8 [40.00%]
1 [5.00%]
7 [35.00%]
3 [15.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It Bites albums
    Posted: June 25 2023 at 12:47
I know there are a few fans on here, so which album would you choose as your favourite?

I love all their albums and have been listening to them a lot recently.

Not sure which one I’ll be going for!

For anyone who doesn’t know them, I’d describe them as very English pop-prog. Two eras, the ‘80s Francis Dunnery era (first 3 albums) and the ‘00s John Mitchell era (last 2 albums)
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2023 at 13:00
IT BITES    A Cumbrian Neo Prog band from the eighties who had another bite of the cherry with two comeback albums in the noughties. Smile

5 stars 1989: It Bites - Live in Tokyo - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2AAC3E2A29F89D51
 4 stars 2011: It Bites - It Happened One Night

Live in Tokyo is my favourite It Bites album, but from the studio albums, The Tall Ships breezes ahead of the rest. Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2023 at 13:12
Map of the Past
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2023 at 13:22
Good poll. I like the later albums and went for Map of the Past.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2023 at 13:32
The Big Lad in the Windmill is not so good. The Tall Ships is much better I think.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2023 at 13:41
Once around the world for me. Saw them just after they made Big lad.. and they were great but just too poppy- flash rock boy band. By the time Once.. came out they had matured majorly and i saw them a couple of times on that tour and it was a really great show. By the time they did Eat me.. it had gone to FD's head and i think he was partying somewhat; kept trying to do flash guitar bits and screwing them up.. shame as they were a fun band to see live and had quite a following.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2023 at 15:05
once around the world , the only I know a bit
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2023 at 17:30
It's a hard choice. I vote for Tall Ships, for very personal reasons, but I like all of them.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 00:02
Not a big fan of theirs, but Map of the World is pretty good.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 00:48
The Big Lad In The Windmill - for sentimental reasons. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 03:07
The Tall Ships. I prefer the John Mitchell lead version compared to Francis Dunnery's earlier version.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 04:45
The Tall Ships, although they're all good listens.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 09:47
I went with Once Around The World. Seriously great album😎
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 12:23
The Tall Ships
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Starjet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 02:58
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Once around the world for me. Saw them just after they made Big lad.. and they were great but just too poppy- flash rock boy band. By the time Once.. came out they had matured majorly and i saw them a couple of times on that tour and it was a really great show. By the time they did Eat me.. it had gone to FD's head and i think he was partying somewhat; kept trying to do flash guitar bits and screwing them up.. shame as they were a fun band to see live and had quite a following.

Seeing as you're from the West Country, I was wondering if you were at the Bridgwater festival in 1986, organised by Tara Newley, Joan Collins' daughter.
It Bites were last minute headliner (replacing I forget whom). Half Man Half Biscuit and Steeleye Span also on the bill.
It was a fun day out and I was impressed by It Bites' show and musicianship.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 03:14
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

I was lent Eat Me In St Louis back in the day, gave it a couple of spins, thought it was vacuous 80's tosh and gave it back. Over the years to my surprise, I have come across several on PA who rate them highly, often citing OAtW as being their best. I thought, maybe I'd just heard the wrong album and so, when I found a copy of the above in a charity shop for £1 about 6 months ago, I thought I'd give them another chance...

two spins in on the Car CD player, I thought I just couldn't put myself through a third; really no better than I remembered and it went back to the charity shop with some of Sue's books and clothes.

I don't think I'll ever see the appeal, I'm afraid.. Confused
Starjet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 04:15
Once Around The World gets my vote. 
Second choice would be Map Of The Past, as I'm an aficionado of concept albums, but I prefer Dunnery as a singer and front man. John Mitchell's voice grates on me a bit.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 06:21
Originally posted by Starjet Starjet wrote:

Once Around The World gets my vote. 
Second choice would be Map Of The Past, as I'm an aficionado of concept albums, but I prefer Dunnery as a singer and front man. John Mitchell's voice grates on me a bit.

If I had to order them, I’d probably go OATW > MOTP > TTS > TBLITW > EMISL. But I do love them all👍

I agree re preferring Dunnery’s vocals and guitar playing, much more range and emotion…
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 06:22
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I was lent Eat Me In St Louis back in the day, gave it a couple of spins, thought it was vacuous 80's tosh and gave it back. Over the years to my surprise, I have come across several on PA who rate them highly, often citing OAtW as being their best. I thought, maybe I'd just heard the wrong album and so, when I found a copy of the above in a charity shop for £1 about 6 months ago, I thought I'd give them another chance...

two spins in on the Car CD player, I thought I just couldn't put myself through a third; really no better than I remembered and it went back to the charity shop with some of Sue's books and clothes.

I don't think I'll ever see the appeal, I'm afraid.. Confused

No problem - bit like me with early Yes!!!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 06:55

No problem - bit like me with early Yes!!!

I don't think that's something you should shout about too loudly, round these parts!  LOL

Incidentally, do I remember you saying you liked Cellar Darling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>