FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best and Worst prog lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 11:59
^ Hamill? Waters?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 11:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The sad side for me, as a writer, is that there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" and every day I look at this thread, I get sadder yet some more.

Thousands of years of literature and stuff has a lot of different ways to saying things, but we think some is good and the rest is bad ... and in the end, that is an illusion ... since a bad actor and singer can make one lyric sound right and better than it might be.

Some folks think that Prufrock is nuts and an ideal in poetry ... others think Shakespeare is ... and in the end, that is not the point ... the expression that it brought out is ... and there is no better or worse, but I get really sad seeing this commercially minded thing consistently putting down material that has a right to be there ... regardless of what we think!

Thanks for bringing up literature! 

I've always considered Jon Anderson of Yes to be an English poet in the mold of the famous "Romantic" movement (Shelley, Keats, Byron etc.).  Sure, some (much) of his stuff is a confusing hash, but when he is on, he is sublime!  

Not far behind Anderson is Peter Gabriel.  The sign of good lyrics is that they stand on their own as poetry, without the music.  

Prog is fortunate to have many excellent poets contributing.  Peter Sinfield, Richard Palmer James and others were visionaries.  I'd add Ian Anderson to the mix.  

Thoughts?
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 23:51
Hi,

The sad side for me, as a writer, is that there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" and every day I look at this thread, I get sadder yet some more.

Thousands of years of literature and stuff has a lot of different ways to saying things, but we think some is good and the rest is bad ... and in the end, that is an illusion ... since a bad actor and singer can make one lyric sound right and better than it might be.

Some folks think that Prufrock is nuts and an ideal in poetry ... others think Shakespeare is ... and in the end, that is not the point ... the expression that it brought out is ... and there is no better or worse, but I get really sad seeing this commercially minded thing consistently putting down material that has a right to be there ... regardless of what we think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 20:08
Here, I'll do my own (Atmos)

Picking a worst one was hard, they're all not great...

(Taken from Part 8 of 'The Stardust Medley')

VIII. BACK

Please come back

Why did you go

Don’t fade into black

We hope you enjoyed the show

Of radiation seeping into his soul

There’s no way he could’ve survived

Please come back

Come Back

Come Back

Come Back…

That needs a re-write... well, making a debut is a learning experience.

Taken from "Hole in the Wall"

The end does not come quickly

As we are drifting here alone

The officer with open casket

The frozen child with no home

None of em are great, check the album's comments on YouTube for all the lyrics. everyone can pick out a least favorite then LOL

The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 19:58
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Here's a REALLY hot take, I like it more than Watcher of the Skies. (as of now, but that'll probably change)

An underrated gem for sure!

On an unrelated note, Cstack joined prog archives the same day my brother was born! Day, Month, and Year!!

An auspicious event for sure!  Clap

Indeed!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 18:25

Here's a REALLY hot take, I like it more than Watcher of the Skies. (as of now, but that'll probably change)

On an unrelated note, Cstack joined prog archives the same day my brother was born! Day, Month, and Year!!

An auspicious event for sure!  Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 15:17

Edited by Frets N Worries - September 19 2023 at 15:18

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 15:10

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Time Table' it's pretty fantasy

Actually, I view it as more of a lens through history!  Gabriel is pining about the days of King Arthur & knights of the round table. 

"Time Table" does not seem to be the most popular Genesis song on this website, but I think it is sublime! 

A carved oak table, 
Tells a tale 
Of times when kings and queens sipped wine from goblets gold, 
And the brave would lead their ladies from out of the room to arbors cool. 
A time of valor, and legends born 
A time when honor meant much more to a man than life 
And the days knew only strife to tell right from wrong 
Through lance and sword. 
Why, why can we never be sure till we die 
Or have killed for an answer, 
Why, why do we suffer each race to believe 
That no race has been grander 
It seems because through time and space 
Though names may change each face retains the mask it wore. 
A dusty table 
Musty smells 
Tarnished silver lies discarded upon the floor 
Only feeble light descends through a film of grey 
That scars the panes. 
Gone the carving, 
And those who left their mark, 
Gone the kings and queens now only the rats hold sway 
And the weak must die according to nature's law 
As old as they. 
Why, why can we never be sure till we die 
Or have killed for an answer, 
Why, why do we suffer each race to believe 
That no race has been grander 
It seems because through time and space 
Though names may change each face retains the mask it wore.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 12:36
I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Time Table' it's pretty fantasy

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 12:35
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

However, the lyrics of Yes, King Crimson and Genesis, although fanciful, do not go down the rabbit hole of fantasy in the form of Dungeons & Dragons etc.   Beats the hell out of me how that started!!

I reckon a lot of prog SOUNDS nerdy to people who aren't into prog.

I remember my younger brother walking into the room while I was playing 'Karn Evil 9' and his exact words were: "What the hell is this nerd sh*t?"  lol.

And what do people associate nerds with? High fantasy, D&D, etc.

Good point, mate!  

I guess that, upon casual listening, early KC (ITCOTCK for example) went close to the fantasy realm....

The rusted chains of prison moons 
Are shattered by the sun, 
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament's begun....

etc. etc. 

Plus the artwork, especially "Lizard" (drawing more from medieval England than Tolkien).  It still featured a few "worms" aka dragons etc.  

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 06:23

However, the lyrics of Yes, King Crimson and Genesis, although fanciful, do not go down the rabbit hole of fantasy in the form of Dungeons & Dragons etc.   Beats the hell out of me how that started!!

I reckon a lot of prog SOUNDS nerdy to people who aren't into prog.

I remember my younger brother walking into the room while I was playing 'Karn Evil 9' and his exact words were: "What the hell is this nerd sh*t?"  lol.

And what do people associate nerds with? High fantasy, D&D, etc.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 06:12
such a cynic when there are so many great options

what about?

''Curse my inadequate bladder''

or 

''Damn, nearly stood on an adder''

or even

'' yadda, yadda, yadda!''

(ok not enough syllables in that last one but why spoil a good 'joke' Wink)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 23:33
^ I thought they could not find a better rhyme for "sadder". Big smileLOL
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 22:56

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The best and the worst lyrics all in one song....

ELP - Still You Turn Me On

Every day a little sadder
A little madder
Someone get me a ladder 

“Somebody get me a ladder” refers to hitting rock bottom and wanting help to climb out.

That ladder line refers to just how crazy the whole ELP stage experience had become. It references Emersons continued escalation in showman ship, specifically when Emerson had his keyboard rig lifted off the stage, at one point failing and leaving Emerson stranded in mid air, a situation which facilitated Emerson calling out for the aforementioned piece of climbing equipment.

The song itself is Lake addressing his audience, saying that no matter the madness, it was all worth it for the crowd reaction.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - September 18 2023 at 22:58
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 22:43
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Personally I cringe when I hear:

"How did he lose
Six Million Jews."

Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

As for "Lucky Man", Lake wrote those lyrics when he was 12 and it was nothing more than a filler to begin with. It was only the magnificent first take moog solo at the end that lifts it above mediocre (and if I'm not mistaken, it is probably ELPs best known/ most popular song).

In Australia (at least), ELP's version of "Fanfare for the Common Man" became synonymous with sporting events for decades following the Montreal Olympics in 1976.

On television, I sometimes hear parts of "Karn Evil 9" played in shows set in the '70s.

Sure, I'm an Aussie to, but I wonder how many people even knew who "Fanfare..." was by, let alone listen to the whole track from beginning to end.

...and "Lucky Man" was featured on "The Simpsons".

For me, those lines from (Hymn) just seem to trivialize what it's trying to address. A simplistic take on an extremely complex situation.

Why not attack this god for the total 60 million people estimated to have died during that particular conflict?

Edited by Hugh Manatee - September 18 2023 at 22:56
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 21:18
- not a terrible lyric, its more the ''even though your flesh has crystallized'' bit I don't like personally and in general its just very heavy handed. For me most of Lake's best lyrics are on Trilogy including the excellent From The Beginning especially showed that he could write a great lyric as well as the pseudo hymn The Endless Enigma. I also enjoy the romanticism of Trilogy a lot. However as good as they tracks were on the album, ELP though struggled to get these songs across live and so I think a more theatric approach beckoned. Context is important here.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 21:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The best and the worst lyrics all in one song....

ELP - Still You Turn Me On

Every day a little sadder
A little madder
Someone get me a ladder 

“Somebody get me a ladder” refers to hitting rock bottom and wanting help to climb out.

altered_beast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altered_beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 18:20
Being a tiger means your mate when overfed
will defecate in places least expected.
Jethro Tull-Tiger Tune

Not sure whether to say it’s best or worst. To each his own I guess. Nothing like some warped potty humor from Jethro Tull.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 12:50
Originally posted by Criswell Criswell wrote:

IMO, any lyrics Dave Cousins (Strawbs) writes are a cut above most anything else out there.

There are so many awful Prog Rock lyrics that I don’t know where to start.

I agree completely!  

I also enjoy Jon Anderson's gibberish, songs like "To Be Over" have moved me greatly.  
Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 07:35

IMO, any lyrics Dave Cousins (Strawbs) writes are a cut above most anything else out there.

There are so many awful Prog Rock lyrics that I don’t know where to start.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>