Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PA Album of 2023 Open to Members: Jan 31 deadline
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of 2023 Open to Members: Jan 31 deadline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA Album of 2023 Open to Members: Jan 31 deadline
    Posted: February 05 2024 at 02:33
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

From Logan's list at the start ... here are some comments.

Oiapok - OisoLun
Nice stuff, though it's hard to not hear some Frank Zappa in spots. Still really nice!

Moon Safari - Himlabacken
Nice, although I would consider this pop music and not exactly progressive. Nice stuff, though and the long cuts are really good. Kinda reminds me of Styx, but that's stretching a lot! Some Yes, maybe. Still nice stuff.

The Chronicles of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales of Airoea
Folk Rock ... nice stuff. Nice to see a band not afraid of doing longer pieces. These are nice!

Zopp - Dominion
Really nice. Very satisfying listen. Reminiscent of the Canterbury style, of what some of us would consider extended jams ... beautyfully done. Probably one of the best in all this bunch. I think I played this back to back 3 times ... that's how enjoyable it is!

Lars Fredrik Froislie - Fire Fortellinger
Nice. Enjoyable.

Avkrvst - The Approbation
Nice. Enjoyable. Some metal touches, but not overdone. A little growl on the background that I'm not sure is that good or helps the music. I think it brings it down some as there is some really nice stuff here.

Amoeba Split - Quiet Euphoria
Soft fusion, and really nice.

Explosions in the Sky - End
Very nice instrumental stuff. Very enjoyable.

Maud the Moth+Trajedesaliva - Borlando el Manto Terrestre
Some far out stuff here in one very unusual thing ... really far out.

Monika Roscher Bigband - Witchy Activities and the Maple Death
A little on the weird side for me, but interesting. The big band idea adds more flexibility, though for my tastes some of it is kinda overdone here. Still an interesting listen, but you and I will often go ... what was that? And on occasion, if you had one drink too many ... was that Jon Anderson stoned or on mushrooms? But there is some far out stuff here.

Chromb! - Cinq
Vive la difference! You and I will likely end up thinking ... how can we think this is not right, fun and good? Very unusual and weird ... but it doesn't stop and you get the feeling these folks know what they are doing. Enjoyable for its strangeness and material that is way out there somewhere, but it is neat. But, I do wonder how we sometimes choose things ... just because it is weird and experimental, or crazy? A fun listen, and I had deja-vu moments thinking of the first time I heard FAUST ... and wondered ... hmmmm ... but at that time there was a lot of folks doing sound experiments live on stage, and theater was going crazy, nude and no "audience" with actors all around you, and no physical stage ... you kinda get that feeling here ... the question is ... is it weird, art or just ... plain ... having fun with everything you can think of that comes up?

Good to see that you're warming up to the idea of blurbs Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 23:24
^ Counted, but not four times Wink
Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booba Kastorsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 16:52
My ranked favorites of 2023

1. Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex
2. Sunchild - Exotic Creatures and A Stolen Dream
3. Earthside - Let The Truth Speak
4. Lalu - The Fish Who Wanted To Be King
5. Karmamoi - Strings From The Edge Of Sound
6. The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 1
7. Zopp - Dominion
8. Sophya Baccini - Runnin' With The Wolves
9. Sunchild - Time and the Tide
10. Karfagen - Dragon Island
11. Karfagen - Passage to the Forest of Mysterious
12. Mice on Stilts - I Am Proud Of You
13. Aviations - Luminaria

Counting InfoMy ranked favorites of 2023 1. Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex [SPO] 2. Sunchild - Exotic Creatures and A Stolen Dream [BC] [SPO] 3. Earthside - Let The Truth Speak [BC] [SPO] 4. Lalu - The Fish Who Wanted To Be King [SPO] 5. Karmamoi - Strings From The Edge Of Sound [BC] [SPO] 6. The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 1 [BC] [SPO] 7. Zopp - Dominion [BC] [SPO] 8. Sophya Baccini - Runnin' With The Wolves [SPO] 9. Sunchild - Time and the Tide [BC] 10. Karfagen - Dragon Island [BC] [SPO] 11. Karfagen - Passage to the Forest of Mysterious [BC] [SPO] 12. Mice on Stilts - I Am Proud Of You [BC] 13. Aviations - Luminaria [BC] [SPO] Counting InfoMy ranked favorites of 2023 1. Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex [SPO] 2. Sunchild - Exotic Creatures and A Stolen Dream [BC] [SPO] 3. Earthside - Let The Truth Speak [BC] [SPO] 4. Lalu - The Fish Who Wanted To Be King [SPO] 5. Karmamoi - Strings From The Edge Of Sound [BC] [SPO] 6. The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 1 [BC] [SPO] 7. Zopp - Dominion [BC] [SPO] 8. Sophya Baccini - Runnin' With The Wolves [SPO] 9. Sunchild - Time and the Tide [BC] 10. Karfagen - Dragon Island [BC] [SPO] 11. Karfagen - Passage to the Forest of Mysterious [BC] [SPO] 12. Mice on Stilts - I Am Proud Of You [BC] 13. Aviations - Luminaria [BC] [SPO] Counting InfoMy ranked favorites of 2023 1. Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex [SPO] 2. Sunchild - Exotic Creatures and A Stolen Dream [BC] [SPO] 3. Earthside - Let The Truth Speak [BC] [SPO] 4. Lalu - The Fish Who Wanted To Be King [SPO] 5. Karmamoi - Strings From The Edge Of Sound [BC] [SPO] 6. The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 1 [BC] [SPO] 7. Zopp - Dominion [BC] [SPO] 8. Sophya Baccini - Runnin' With The Wolves [SPO] 9. Sunchild - Time and the Tide [BC] 10. Karfagen - Dragon Island [BC] [SPO] 11. Karfagen - Passage to the Forest of Mysterious [BC] [SPO] 12. Mice on Stilts - I Am Proud Of You [BC] 13. Aviations - Luminaria [BC] [SPO] Counting Info
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 09:22
Hi,

From Logan's list at the start ... here are some comments.

Oiapok - OisoLun
Nice stuff, though it's hard to not hear some Frank Zappa in spots. Still really nice!

Moon Safari - Himlabacken
Nice, although I would consider this pop music and not exactly progressive. Nice stuff, though and the long cuts are really good. Kinda reminds me of Styx, but that's stretching a lot! Some Yes, maybe. Still nice stuff.

The Chronicles of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales of Airoea
Folk Rock ... nice stuff. Nice to see a band not afraid of doing longer pieces. These are nice!

Zopp - Dominion
Really nice. Very satisfying listen. Reminiscent of the Canterbury style, of what some of us would consider extended jams ... beautyfully done. Probably one of the best in all this bunch. I think I played this back to back 3 times ... that's how enjoyable it is!

Lars Fredrik Froislie - Fire Fortellinger
Nice. Enjoyable.

Avkrvst - The Approbation
Nice. Enjoyable. Some metal touches, but not overdone. A little growl on the background that I'm not sure is that good or helps the music. I think it brings it down some as there is some really nice stuff here.

Soft fusion, and really nice.

Explosions in the Sky - End
Very nice instrumental stuff. Very enjoyable.

Maud the Moth+Trajedesaliva - Borlando el Manto Terrestre
Some far out stuff here in one very unusual thing ... really far out.

Monika Roscher Bigband - Witchy Activities and the Maple Death
A little on the weird side for me, but interesting. The big band idea adds more flexibility, though for my tastes some of it is kinda overdone here. Still an interesting listen, but you and I will often go ... what was that? And on occasion, if you had one drink too many ... was that Jon Anderson stoned or on mushrooms? But there is some far out stuff here.

Chromb! - Cinq
Vive la difference! You and I will likely end up thinking ... how can we think this is not right, fun and good? Very unusual and weird ... but it doesn't stop and you get the feeling these folks know what they are doing. Enjoyable for its strangeness and material that is way out there somewhere, but it is neat. But, I do wonder how we sometimes choose things ... just because it is weird and experimental, or crazy? A fun listen, and I had deja-vu moments thinking of the first time I heard FAUST ... and wondered ... hmmmm ... but at that time there was a lot of folks doing sound experiments live on stage, and theater was going crazy, nude and no "audience" with actors all around you, and no physical stage ... you kinda get that feeling here ... the question is ... is it weird, art or just ... plain ... having fun with everything you can think of that comes up?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 15:40
^ Counted. Interesting, this puts Zopp - Dominion back at #1. Smile
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 15:29
mental_hygiene View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mental_hygiene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 21:38
jasper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 21:04
Snikle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 18:47
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 16:19
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 15:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 15:39
Here's my last list update before the deadline:

My ranked favorites of 2023

12. HMLTD - The Worm [AP Prog] [BC] [SPO]
13. Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite [AP Prog-Adj] [BC] [SPO]
21. Stortregn - Finitude [AP Prog] [BC] [SPO]
22. Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! [AP Non-Prog] [BC] [SPO]
27. Ishkero - Shama [AP Prog] [BC] [SPO]
43. Demoniac - Nube Negra [AP Prog] [BC] [SPO]
44. Dethklok - Dethalbum IV [AP Prog-Adj] [SPO]
47. The Hirsch Effekt - Urian [AP Prog] [BC] [SPO]
53. Overkill - Scorched [AP Non-Prog] [BC] [SPO]

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 07:16
^ Here you are:

Sean Trane's ranked favorites of 2023

6. Ishkero - Shama [AP Prog] [BC] [SPO]
13. Akku Quintet - Kinema [AP Prog] [BC]
24. Andorra - Current [AP Non-Prog] [BC] [SPO]
28. Pourpre - Pourpre [AP Prog] [BC]
34. SESAM - Modern Voodoo [AP Prog] [BC]
37. Mong Tong - 道火 [AP Non-Prog] [BC] [SPO]
52. London Brew - London Brew [AP Non-Prog] [BC] [SPO]
53. Muriel Grossman - Devotion [AP Non-Prog] [BC] [SPO]

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 07:01
OK I tried but don't understand the tool and lack the time to search deeper its working (yes, I'm useless EmbarrassedLOL)
So here is my 50 to 53 choices list (descending order) for 2023

1.Trees Speak – Mind Maze

2. Hidden Orchestra – To Dream Is To Forget

Light – The Path

Fire! Orchestra – Echoes

Free Human Zoo – Mysterious Island

Ishkero – Shama

Atsuko Chiba – Waters It Feels Like Growing

Rhùn – Tozih

Äshkinel – Maraude Automnale –

Jordsjø - Salighet

10. Lars Fredrik Frøislie - Fire Fortellinger

Natural Information Society – Since Time Is Gravity

AKKU Quintet – Kinema

Univers Zero – Lueur

Eclectic Maybe Band – Bars Without Measures

Maailmanpuu – Kaimalkuu

La Theorie Des Cordes - 4u-9525

Zopp - Dominion

The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 1&2  -

Agusa - Prima Materia

20. Caravela Escarlate - III

Andorra – Current

Eyeless Owl – Murmurations

Isobar - Isobar III

One Shot – 111

Pourpre – S/t

Rabaska – s/t

Mangeurs de Reves – Vivre et Mourir -

Gecko & Tokage Parade – Heart of Tokage

Sonar – Three Movements

Alakazam – Karnival Dawn

Sesam – Modern Voodoo

The Ocean – Holocene

Ultraphauna – No No No

Mong Tong - Tao Fire

Emme Phyzema – Trying Not To Be

Gravity Fields – Disruption

DAAU - Musik Für Animierten Tonspurfilm -

Asceta - Erebus, La Suite De Las Sombras

Tauk - Equalizer

Bend The Future – Sounds So Wrong

Peter Gabriel - i/o

Soft Machine - Other Doors

Gong - Unending Ascending

Homunculus Res - Ecco l'impero Dei Doppi Sensi

Join the din – Change

OUT OF PA FOCUS:

Go Go Machine Orchestra – SYMBOL

GoGo Penguin - Everything Is Going To Be OK -

Binker and Moses – Feeding The Machine

London Brew – London Brew

Muriel Grossman - Devotion

Edited by Sean Trane - February 01 2024 at 05:02
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 06:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 06:23
Dear fellow prog enthusiasts, if you still want to submit a list before the deadline, now would be a good time. The registration closes at 2024-02-01 00:00 PST. Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - January 31 2024 at 06:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 00:34
^ Fixed! 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 00:31
I know what happened. Remember that in your post you copied the PA releases into a separate list? They include the counting code, so that is why my script counted them twice. I'll fix it and make sure that the script removes duplicate entries. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 00:27
^ Curious - that has never happened before. Don't worry, I'll look into it Smile
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 00:25
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Thanks! No need to separate out the PA releases, my script does that automagically. But you left out the counting code at the bottom - could you please repost the complete generated code? Smile

Whoops - apparently I wasn't paying attention when I was doing that. I've edited the original post, but I see you've already taken care of it.

Good lord I appear to have broken something and added my top 40 albums a second time.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>