Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Prog Rock Hot Takes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 23:10
Well... see... I think Rush get more credit than they deserve in the prog acolyte circle - it's nothing but washed metal production and relentless riffage; when they tried to prog they sounded trite and uninspired. 

Thanks to Rush, the following decades of 'prog' metal became 'prog' by numbers; where's the prog if everything sounds the same?! 

I don't deny any of them being superb musicians, but technicality doesn't imply originality or evocativeness. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 23:19
For me, I rather dislike Gabriel as a singer, and I prefer Phil Collin singing. I'm not fond of John Wetton singing either. I prefer the drumming of Chris Maitland in Coma Divine than that of Gavin Harrison in all his Porcupine Tree albums. I like The Division Bell better than Dark Side of the Moon. I think Roger Waters is a good singer.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 00:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Cool take: Had Christian Vander guested on an album with Peter Hammill and friends, Vander Graaf Generator would have been a cool name.

Perhaps. Maybe I'm biased but I think the spelling of "Van der Graaf Generator" is more appealing than the correct spelling "Van de Graaff Generator".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 00:25
I considered the username ChristianVanderGraaf for this forum actually.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 00:26
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Cool take: Had Christian Vander guested on an album with Peter Hammill and friends, Vander Graaf Generator would have been a cool name.

Perhaps. Maybe I'm biased but I think the spelling of "Van der Graaf Generator" is more appealing than the correct spelling "Van de Graaff Generator".

That is not the correct spelling

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 00:38
Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

Well... see... I think Rush get more credit than they deserve in the prog acolyte circle - it's nothing but washed metal production and relentless riffage; when they tried to prog they sounded trite and uninspired. 

Thanks to Rush, the following decades of 'prog' metal became 'prog' by numbers; where's the prog if everything sounds the same?! 

I don't deny any of them being superb musicians, but technicality doesn't imply originality or evocativeness. 

I disagree about Rush being "trite and uninspired". Constantly?! I don't think so. They have some albums more inspired and creative than others, like any other band, but "trite"? No way. 

Also, Rush was not the only inspiration for what would become progressive metal. 
Even in progressive metal, there is a diversity, everything sounding the same is an exaggeration. 
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 00:55
Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

That is not the correct spelling

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 01:11
Just because they use vintage instruments doesn't mean Wobbler is that amazing (they're alright).
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 01:47
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Just because they use vintage instruments doesn't mean Wobbler is that amazing (they're alright).

I love Wobbler because of their arrangements, songwriting, passionate vocals, and incredible instrumental performance. :P The fact they use vintage instruments is something I don't care about at all tbh.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 03:52
The ConstruKction of Light is King Crimson's best album. The neighboring solar system is complaining about the smell.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 03:54
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

The ConstruKction of Light is King Crimson's best album.

That is a unique opinion. LOL
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:01
'The Final Cut is a better album than 'The Wall'.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:03
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

'The Final Cut is a better album than 'The Wall'.

better how? 
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:08
King Crimson's debut album is actually their best. Nothing that King Crimson recorded later surpassed Greg Lake's wonderful singing and Peter Sinfield's surrealistic fantasy.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:15
A is Jethro Tull's best album. I have been reported for having a loaded diaper and I'm full of carbohydrates.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:15
Not only Discipline but also Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair are excellent albums and actually better than the debut (ignoring for the moment its historical impact and innovation factor - I can't really criticise that album but I'm a very big fan of the early 80s trilogy).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:18
Stand Up and Heavy Horses are the two JTull albums I've listened to the most. LOL
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:19
Van Der Graaf Geberator deserve to be in the 'Big Six of Prog' more than Rush
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:27
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Van Der Graaf Geberator deserve to be in the 'Big Six of Prog' more than Rush

Rush is not in the so called big 6 of prog. LOL
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 04:27
^Oh really? Good!
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>