Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Prog Rock Live Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Prog Rock Live Albums
    Posted: September 07 2023 at 18:08
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 18:41
I have tons of favorites but this time I'm gonna pick Morsefest 2014. Great setlist, amazing lineup of musicians both band members and guest stars. Brilliant showcase of Neal's and others' multi-instrumentalist skills. All of this and more beautifully recorded and mixed with seamless overdubs. B)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 21:44
link doesn't work for me

On the question, a lot of people prefer Yesshows because it has an 'improved' version of Gates, while Yessongs is just a compilation album mostly with little added to the original versions.

Best live prog rock albums? (those asterixed are DVD's but in some cases are available as stand alone albums as well)
ELP - WBMFTTSTNE
Roxy Music - Viva Roxy Music
Pink Floyd - Pompei*
Yes - Yes Symphonic*
Tull - Nothing Is Easy: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970*
Led Zep - How The West Was Won
Camel - Gods Of Light
Genesis - Live In London 1980*
Marillion - Live At Loreley*
IQ - The Wake (live)

admitedly Floyd has no audience but its still a live performance so I count it!

Edited by richardh - September 07 2023 at 21:47
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 22:46
I enjoy live King Crimson, and it always blew me away to learn that large parts of "Starless and Bible Black" were recorded live, and then mixed down in the studio!  From DGM Live:

Released in March 1974, the bulk of Starless And Bible Black is a live album with all traces of the audience skilfully removed. Coming between the startling inventions of Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, and the far-reaching repercussions of Red, Starless And Bible Black is a powerful and experimental album mingling live recordings with stand-alone studio tracks. Brimming with a confidence borne out of the band’s increasing mastery of the concert platform as a basis for inspired improvisations, the sparse, pastoral beauty of Trio, the impressionistic, sombre moods of the title track, and the complex, cross-picking rhythmic brilliance of Fracture all stand testimony to the musical ESP that existed between Cross, Fripp, Wetton and Bruford. A classic and compelling blast of King Crimson as you’re likely to hear.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 02:54
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/mobile/rock/albums-progressive-rock-live.html

Hm, Yesshows ABOVE Yessongs?

the link does not work for me. Confused
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 03:07
Review] Genesis: Live (1973) - Progrography
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 04:29
The https://digitaldreamdoor.com/mobile/rock/albums-progressive-rock-live.html url in the OP works fine if you just copy paste it, but it turned into this as a link: https://digitaldreamdoor.com/mobile/rock/albums-progressive-rock-live.htmlhttps:/digitaldreamdoor.com/mobile/rock/albums-progressive-rock-live.html

Try this link:: https://digitaldreamdoor.com/mobile/rock/albums-progressive-rock-live.html

Anyway, according to my tastes and collections the rankings would be very different. I would put Magma and Tangerine Dream lives higher.

What struck me of the top 100 was Depeche Mode's 101 at 75. Not because I would expect a 101 inside a top 100 rather than just out of it, that's the album title, but because I thought of it as more SynthPop/ New Romantic than what I would put under the Prog label. Can't say I have listened to much of it, but it stuck out.

I wonder how many people contributed to the list?

Edited by Logan - September 08 2023 at 04:32
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 05:04
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 05:04
^ thanks for the link
Nice to see Savatage and Marillion in there, I didn't expect it. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 06:23
Hi,

I like Amon Duul 2's LIVE IN LONDON ... as the one live concert of theirs that is monumental, considering the difficulty in their music at the time, and how they responded. Rehearsed and ready for London. Probably the only time in their life that they rehearsed a concert and were ready to play.  Other later concerts of the band had a feeling of disjointed and not ready to be where they were, or they simply did not feel inspired to play right and well. The Italian concert in 2010 (I think it was) seems to be fairly good, but compared to the actual stuff on the albums, it really could have used another rehearsal or two. Aside from Cris Karrer having sound issues, of course!

PF's Live in Pompeii is very good and it shows in the film ... but no "audience" takes away an element of the performance, and there appears to be cuts in between suggesting that these were not the "same day/night" at all.

Nektar's two well known live albums showed how great the band were ... that we don't talk about. "Live in NY" and "Sunday Night at the Roundhouse" showed that this band was for real in concert and that they gave it all, just like they did in the albums. It's a shame they are not listed. "Sounds Like This" is a LIVE album if EVER there was one, but I'm not sure it will be thought as that in the long run!

Le Orme's "In Concerto" is really good. And deserving a mention.

I would love to see Tangerine Dream added here as their concert series with the ladies, is fantastic and has produced many outstanding shows. Let Edgar whip that piano into shape!!!!!! Tangerine Dream - Poland (don't forget it was freezing for everyone, not enough electricity to heat the place up and the equipment according to the book!)

Klaus Schulze, though not exactly prog rock, also deserves a mention, since his work is always right up front and impossible to duplicate the regular albums. He was "always" live and this is something that we can not quite see. His series with Lisa are totally out of this world though I'm not sure this will be ever recognized, since they don't quite fit here, but the guts it takes to do what they did ... is phenomenal and one of the greatest achievements of the rock era, something that came from rock music ... the beauty and possibility of the live material, even when not exactly pre-thought or designed.

ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition
Magma - Live at Reims 1976
Gong - Live, etc (though the Floating Anarchy is the best ever)
Frank Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere
Caravan - And the Symphonia ... is one of the best live orchestra albums ever.
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live (specially the remastered series)
Guru Guru -- The early tapes stuff is fantastic trip stuff. Essen 1970 is out there!

Edited by moshkito - September 08 2023 at 07:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 06:51
Hi,

In the old days of the late 60's and early 70's it was the advent of the bootlegs that told you how good, or bad, a band was in concert. The best seller of them all was Bob Dylan, and it was a series of tapes that had different lyrics for many songs, that was interesting. The other great seller was Led Zeppelin, that showed what a magnificent band they were for about 4 to 5 years ... their "Live on Blueberry Hill" boot is excellent as are the series of albums around Bonzo's birthday party around LA as far as I know ... some of which Jimmy has updated (and changed badly!!!!) in "How The West Was Won" ... even the concert film they did was not even close or as tight as these early boots showed, which helped LZ become the hottest act on stage for several years.

The Rolling Stones, were not very good in concert, and I walked out of a show ... too loud, and out of tune, it seemed. I guess you could say it was "rock'n'roll" in that it was good one night and bad the next and then half way the next night! Not for me ... ciao baby!

The other massive bootleg was the LET IT BE stuff from the Beatles, of which there were at least 10 different bootlegs showing different material than what ended up on the album, and some fun stuff along the way, that was "hidden" for a long time by EMI ... to keep the Beatles legacy clean and special. Some of the material in the Beatles Christmas Shows is actually a part of this scam, since in some places it does/says things that could be considered inappropriate. I have not seen the Peter Jackson special, though I would think that the special might have some of this fun stuff from the bootlegs and allow the members to be themselves as the bootlegs did so well.

Frank Zappa had a lot of boots from many of his California shows. They showed, right at the start, that this was not a fool around band ... it was serious.

The greatest seller of bootlegs, however, was The Grateful Dead, and though it is thought that they were not "great" all the time, the way that their folks went after so many of these shows to the point that the band opened up their SOUND BOARD to anyone that wanted to record anything. Even if the material is not fantastic or great, it is unlikely and unreal to think that there was nothing of interest in the material ... and how so many fans trade the stuff STILL into this day! To the point that this list is almost ridiculous without The Grateful Dead.

Edited by moshkito - September 08 2023 at 06:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 07:10
One of these days I'm going to spend some time deep-diving into my live album collection. I've never really evaluated it to determine which is the greatest in my collection, but growing up in the 1980s I played Seconds Out and Three Sides Live more than any other live album I owned. Whether or not either of them is the greatest prog rock live album, they were at least my favorites during an impressionable time of my life. So, there's that.

All we are and all we ever will be started with constipation.

Edited by progaardvark - September 08 2023 at 07:11
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 09:41
There are soooooo many lists to debate on that site!😳🤣
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 09:49
ELP - WBMFTTSTNE

I would also suggest ...
PFM - COOK
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 09:57
Well, the top ten includes two from Rush, Dixie Dregs, Zappa, and Dream Theater. Nice list in my eyes.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 11:52
Henry Cow - Concerts
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
King Crimson - Great Deceiver
Magma - Hhai
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Jackal3000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 13:43
You think that list is in any particular order?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 13:56
Originally posted by Jackal3000 Jackal3000 wrote:

You think that list is in any particular order?

I don't think so... 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 14:08
^Yes it is in order, but the last update was 2017.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 15:15
In no special order, no box set issued 20 , 30 or 40 years later, no hard rock ( DP, LZ, UH, ..) juste prog
Genesis Live
Genesis Seconds Out
PFM Cook
Grobschnitt : Solar Music Live
Yes : Yessongs (not yesshows :-)
BJH : Live (1974)
Zappa in NY
Zappa Roxy and elsewhere
Jeff Beck and The Jan Hammer Goup
Magma Live (aka Hhai)
King Crimson : USA
ELP : Welcome back