Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970's TV Show Aired On Channel 12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970's TV Show Aired On Channel 12
    Posted: August 27 2023 at 13:36
In the early 70s there was a TV show aired on channel 12 WHYY out of Wilmington Delaware that I used to watch. It was about a eccentric misfit with wealth who lived a life of leisure . It's a possibility that the show aired in the late 60s and that the early 70s episodes were re-runs..I'm unsure about that.

The show had a vibe that could easily be compared to Woody Allen's INTERIORS. Several episodes featured music from The Kinks Arthur or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire. An example of this would be one episode featuring the songs "Victoria ", "Drivin", and "Australia " while the next episode would feature "Shangri-la ", "Nothing To Say", and "Brainwashed "...etc.

There was a particular scene by a swimming pool where the Arthur album was playing on a turntable. I've tried searching YouTube for 70s shows aired on channel 12 and I've searched for a record of archives which doesn't seem to exist on the internet. I've considered phoning the television station , but also considering that the staff from the early 70s may be deceased. I'd like to figure out the name of this show. If anyone can remember the show or has any suggestions as to a better way of figuring that out..please be so kind to respond. Thank you..

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - August 27 2023 at 13:38
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 14:42
Found this, fourth paragraph describes a un-aired British TV show that the Arthur album was written for. - -

Featured Album – Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) – The Kinks

Melody Maker – “Ray Davies’ finest hour … beautifully British to the core.”

Allmusic – It’s a detailed and loving song cycle, capturing the minutiae of suburban life, the numbing effect of bureaucracy, and the horrors of war.

I’ve dug The Kinks for a long time. They are on my “My Favorite Bands” list. And sooner rather than later, I’m going to do a series on them. But in the meantime, let’s dip into this classic album from 1969. I know a lot of people prefer Village Green Preservation Society. But Arthur is my favorite of theirs. How many albums do you know that talk about Lord Beaverbrook, Queen Victoria, Vera Lynn, Churchill, Ascot, Anthony Eden, AND Princess Marina? (Whoever SHE was.) 

This album was supposed to be the soundtrack to a TV show in Britain that, per Dave Davies, “fell apart.” (Rumor has it that a producer “mismanaged” the funds.) But the band had a clutch of great songs and so, plowed ahead with the album. The theme is in the title and Arthur was a real guy. He was the husband of Ray and Dave Davies’ sister Rosie.

His emigration to Australia in 1964 devastated the Davies’ brothers, not to mention pretty much everybody but Arthur (and it eventually caught up with him). It wasn’t anything about Australia per se so much as the fact that they were now 10,000 miles away from everyone and everything they loved. (The Davies clan is pretty large and very close.)

In fact this wasn’t the first time the band recorded a song about this situation. In 1966 they did a song called, “Rosie Won’t You Please Come Home.” “I started screaming,” Ray Davies said. “A part of my family had left, possibly forever. I collapsed in a heap on the sandy beach and wept like a pathetic child.”

But the album is, I think, brilliant as it details not only what Ray Davies sees as the decline of the British Empire but also how it affects working-class guys like Arthur and his family. From the liner notes:

Arthur Morgan … lives in a London suburb in a house called Shangri-La, with a garden and a car and a wife called Rose and a son called Derek who’s married to Liz, and they have these two very nice kids, Terry and Marilyn. Derek and Liz and Terry and Marilyn are emigrating to Australia. Arthur did have another son, called Eddie. He was named for Arthur’s brother, who was killed in the battle of the Somme. Arthur’s Eddie was killed, too—in Korea.

The album kicks off with one of my very favorite Kinks songs of all time, “Victoria.” This, of course, refers to the woman who reigned as queen for 63 years. (Also Ray’s daughter’s name). It was the 19th century and the Queen oversaw the expansion of the British Empire. The Kinks here exuberantly celebrate (sort of) her life and those times. This song is a rave-up to the max, capped off by Dave Davies’ exuberant yelps. This is rock and roll:

Long ago life was clean
Sex was bad and obscene

And the rich were so mean
Stately homes for the Lords
Croquet lawns, village greens
Victoria was my queen

Edited by Atavachron - August 27 2023 at 15:00
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 15:13
I'm wondering if it was this:

If it's not that, maybe IMDb might have an entry for show in this list:

WHYY showed a lot of British TV series. I watched that station back in the 1980s when I used to live in Philadelphia. They used to show Monty Python, Blake's 7, and Tom Baker-era and Jon Pertwee-era Doctor Who in the mid-1980s.

I tried to find some scans of old Philadelphia TV guides, but to no avail. There are quite a few scans on the Internet Archive, but nothing comprehensive. 

Another possible place to check is the Free Library of Philadelphia. They have old TV guides for Philadelphia on microfilm: https://catalog.freelibrary.org/Record/993211
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 15:49
^ Eleanor Bron is one of those forgotten jewels of the late '60s

A Fangirls Guide to Eleanor Bron | Bush Theatre

Edited by Atavachron - August 27 2023 at 15:52
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 18:05
Thank you everybody for the responses. Nothing rings a bell as of yet. This is over 50 years ago. The main role was played by a male actor. He lived in a mansion with his family. In the on going story he played a character that seemed psychiatric help. He was spoiled and bored with life. His favorite album was Arthur by the Kinks. Many of the songs from Arthur were played throughout the series. It came across like a low budget independent film. They were American actors. I wonder if the Kinks were aware of the fact that their music was used? About 20 years ago I met someone who claimed they watched this show, but they couldn't recall its title. They also remembered watching it on channel 12 and that it usually aired on Sundays. I recall my parents buying the Arthur album for me at Christmas 69' I recall not discovering the show until the following summer. In the fall of 69' I heard Victoria on WMMR out of Philadelphia. It was around this time that more people in my age group became aware of the Kinks returning when in reality they never broke up. They had been banned . Most kids I grew up with had the 45rpms and early LP's of the Kinks in 65...but were oblivious to Something Else and Village Green
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 19:31
^ It almost sounds like the inspiration for 1981's Arthur with Dudley Moore.
 Post Reply Post Reply