Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite New Wave albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite New Wave albums?
    Posted: May 24 2023 at 02:18

Hereby a new wave of New Wave, as there already has been much talk about "New Wave" lately; but I think, 
it's nice with a possibility to list ones own fave albums, so here it is. My understanding and definition of this genre 
is much like the one of RYM's, except from not including New Romantics.
I can't say, it's one of my favourite genres, but I like more or less some albums, a couple even much (the Polish ones), 
and they are:
The Police  (UK)  -  Regatta de Blanc  (1979)
Elvis Costello & The Atractions (UK) - Armed Forces (1979)

The Clash  (UK)  -  London Calling  (1979)

Ian Dury & The Blockheads  (UK)  -  Laughter  (1980)

Hazel O'Connor  (UK)  -  Breaking Glass  (1980)

Kliche  (DK)   -  Okay Okay Boys  (1982) 

Lady Pank  (PL)  -  Lady Pank  (1983)

Gnags  (DK)  -  X  (1983)

Maanam  (PL)  -  Nocny Patrol  (1984)

Which are your favourites?  And enjoy it! Tongue

Edited by David_D - December 18 2023 at 16:21
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 02:42
I'll have to get back to you when I've finally wrapped up my series of New Wave polls at the end of the 1980's, but I can tell you that Blondie and the Pretenders will both feature in my list, as well as some New Romantic and Synth Pop favourites. My New Wave list definitely won't include any Punk Rock though, but I'm sure you knew that already. Tongue
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 02:52
I'll admit I use I use New Wave / Post-Punk as the genre and have little to no idea where one is supposed to draw the genre line. Here's ten favorites in that neighbourhood:

David Bowie - Lodger (1979)
Eurythmics - In the Garden (1981)
New Order - Movement (1981)
The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge (1983)
Siouxsie and The Banshees - Juju (1981)
Lene Lovich - Stateless (1978)
Modern English - After the Snow (1982)
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1980)
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle (1979)
The Monochrome Set - Love Zombies (1980)

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 03:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'll have to get back to you when I've finally wrapped up my series of New Wave polls at the end of the 1980's, but I can tell you that Blondie and the Pretenders will both feature in my list, as well as some New Romantic and Synth Pop favourites. My New Wave list definitely won't include any Punk Rock though, but I'm sure you knew that already. Tongue

Great, and I'm glad of not to include any Punk, as I see it to be mostly a very different genre from New Wave.

Edited by David_D - May 24 2023 at 03:45
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 03:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I would definitely include this one in my own list if I defined it as New Wave, but I see it more as Gothic Rock / Post-Punk. Smile

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 03:19
The whole "new wave" is so confusing to begin with, it's what music came out in the aftermath of 70s punk and whatever new bands & artists that came out in the late 70s and early 80s, such as post punk (which is the father of gothic-rock I guess),  synth-pop, power-pop, whatever Duran Duran is classified as LOL, and so on...

Beyond mid 80s, I don't think we can talk about new wave though...Confused

So yeah, it's all confusing with this genre. LOL

Edited by Cristi - May 24 2023 at 07:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 03:19
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I would definitely include this one in my own list if I defined it as New Wave, but I see it more as Gothic Rock / Post-Punk. Smile

Yes, I was uncertain whether to include both that one and several others. But I've seen them labeled New Wave many times, along with Post-Punk and Gothic Rock of course. I mean it's basically the same kind of music, but darker. Same goes for (early) The Cure. Whom I also considered, but left out. The way I see it the music by most of these slightly alternative groups played back then, fit in several places.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 24 2023 at 03:21
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 03:58
So how would you define New Wave, David? I find it hard to think about this because many of my favourites belong in the post punk category and we had a punk list thread pretty recently that then included post punk if I'm not mistaken. On the other hand how poppy can it get? Nik Kershaw?

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:12
I'm too lazy to make lists, so I'm glad Paul does that for me - I'll point out my favourites in his threads.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:13

I'll admit I use New Wave / Post-Punk as the genre and have little to no idea where one is supposed to draw the genre line. 

It can certainly be difficult for me too to draw the exact line between these two genres, and some albums I might also label with both.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

So how would you define New Wave, David? I find it hard to think about this because many of my favourites belong in the post punk category and we had a punk list thread pretty recently that then included post punk if I'm not mistaken. On the other hand how poppy can it get? Nik Kershaw?

All I can say is, I agree much with RYM's definition (https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/new-wave/) minus New Romantics, and their labeling in general, and quite exactly, I can only tell for albums I know well.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:21
Always though that New Wave was not punk, but with synthesizers. I may be wrong.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The whole "new wave" is so confusing to begin with, it's what music came out in the aftermath of 70s punk and whatever new bands & artists that came out in the late 70s and early 80s, from singer-songwriters to synth-pop, post punk (which is the father of gothic-rock i guess), power-pop, whatever Duran Duran is classified as LOL, and so on...

Beyond mid 80s, I don't think we can talk about new wave though...Confused

So yeah, it's all confusing with this genre. LOL

Yeah, it's +/- my understanding of New Wave Thumbs Up

minis the singer/songwriter stuff

In there I'd include Killing Joke, Cuiture Club, Bronski-Communards, Soft Cell , Cabaret Voltaire (Throbbing Gristle could also be in, but maybe "too old"), OMD, DM, JD and even INXS.

Etc... of course Wink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

So I've seen Elvis Costello mentioned several times, doesn't he fit in this criteria? 
If not, then my mistake. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 05:28

So I've seen Elvis Costello mentioned several times, doesn't he fit in this criteria? 
He sort of fits early on in his career, but not later.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 06:05
When it comes to new wave, I'm more band oriented than album.

The Cars
B-52s
Fabulous Poodles
Blondie
The Rezillos 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - May 24 2023 at 06:38
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 06:18
King Crimson - Discipline (gotta love RYM tagging)
XTC - Black Sea
Devo - Are We Not Men?
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
Tubeway Army - Replicas
Japan - Tin Drum
Stranglers - The Raven
Fischer-Z - Word Salad

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 06:55
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

All I can say is, I agree much with RYM's definition (https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/new-wave/) minus New Romantics, and their labeling in general, and quite exactly, I can only tell for albums I know well.

but not least reggish rythms like by Police

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 06:58
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Always though that New Wave was not punk, but with synthesizers. I may be wrong.

See, that's the thing... the term has been used by many people in many different ways. Some include punk, some include some punk and not other, some don't include punk (of course defining punk is another thing). Some very explicitly say that post punk and goth are their own genres, therefore not included, some say that post punk is fairly central to new wave. Much stuff without synthesizers was originally included and the very first examples have little or no synth, but later synthesizers became something of a key ingredient apparently. (Acts like Ultravox or Joy Division/New Order started with very clear punk roots and mostly without electronics and then became very much synthpop. Maybe that's the central story.)

Edited by Lewian - May 24 2023 at 07:06
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 07:07

minus the singer/songwriter stuff
He sort of fits early on in his career, but not later.

Ditto for Joe Jackson, really

The first three albums are punky new wave, but then he veers jazzy . 

Edited by Sean Trane - May 24 2023 at 08:29
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>