FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Prog Rock Live Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Prog Rock Live Albums
    Posted: April 15 2024 at 21:35
This thread contains mentions of many excellent albums. As my contribution, I would want to honourably mention Gong's "Gong est mort, vive Gong!" since, in my opinion, it is one of the best, if underappreciated, live albums ever. 
In 1975, the instrumentalists around Pierre Moerlen and Didier Malherbe prevailed against Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth, which freed the Gong style from the experimental approach of its spacey psychedelia and changed it towards rather straightforward jazz-rock. Gong founders Allen and Smyth left the band that same year, and "Shamal" was recorded without them. 
However, they apparently did not settle the dispute. In May 1977, Gong gave a reunion concert with the classic "You" line-up, which was recorded and released as a double LP that same year. 
The reunion didn't last long. Steve Hillage devoted himself entirely to his (great) solo career. Allen and Smyth teamed up with the hippy free rockers Here & Now as Planet Gong, and Pierre Moerlen founded his own jazz-rock version of Gong, i.e., Pierre Moerlen's Gong.

"Gong est mort, vive Gong!" (1977), but once again offers the true Gong, with tracks that come from the LPs "Camembert Electrique" to "You," but mainly from the Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy. Reference is therefore made to the respective rezis. As is usually the case on live recordings, the music here comes across as a bit rougher but also more upbeat than on the studio versions. In any case, the band had fun playing the old numbers again and was in a great mood that evening. You can hear grandiose yet crazy space rock here, which always puts you in a good mood. 

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 17:08
Here's six:
Sonar- Live At Moods To hear these guys pull this music off live is pretty cool.
Univers Zero- Relaps Four killer live tracks from the '84 to '86 period.
Gila- Night Works As good as the debut and of that dark and heavy style
Soft machine- Noisette Lyn Dobson adds so much
Radio Massacre International- Knutsford In May You like guitar and mellotron?
Hawkwind- Spaced Out In London with Arthur Brown on vocals
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 16:35
GG's "Playing The Fool", indeed.
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 08:08
This topic has finally motivated me to at least try to get a list of my favourite live albums together. been doing that over the last several days. Too much fun. Thankfully when I did my "best of" sub genre lists I include live albums. I'm at around 50 so I need to either narrow it down or come back with ones not mentioned yet.
Soft Machine and King Crimson have the most of my favourite live records.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 22:40
^ There is a Road To Red box sets with about 24 CD's. It takes pride of place on my coffee table but I struggled to get through all of it. BTW the 3 drummers live show is the best thing I've ever seen bar the Yes Symphonic shows 20+ years ago.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 21:13
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

If King Crimson had recorded a very nice double or triple Live LP (back in the 70s), it would've been amazing

Hi,

In my book, this would have been nice, but I think that Mr. Fripp was fighting too many bootlegs at the time, which showed what a hot band it was, specially with BB and JW. In my book, that made KC one of the things that should NEVER be missed, and I regret not seeing them until I got a chance in Seattle with the 3 drummers ... what a treat ... felt like not a single beat was missed!

Since then, though, Mr. Fripp has just about released most of it, and it has made the bootlegs obsolete, but the quality of the work shines so much better live with the real folks ... that you will regret if you don't catch it ... as my friend said on the way ... "that gives a new meaning to what music is!"... 

I don't remember which boots I heard, but they were sensational, even if the quality was low, but the energy of the show ... was ... I don't think there are/were enough words to describe it, and I can only hope that Mr. Fripp has released many of these. I sure would like to hear that one again! I think it was a "RED" tour.

Edited by moshkito - October 15 2023 at 21:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 06:53
I listen to Big Big Train - From Stone and Steel a lot. It's not strictly a live album (no audience) but instead was 'live' at Peter Gabriel's new world studios. It's what got me into the band and has definitive versions of Judas Unrepentant, Master James Of St George, The Underfall Yard, Victorian Brickwork and The First Rebreather (IMO). You can get it as an MP3 or even better still the Blu Ray.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 05:51
I think many DVDs of live concerts should be in the running here: Steven Wilson Anesthetize, Anekdoten Waking the Dead, Ulver Live at the Norwegian National Opera, Pink Floyd P.U.L.S.E., The Cure Trilogy, Iona Live in London, Ólaffur Arnalds' Live from Hafursey, so many of Steve Hackett's concerts, and many more offer great video recordings are worthy of this "live concert music" list.

Edited by BrufordFreak - October 13 2023 at 05:52
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
ThamesRoyal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThamesRoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2023 at 02:08
Live & Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
Twelfth Night - Live and Let Live
Yes - Symphonic Live
King Crimson - Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind
Dave Gilmour - Live in Gdansk
Big Big Train - Empire
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet (though not entirely live)
Tangerine Dream - Dominion Concert 1982 (off the Pilots of Purple Twilight box set).  Actual concert, not to be confused with Logos, which was a studio release.  I was at the concert, very special then and gladly now on the highly recommended PoPT box set.
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 02:14
Yes - Yessongs (Unbeatable)
E,L&P - WBmFttStNE... (Also unbeatable...)
Kansas - Two for The Show (Excellent performance of the studio versions)
Dream Theater - Live Scenes Fron New York (The Americans' best album "Metropolis Part 2 - Scenes from a Memory", brilliantly executed)
Rush - Exit...Stage Left (brilliant) / A Show of Hands (Despite belonging to the 3rd stage, it is an underrated album in my opinion)
Camel - A Live Record (Instrumentally impeccable, let's skip the vocal parts....)

Héctor Enrique
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 01:02
Original linked list is a solid collection of live prog, even has some fairly obscure groups mentioned. Perhaps could have benefited from limiting the number of records per big name group, choosing the cream of the popular crop and having more room for leftfield picks.

A bunch of great choices in this thread too. I'll have to add what I consider to be a candidate not just for best prog live LP but best live LP period: the original Hungarian language version of Omega's Elo Omega Kisstadion '79
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 20:23

If King Crimson had recorded a very nice double or triple Live LP (back in the 70s), it would've been amazing

Most of "Starless and Bible Black" gives you an idea of how amazing! 

I would like this one!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 20:14
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Triumvirat-Live at Ultrasonics Studios, Hempstead, New York, October 1st, 1974-if I had a time machine, this would be my first stop. Triumvirat's first appearance in North America, and the band were firing on all six cylinders that night. It features a song from the as yet unrecorded Spartacus album, and the two complete suites from the then fairly newly released Illusions On A Double Dimple record.

Do you have this on cd? This must be excellent!!! I will look for it on YouTube.

Yes, it is on youtube; just type in Triumvirat and Ultrasonics and you will get it....I have it on cd, on a Japanese label called Highland Project, the best sounding of the issues of this recording...

That's rare!! Really a treat to hear about this!!
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 19:36
^I should do more research LOL

Spotify has that listed as 2021
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 19:27

Great Deceiver boxset, it's a monster.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 19:12
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 18:23
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Triumvirat-Live at Ultrasonics Studios, Hempstead, New York, October 1st, 1974-if I had a time machine, this would be my first stop. Triumvirat's first appearance in North America, and the band were firing on all six cylinders that night. It features a song from the as yet unrecorded Spartacus album, and the two complete suites from the then fairly newly released Illusions On A Double Dimple record.

Do you have this on cd? This must be excellent!!! I will look for it on YouTube.

Yes, it is on youtube; just type in Triumvirat and Ultrasonics and you will get it....I have it on cd, on a Japanese label called Highland Project, the best sounding of the issues of this recording...

Edited by presdoug - September 30 2023 at 18:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 16:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Earlier I was listening to Exit...Stage Left by Rush which I finally got on cd. I think I actually prefer ATWAS to it because it just captures them at a much more raw stage in their development and there doesn't seem to be as much editing and adding of stuff. Plus I think it sounds better but I haven't listened to that first one in a while.

Yes that's interesting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 16:55

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 20:50
Earlier I was listening to Exit...Stage Left by Rush which I finally got on cd. I think I actually prefer ATWAS to it because it just captures them at a much more raw stage in their development and there doesn't seem to be as much editing and adding of stuff. Plus I think it sounds better but I haven't listened to that first one in a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>