Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Prog Rock Hot Takes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 18:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Fusion forms the core of American prog.

I've long held this belief, and I believe many others do!
If you're stuck in the 70's, yeah. Otherwise no.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 18:43

Michael Romero is as good if not better than John Petrucci, and that’s saying a lot!

Miriodor is the best Canadian band.

Agree on points 2 & 3. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 23:58
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Who's stuck in the '70s?

Fusion originated here. That's the point.
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 08:08

Who's stuck in the '70s?

No doubt Fusion originated here, but I think he means that, since then, other forms of prog had overtaken the throne here in the US. 

ie. Prog Metal, Tech/Extreme, Hello??
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 09:11
Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

Who's stuck in the '70s?

No doubt Fusion originated here, but I think he means that, since then, other forms of prog had overtaken the throne here in the US. 

Maybe read the "forms the core of" part again? Most of those guys are nevertheless influenced by the key fusion and prog players. A new blend is just that, it doesn't make the ingredients any less perceptible to my palate.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 09:21
The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome is superior to H to He
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 09:44
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Hot take indeed. Confused
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 11:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I'm with Frets N Worries on that one. Depending on my mood I'd even rank The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome as their best at times. Awesome album!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 11:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I'm with Frets N Worries on that one. Depending on my mood I'd even rank The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome as their best at times. Awesome album!

I like the album, but is it better than H to He... though? Not for me, that's all. 
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 12:00

Who's stuck in the '70s?

Maybe read the "forms the core of" part again? Most of those guys are nevertheless influenced by the key fusion and prog players. A new blend is just that, it doesn't make the ingredients any less perceptible to my palate.

not sure what you're trying to say here, but you seem to have the stats to tell me that most American acts today borrow a lot from fusion. That doesn't make all those bands fusion per se. 

Im sure you will find today's American prog dominated by metal and tech stuff rather than fusion 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 12:12

That doesn't make all those bands fusion per se.

That's not what I'm saying, but don't worry about it.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 22:36
I would contend that a lot of those bands are essentially fusing metal with prog-jazz. The jazz metal craze has been proliferating for the last dozen years or so, and it is particularly strong in (though not exclusive to) the US.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 08:57
I'm far from stuck in the '70s (my wife might disagree, yet she looks like she's going to burst when I roll  the likes of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and the Rabbinical School Dropouts).

I view the foundations of prog as coming from two distinct schools of music-the European School and the American School. The European school is rooted in fusing rock with all kinds of classical influences, giving us the likes of KC, Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc. There are obviously lots of jazz elements, but something that I find interesting is the limited cross-pollination among the bands relative to the American school. When there was cross-pollination, it was magical, such as Jon Anderson turning up on Lizard to sing Prince Rupert Awakes or Fripp and Eno getting together to totally mess with our heads. Slowly cross-pollination became more common, with the likes of Bruford showing up in KC and Genesis.

The American School, by contrast, is rooted in all kinds of jazz, blues, soul, and rock structures and less centered around the classical influences. The amount of cross-pollination is extreme, considering the diverse collaborations among all the Miles Davis alumni (McLaughlin, Corea, Zawinul, etc.) and Zappa spreading his alumni all over the place (Belew, Thompson, Ponty, Duke, Val, etc.). As such, the groups tend to be more transitory, and the individuals have really diverse careers with lots of solo and collaboration work outside the flagship bands, making the scene more diffuse.

In the '80s, however, cross-pollination yielded unbelievable results with contributions like the Eno-Byrne collaborations which gave us the likes of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts and The Catherine Wheel. After the MTV-infected cultural lag of that time, the '90s brought tremendous diversification, giving us the smorgasbord of progressive styles we enjoy today-and all with very little major label support. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 09:58

I'm far from stuck in the '70s (my wife might disagree, yet she looks like she's going to burst when I roll  the likes of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and the Rabbinical School Dropouts).

I view the foundations of prog as coming from two distinct schools of music-the European School and the American School. The European school is rooted in fusing rock with all kinds of classical influences, giving us the likes of KC, Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc. There are obviously lots of jazz elements, but something that I find interesting is the limited cross-pollination among the bands relative to the American school. When there was cross-pollination, it was magical, such as Jon Anderson turning up on Lizard to sing Prince Rupert Awakes or Fripp and Eno getting together to totally mess with our heads. Slowly cross-pollination became more common, with the likes of Bruford showing up in KC and Genesis.

The American School, by contrast, is rooted in all kinds of jazz, blues, soul, and rock structures and less centered around the classical influences. The amount of cross-pollination is extreme, considering the diverse collaborations among all the Miles Davis alumni (McLaughlin, Corea, Zawinul, etc.) and Zappa spreading his alumni all over the place (Belew, Thompson, Ponty, Duke, Val, etc.). As such, the groups tend to be more transitory, and the individuals have really diverse careers with lots of solo and collaboration work outside the flagship bands, making the scene more diffuse.

In the '80s, however, cross-pollination yielded unbelievable results with contributions like the Eno-Byrne collaborations which gave us the likes of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts and The Catherine Wheel. After the MTV-infected cultural lag of that time, the '90s brought tremendous diversification, giving us the smorgasbord of progressive styles we enjoy today-and all with very little major label support. 

Now that post is money.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 15:55
Danger Money > U.K.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 16:29

Danger Money > U.K.

Same here.
Harold B View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 17:26
The new Big Big Train Album is superior to the last two albums but doesn't come close to the run from Under fall Yard to Grand Tour.
Not close.
Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 19:48

Danger Money > U.K.

Same here.

Agreed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 20:12
Originally posted by Criswell Criswell wrote:

Danger Money > U.K.

Same here.

Agreed

Not much of a Hot Take it seems!

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2024 at 06:47
Hot take: Threads about politics/democracy on Progarchives are mostly cringe.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>