Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog archives future

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog archives future
    Posted: September 26 2023 at 15:12
With the disruption of the server happening frequently, I would like to thank the reviewers and forum members for introducing me to music I would have never heard.

What will you do if this site fades away?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 15:37
RateYourMusic.com
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 15:48
I would like to set up another forum in case this one goes that will operate as something of an antonymous collective with some anarcho-syndicalist commune thrown in for good measure, where we might take turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week. But all the decisions of that officer would have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority.... Basically, there will be no King, unless we decide to vote for one.

Mostly I am hoping to set up an online platform for artists/ creative people and people interested in the arts to connect with each other and to connect with various services, venues and institutions in their communities. I hope to help foster supportive communities that way and get more people interested in their local arts scenes as well as helping each other with a feedback and a positive and constructive online setting to share your art and develop it.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 16:06
I'd listen more often to the birds (our feathered friends, not the band...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 22:02
I'm in my third (and likely last) phase of my life and have a ton of music to catch up on. I reckon I have enough. PA is important to me and I believe that only Sean Trane has been on here longer than me of those that are left hanging around. In some respects the site is slowly fading and that is natural. My real concern is the database of reviews and information. It would be very sad if that was lost. The forum is a good time passer.I like to chat about music informally, not interested in intellectual or music theory type debates and this seems to cater for the likes of me pretty well. Eventually everything must come to pass

"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm.
... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I've watched see Beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain..."

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 00:17
Continue to curate the finest music review and interview site there is out there, of course, he says in an utterly shameless plug for www.lazland.org  Tongue
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 00:23
Keep watching 'The Prog Corner' and 'Sea Of Tranquility'.

I would be devastated if this forum ceased to exist though! Unhappy
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 00:38
Me too. But if that happens, there will be a massive exodus to https://www.progressiveears.org/
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 04:10
Although I haven't actively participated in the forums and reviews until very recently, since 2008 Progarchives has been and continues to be my go-to source for new releases, for discovering bands that would otherwise be very difficult to meet, or simply to read the opinions of so many people who share a taste for music.

I hope that PA will continue to be operational for many many years to come!. 
Héctor Enrique
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 07:28
Hi,

I would miss PA terribly.

However, and one of the things that I see everyday listed here sometimes, is the number of "friends" that gave us so much joy with their music passing away ... I cried hard when Daevid Allen left, when Gilly left (we shared poetry and a lot of letters), and then Edgar Froese. For me, it was the end ... I have not cried since, but I'm sure I would the moment that Peter Hammill says hello to the ethereals ... or Roy Harper, both of them the supreme poets in my way of seeing things, and the 2 folks that know how to color words better than most.

But, life is about ... accepting ... a lot of these things, and as you get older, it is tough ... to see so many friends go ... PA included specially as so many folks that post here are "hiding" and won't share email addresses for fear of some kind of Venusian fly will bite their ass!

Edited by moshkito - September 27 2023 at 07:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 07:36
I'm sure Paul can get into his TARDIS and find out.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 08:12
^So THAT'S how Paul listens to so much music!
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 08:15
Paul's ears are bigger inside than they look from the outside.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 08:37
Mike has added a forum over at https://awesomeprog.com/.   It hasn't gained much traffic, but I am sure that it would be an available forum resource for displaced PAers.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 08:47
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Me too. But if that happens, there will be a massive exodus to https://www.progressiveears.org/

Where we will welcome you with open arms. Doesn't have a database or reviews. Very good forum.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 09:05
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Where we will welcome you with open arms. Doesn't have a database or reviews. Very good forum.
Welcome with open arms??? I got banned from that site.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 09:14
I love this site, and would be very sad to see it go despite me not being here very long, it just seems a bit outdated, lovable, but outdated
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 10:12
while it's outdated in design, PA is like a well worn glove that fits.  Plus there is no other user oriented prog site with this breadth of reviews
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 10:36
No problem. I will spend the rest of my prog listening days at Lazland.org. Wonderful! Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 10:59
But there's no forum at Lazland, is there? Being able to communicate with groups of people online is meaningful to me, and it's not like I don't do that in so-called real life either, but writing and reading often is more enjoyable to me than being in an oral situation (not that I don't like oral, espoecially when done right).

While there might be a mass exodus to progears (I tried to post there years ago but did not find it welcoming or encouraging at the time, often depends on the luck of the friendliness of the people on at the time), I would like for the forum community to have a place ready to visit even if this site goes down for along time. It's awkward descending on another site. I think we should consider setting up a forum, I believe free boards for hosting are available. Otherwise a reddit sub (I have never posted there) might work. While I and others can be a real pain in the buttocks, and some of are quite eccentric, it's the people that make this place special to me, much more-so than the content.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>