Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't know why I'm posting this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don't know why I'm posting this
    Posted: September 13 2023 at 06:39

Well, I'm usually to shy to share the rubbish that I put on Bandcamp for my own fun (and as a form of backup).

Anyway, I have just published 10 tracks made with a classical guitar only and mixed (quite badly) with Mixcraft.
It's all recorded one-take, so it's full of errors, too.

So why am I posting?

I'd just like to know if anybody thinks that I should quit making stuff (I' continue doing it regardless) or if there's any suggestion or comment.

The second link that I'm posting is the previous release. There I wanted to sound like Klaus Schulze but I obviously failed.

Just in case any fool liked to download, please put a 0 in the price. I'm not Zappa, so I'm not there for money.

I strongly suggest to avoid the rest of my stuff. I wouldn't spend time on it if it wasn't my own.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 08:40
Awesome. If you want to expand your mixing possibilities, I recommend learning to use the DAW called Reaper. It's super powerful and really affordable. A bit more complex than Mixcraft, but if you're a Vegas user like me, you should master it in no time.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 09:52
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Hi, I promise to listen to these in the next day or so ... not feeling well today and need to rest some more.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 10:28
I don't know why i'm responding to this.

Blip

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 10:50
I don't know why I wish I had more time to listen to these right now.

Bloop

Edited by JD - September 13 2023 at 10:51
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 14:51
Thanks to all. I started making stuff during the lockdown and since then it's the first time that I make it public. Neither my family is aware of that and I don't think my wife has ever listened to any of my tracks.

So I still don't know why I have posted the links. I need an analyst.

But thank you for any critics, comment and suggestion. ("Quit making this rubbish" is a possible one).

I have forgotten to say that I don't think I've made any prog.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 15:59
I don't know why I enjoyed this music...BUT I DID.
Nice stuff Luca. Where does the name Yelling Xoanon come from?

So here's my $0.02 worth.

Guitar 2
Try EQ'ing your reverb with a Lo Pass Filter. It can help with the 'Finger Sqeak' to give the mix more of a room sound and remove the weird effect the high end reverb gives to the strings.

Across The Event Horizon
What kind of sequencer are you using? I like the way the tune builds in structure and dynamics. By using panning and EQ'ing you can manipulate the sound stage more and create space within the music that allows it to breathe. This lends itself nicely to the idea of being in the vastness of space and hearing celestial bodies across the 'galaxy'?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 02:51
Many thanks for your comments.

Where does the name Yelling Xoanon come from?

In 1982 I was in a prog cover band and we were looking for a name.  I searched on a dictionary for words beginning with 'X' and 'Y'. I've found Xoanon that comes from the Greek mythology. It's a sort of wooden statue. 'Yelling' was the natural consequence. I remembered that name 40 years after when I joined Bandcamp. An alternative was "Invaders from Uranus", bit it fits more with a Punk band.

What kind of sequencer are you using?

No sequencers at all. It's all hand made, but some sequences come from the midi sound banks included in Mixcraft. Probably you are referring to "Take Off". The sequence was free from Mixcraft, I have just played the chords.

I made the title track (what a pompous definition) just after having listened to Klaus Schulze for about a week. Three tracks were written as soundtrack for a videogame as my daughter is a developer. 

An interesting fact is that a friend has released an official album few weeks before, and I have inconsciously used the same concept (and two track titles) from his work. 

The album is "Andromeda" by "Audiozona".  It's on youtube and is a proper album.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 08:09
Celebrating my own finishing of my first track in two years, I gave this a listen, i.e., the first track on "Guitar" (and a minute elsewhere here and there on that album), and the 9 minutes Klaus Schulze one.

"Entry Level" - I like this a lot. I love the sound of the acoustic guitar and melodic guitar instrumentals - far underrepresented in my collection. Very enjoyable well written and constructed piece! I'd probably be quite happy with it had I done it myself. Actually I have the whole album running while writing this, I like the musicality and compositions. 

"Across the Event Horizon" - I like everything on it, sounds and ideas make sense and create an atmosphere. For me personally it's just a bit minimalist and long for what's in it. Now I have the same complaint at times with Klaus Schulze himself, so you reached your aim there. Wink Something meditative and minimalist that relies on atmosphere needs a special mood to properly get into it, so I don't want to say there should be more in it or it should be shorter, it may work well as it is for the right listener in the right mood. One advice though, I'd use a proper sequencer for the rhythmic parts as I think this kind of electronic music needs the rhythm to be sharp. The machine sound is in a strange contrast to the hand made playing.   

Regarding "quit making stuff" by the way, apart from the fact that I do like what you're doing, nobody should quit what they enjoy doing. Even without anyone else listening to my stuff I feel so much better producing some of my own music again. I don't think we're dependent on being listened to, or "assessed" by anyone!

I like that you posted this, and I'm toying around with putting something of mine up here, I mean you're probably a better guitarist than me but unprofessional enough that it still can encourage me. Smile 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 15:02
I wasn't expecting any appreciation, now I have a sort of review. Fitst of all, thanks for your time.
Making Entry Level has taken less than 30 minutes from the initial chord progression to the recording. It's so simple that's the reason why I have called it so. The whole compilation has taken three days for a total of about 8 hours. Relistening to Event Horizon I agree with you. It's too long, especially the first part. Anyway, I'm thinking to re-recording or even rewriting the older stuff, but it would take time and I don't think I will before my retirement.
I'll be happy to listen to your stuff, and I'm also open to collaborations. Latimer and Scherpenzeel have made Stationary Travellers by sending audio files to each other. It may work for unprofessional people, too.
Last, the acoustic tracks are made of two or three lanes. I'm not that good as it could seem. A real guitarist might have played all the notes in one shot.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 10:46
Hi mates,

I've got the Covid (I was still untouched until now).
So I have to stay close in my studio. It has resulted in another 13 tracks.

It's an imaginary soundtrack to the first tale by H.P. Lovecraft that I've read when I was 9 years old.
I hope it sounds as creepy as I would it to sound.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 11:39
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Hi mates,

I've got the Covid (I was still untouched until now).
So I have to stay close in my studio. It has resulted in another 13 tracks.

It's an imaginary soundtrack to the first tale by H.P. Lovecraft that I've read when I was 9 years old.
I hope it sounds as creepy as I would it to sound.

Hi. I listened to the first song you put up, an acoustic classical song.

I'm listening to this and wondering what that scratchy sound is. Bad wire? Personally, I prefer an acoustic sound to a flanger (proper term?)..

I'm a musician, but have no idea what midis and sequencers are (and don't care to know), but it would be cool if you added some rhythm, tapping on hand drums, or ... anything.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 12:18
^But as a musician, you should know.

MIDI = Musical Instrument Digital Interface
So the keyboard or other MIDI device becomes the trigger (what you push to make the sound) and the signal goes to a computer that uses 'soundfonts' or other formats to create the actual sound.

Sequencer = A device that allows you to create repeatable patterns within the instrument. Sometimes left to their own (think ending to ELP'S Karn Evil 9 3rd Imp.) or one that changes cords or notes as a keyboard is played (think beginning of Baba O'Riely by The Who)

As for your flanger comment. A flanger combines the original signal of an instrument with a slightly delayed and modulated signal to create a sort of 'WOW'ing sound to the instrument.

Hope that helps a little.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 14:31
Hi MortSahlFan, I have set track7 as the default on Bandcamp. It's a mistake. Now if you follow the link it will start playing from track 1.
Track 7 is intended as a pause between dissonant electronic tracks. 
I have added the scratchy sounds. It's a very hardly distorted guitar tapping the stopped strings very lightly.

I have used drums only on the last track. I'm not a drummer so I try to avoid usings things I'm not able to use properly as much as I can. 
I don't use sequencers. Perhaps if I had one I would use it, but all the things that seem sequenced are hand-made. 

What seems a flanger is a digital reverb combined with a delay. 

I'm not a musician and I'm experimenting the effects provided by Mixcraft trying to obtain the sounds that I have in mind, but I don't succeed very often. I have no idea of how to make my guitar sound like David Gilmour's. I suspect the problem is behind the instrument, not inside. Big smile

If you have spare time to waste, try "Guitar". It's just a batch of 10 acoustic tracks made using only a classical guitar. 
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2023 at 13:50
I like the classical guitar playing. I like the chord changes . Very nice! I used to be a classical student. I used to put all my energy into Classical guitar. I eventually gave that up and instead combined it with Prog Rock and jazzy ideas. I released Lighthouse Summer in 2004 which was my only acoustic album. The style you have is interesting and I like it. I like your ideas.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2023 at 22:20
^ so now I'm curious to listen to your album
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2023 at 11:57
I'm back here with a single track. I've done a guitar cover of NichelOdeon's "Malamore E La Luna". I have sent it to Claudio Milano and unexpectedly I've got his thumb up. 

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 22:44
^I've never heard the original, but the cover sounded lovely! Classical Guitar is a mountain that i'm afraid i'll never climb, so I'll stick to my electric and 12 string. 

Great sound on the guitar, any effects used? 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 13:46
respect to the original I have played the sung parts including the bridge, all together with keyboard melody. Only the chorus, that's the melodic part of the song is close to the original.
I have to say that NichelOdeon rely mainly on the absurd vocal extension of the singer and composer Claudio Milano. Replacing his voice with the guitar would have been impossible, that's why I have changed that part.
The only effect used is the reverb on the main track.

This is a link to a live performance of Claudio Milano. I hope you'll enjoy it.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 16:58
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^But as a musician, you should know.

MIDI = Musical Instrument Digital Interface
So the keyboard or other MIDI device becomes the trigger (what you push to make the sound) and the signal goes to a computer that uses 'soundfonts' or other formats to create the actual sound.

Sequencer = A device that allows you to create repeatable patterns within the instrument. Sometimes left to their own (think ending to ELP'S Karn Evil 9 3rd Imp.) or one that changes cords or notes as a keyboard is played (think beginning of Baba O'Riely by The Who)

As for your flanger comment. A flanger combines the original signal of an instrument with a slightly delayed and modulated signal to create a sort of 'WOW'ing sound to the instrument.

Hope that helps a little.

I figured, but if I want those sounds I think it's my responsibility to play them without the automatic stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>