1989: Djam Karet - Reflections from the Firepool
4 stars 1989: Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_li0d7h1v8158uiQviXYaU0s-YVGLUiFr8
4 stars 1989: Peter Gabriel - Passion (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdktF-lL0yEYfGmIinkpf7Ivicuuu69PS
3 stars 1989: Horizont - The Portrait of a Boy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ygZUT944O0&t=983s
4 stars 1989: Isidurs Bane - Cheval: Volonte de Rocher - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lJBD2unN_8WGxFyGl6QSZD-ZcC-QrTjN8
4 stars 1989: Nuova Era - Dopo L'Infinito - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdSgloZdSNE
3 stars 1989: Saga - The Beginners Guide to Throwing Shapes - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE6A1C5DAC090904D
2 stars 1989: Thinking Plague - In This Life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQX0jnzoduI
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 02:25
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 02:30
Marillion
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 02:31
ABWH then Ozric and Marillion , an another poor year for progers
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 02:33
I've never understood the love for ABWH. Confused
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 02:35
I guessed that you wouldn't include After Dinner for Paradise of Replica from the wikipedia prog timeline entries, but that would have got my vote.

I'll go Thinking Plague again with In This Life. By the way, even the main Cardiacs wikipedia page confirms that Caradiacs Live was "Released: 31 October 1988". I know we already established that the timeline pages have many errors, and it's not a big deal to me.
Two Tracks Per Many of My Fave Acts: A Youtube Playlist
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 03:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

A lot of people seem to have a soft spot for it, while also being quite divisive. I would call it mediocre, or of lesser quality than mediocre actually.

Teakbois may be some kind of nadir for the weak boys -- when it comes to about 7:40 songs anyway.

Let's Pretend sounds quite nice, maybe I should be quite nice and pretend that it's a good album.    

To each his or her own tastes of course.
Two Tracks Per Many of My Fave Acts: A Youtube Playlist
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

A lot of people seem to have a soft spot for it, while also being quite divisive. I would call it mediocre, or of lesser quality than mediocre actually.

Teakbois may be some kind of nadir for the weak boys -- when it comes to about 7:40 songs anyway.

Let's Pretend sounds quite nice, maybe I should be quite nice and pretend that it's a good album.    

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe my vote
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:09

It gets an occasional play from me; I do quite like 'Brother Of Mine' and 'Order Of The Universe' although in truth, if you are trying to find 'good' Yes albums, for me they only released 3 after 1980... Talk, which is oddly excellent in it's own right, but still not really Yes, the Keystudio material and Magnification. I'd possibly add the longies off The Ladder, but that's about it... Confused 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:15
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

It gets an occasional play from me; I do quite like 'Brother Of Mine' and 'Order Of The Universe' although in truth, if you are trying to find 'good' Yes albums, for me they only released 3 after 1980... Talk, which is oddly excellent in it's own right, but still not really Yes, the Keystudio material and Magnification. I'd possibly add the longies off The Ladder, but that's about it... Confused 

Talk and Magnification definitely, the Ladder, not so much, I find it uneven. 
90125 and Big Generator are fine albums IMO. I haven't listened to Keystudio in a very long time, I will try and find some time for a listen. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:26

90125 and Big Generator are fine albums IMO. I haven't listened to Keystudio in a very long time, I will try and find some time for a listen. 

Oh, 'The Ladder' is most definitely uneven... most of the centre of the album is entirely forgettable, which is why I said 'The Longies'... Homeworld and New Language would have fitted well on Keystudio and save the album from being on a level with Onion.

90125 and BG are fine enough if you file them under Asia, but in all honesty if I ever feel the urge for some intelligent AOR, I'd rather listen to the first three Toto albums... Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:30

Oh, 'The Ladder' is most definitely uneven... most of the centre of the album is entirely forgettable, which is why I said 'The Longies'... Homeworld and New Language would have fitted well on Keystudio and save the album from being on a level with Onion.

90125 and BG are fine enough if you file them under Asia, but in all honesty if I ever feel the urge for some intelligent AOR, I'd rather listen to the first three Toto albums... Smile

Intelligent AOR?! LOL As opposed to dumb AOR? LOL I love Toto, most of their albums are fine. 
I also think 90125 and Big Generator are better (more entertaining and enjoyable) than any Asia album. 
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:35
Fates Warning and Dream Theater followed by Tears for Fears and Nuova Era
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:36

Intelligent AOR?! LOL As opposed to dumb AOR? LOL I love Toto, most of their albums are fine. 
I also think 90125 and Big Generator are better (more entertaining and enjoyable) than any Asia album. 

well, I think we'd agree that most AOR follows are fairly restricted formula and quickly becomes generic and lacking in imagination... you may disagree, but back in the 80's, there were literally no end of 'dumb' AOR bands on the scene... Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 04:43

well, I think we'd agree that most AOR follows are fairly restricted formula and quickly becomes generic and lacking in imagination... you may disagree, but back in the 80's, there were literally no end of 'dumb' AOR bands on the scene... Wink

I know, just that the "intelligent AOR" made me giggle like a naughty kid in school. LOL
I do like some AOR, if the vocals and guitar work are really good, I will enjoy that. Big smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 05:04

I know, just that the "intelligent AOR" made me giggle like a naughty kid in school. LOL
I do like some AOR, if the vocals and guitar work are really good, I will enjoy that. Big smile

The first three Toto albums, late 70's Styx and early Steve Perry era Journey are the ones that have always stood out to me as being quality AOR which command repeat listens... not that I tend to much these days
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 05:05
King's X.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 05:19

happy to find this one

Djam Karet - Reflections from the Firepool  Thumbs Up
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 05:21
King’s X as well, although this could have gone one of several ways, with the IQ, DT and Marillion albums all very good.

ABWH is one of my favourite Yes albums, along with Drama, 90125 and Can’t Look Away😉

Edited by essexboyinwales - April 04 2023 at 05:21
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 05:26

How Tears for Fears has become a part of Wikipedia's Timeline of Progressive Rock (1980-1989), I surely don't understand. Ermm
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>