Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Top 10 ECM Albums by the PA Artists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Top 10 ECM Albums by the PA Artists?
    Posted: December 11 2023 at 08:41
List your top ten favourite albums produced by Manfred Eicher and released on his ECM label. Your list, however, must only include musicians from the Progarchives' database.

In no particular sequence, here is my list:

Oregon "Crossing"
Return to Forever "Chick Corea: Return to Forever" 
Ralph Towner "Solstice"
Terje Rypdal "Descendre"
John Abercrombie & Ralph Towner "Sargasso Sea"
Jan Garbarek "Paths, Prints"
Miroslav Vitous "First Meeting"
Eberhard Weber "Fluid Rustle"
Codona "Codona 3"
David Torn "Cloud About Mercury"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 09:02
Originally posted by Lumenko Lumenko wrote:

List your top ten favourite albums produced by Manfred Eicher and released on his ECM label. Your list, however, must only include musicians from the Progarchives' database.

Isn't that a little too specific? I couldn't name one album produced by Manfred Eicher on the ECM label - never mind ten. Embarrassed 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 09:43
Terje Rypdal-What Comes After
Terje Rypdal-Terje Rypdal
Eberhard Weber-The Colors Of Chloe
John Abercrombie-Gateway
Terje Rypdal-Works

I'm afraid that is all that qualifies from me
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:31
Most of my choices are not likely to be in PA's DB.

Chick Corea - Return To Forever
Mal Waldron - The Call
Terje Rypdal - Whenever I seem To Be So Far Away  & What Comes After
Julian Priester & Pepo Mtoto - Love, Love
Bernie Maupin - The Jewel In The Lotus
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert
Azimuth - Departure
John Surman/John Warren - The Brass Project

Worth a mention (but not that I would one day own them)
Metheny's New Chateauqua, Offramp  and American Garage
Abercrombie's Gateway series

I still have to explore (after that I think, I'll have to give it a rest)
Kenny Wheeler's Music For Large Ensemble (90) and Long Time Ago (98)
Miroslav Vitous's The Journey (82) and Universal Syncopations (03)
John Surman Stranger Than Fiction (93) and Adventure Playground (91)
The Music Improvisation Company 's ST album with Jamie Muir (70)
Globe Unity Improvisation's Compositions and Improvisations (79 & 77)
Jan Garbarek's Sart (71) Afric Pepperbird (72) and Places (77)
Steve Khun's Trance (74)
Dave Holland Quintet's Jumping In and Shades Of Time (83 & 84)
Holland/Phillips's Music For Two Basses (71)
Bill Connors - Of Mist And Meting (78)
Elton Dean - Boundaries (80)
Gary Burton Quintet w Eberhard Weber's Rong, Dream So Real and Passengers (74 to 76)

Edited by Sean Trane - December 11 2023 at 10:34
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Isn't that a little too specific? I couldn't name one album produced by Manfred Eicher on the ECM label - never mind ten. Embarrassed 

I can do it a bit better:  Garbarek & Khan  -  Ragas and Sagas   (1992)  Big smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:40

Nah, I mentioned Manfred Eicher just like that. Of course, you can post an ECM album by a PA artist with another producer if there is any such record.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:49
All ECM albums by Pat Metheny. Solo and group recordings.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:49
Hi,

Too many great albums to choose a best one, but here are some dandies!

Jan Garbarek - Eventyr
Terje Rypdal/David Darling - Eos
Egberto Gismonti - No Caipira
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert
Gismonti/Garbarek/Haden - Magico
Pat Metheny Group - The album with that one really far out piece with Lyle Mays
Chick Corea - Return to Forever
Nana Vasconcelos/Egberto Gismonti - Duas Vozes
Egberto Gismonti/Academia de Dancas - Sanfona

Missing, is one album I have never found, which I believe was an ECM thing, and it was a concert for harmonica which was at least 20 minutes long in the main piece ... and it was absolutely out of this world. It was more classical than jazzy, and it was just way out there on top. To this day I remember hearing bits and pieces of it in my head. I don't think it was Toots since I had heard a lot of his stuff and its very jazzy touches, and many of his pieces were well known. Norton Buffalo was mostly about songs as far as I know.

It might be Villa-Lobos with Jose Staneck but I don't think so. This one is totally far out, though. (Not ECM)

The Toots 100th Anniversary Official is really neat and special though not ECM.

Howard Levy with the Evanston Symphony Orchestra is pure magic! 

BTW, if you have never heard Bill Evans and Toots Album "Affinity" ... 

ECM, however, is by far one of the best and most adventurous of groupings of various artists. It's a bummer that I can not even list many of them ... Vitous being one I have not really listened to properly yet, Burton, Weber, Darling, Oregon ... and many others. David Darling's shows up in a lot of places, including Carlos Nakai, but in the end, Nakai was not half as good without David Darling. The one thing that ECM also accentuates, is how INTERNATIONAL its folks are ... all over the place, and they dictate so many different things, that in the end, I always think that "progressive" has lost its inventiveness, specially when compared to a label like ECM.

Edited by moshkito - December 11 2023 at 11:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:56
Well....ECM has almost a 1000 lps in their catalogue since 1969( Eicher was one of the main founder s)
I have maybe 20 lps both cd and vinyl...these are my personal favorites....I have not heard many of others to say top ten list.....

Pat Metheny Group(1978)
Pat Metheny -Watercolors
Pat Metheny -As Falls Wichita
Pat Metheny Group- Off Ramp
Terje Rypdal
Weber-colors of Chloe
Weber-Yellow fields
Abercrombie/Towner-Sargasso Sea
Towner-Solstice
RTF Chick Corea

ECM label is awesome....there are hardly any bad records there....Im also a fan of Gary Burton but hes not on PA.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 12:08
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I can do it a bit better:  Garbarek & Khan  -  Ragas and Sagas   (1992)  Big smile

"Ragas and Sagas" was produced by Manfred Eicher. Of the famous ECM albums, Julian Priester's "Love, Love" was not produced by Eicher but was produced by Julian Priester and Pat Gleeson.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 12:34
I don't care enough about producers to know if they were produced by Eicher or not, but here's ten ECM-favorites of mine.

Chick Corea - Return to Forever (1972)
Jan Garbarek Quartet - Afric Pepperbird (1970)
Terje Rypdal - Terje Rypdal (1971)
Bennie Maupin - The Jewel in the Lotus (1974)
Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto - Love, Love (1974)
Terje Rypdal - Whenever I Seem to Be Far Away (1974)
John Abercrombie, Dave Holland & Jack DeJohnette - Gateway (1975
Codona - Codona 2 (1981)
Egberto Gismonti - Dança das cabeças (1977)
Rabih Abou-Khalil - Nafas (1988)
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 13:15
1. Ralph Towner / Gary Burton - Matchbook (1975)
2. Tomasz Stanko Quartet - Suspended Night (2004)
3. Chick Corea / Gary Burton - Crystal Silence (1973)
4. Enrico Rava Quartet - The Plot (1977)
5. Jan Garbarek / Bobo Stenson Quartet - Witchi-Tai-To (1974)
6. John Abercrombie - Current Events (1986)
7. Old and New Dreams - Playing (1980)
8. Eberhard Weber - Yellow Fields (1976)
9. Tomasz Stanko Quartet - Soul of Things (2002)
10. Kenny Wheeler - Double Double You (1984) 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 15:57
1. Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (1981)
2. Eberhard Weber The Following Morning (1976)
3. Steve Reich Music for 18 Musicians (1978)
4. Terje Rypdal Terje Rypdal (1971)
5. Pat Metheny Group First Circle (1984)
6. Zakir Hussein Making Music (1987)
7. David Torn Cloud About Mercury (1987)
8. Chick Corea Return to Forever (1972)
9. Bennie Maupin The Jewel in the Lotus (1974)
10. John Abercrombie Timeless (1975) 

Not sure if these albums or artists are in PA's database, but I love them:
Steve Tibbetts Yr (1988)
David Darling Cello (1992)
Colin Walcott Cloud Dance (1976)
Codona Codona 2 (1981)
Oregon Oregon (1983)
Hilliard Ensemble, Arvo Pärt Pärt: Arbos (1986)
Trio Mediæval
András Schiff
Tarkovsky Quartet
Dominic Miller

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 17:39
Jon Abercrombie - Timeless
David Torn - Cloud About Mercury
Steve Tibbetts - YR

The rest of my ECM is firmly in the jazz camp
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2023 at 00:32
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Steve Tibbetts - YR
"Yr" was not originally released on the ECM label but on the obscure Frammis label:

"Yr" is a rather good record, but I prefer his first real ECM album, "Northern Song," from 1982, which he recorded in collaboration with Marc Anderson on congas, bongas, and percussions. Actually, Manfred Eicher was recording them in the studio during their rehearsal, and they had no idea. Manfred Eicher's decision to release the recordings as an album irritated Steve Tibbets at first. However, "Northern Song" is an album that, unlike "Yr," has that distinct and delicate ECM sound—an album for the real ECM aficionados. Manfred Eicher once again demonstrated his actual genius.

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2023 at 11:47

I prefer his first real ECM album, "Northern Song," from 1982, which he recorded in collaboration with Marc Anderson on congas, bongas, and percussions. Actually, Manfred Eicher was recording them in the studio during their rehearsal, and they had no idea. Manfred Eicher's decision to release the recordings as an album irritated Steve Tibbets at first. However, "Northern Song" is an album that, unlike "Yr," has that distinct and delicate ECM sound—an album for the real ECM aficionados. Manfred Eicher once again demonstrated his actual genius.

I've owned this album for decades and had no idea it was an unknowingly recorded rehearsal. Yet it makes sense, as the album has an "unfinished" atmosphere that makes it that much more ethereal. I've always considered Northern Song to be his best album, and I understand that none of his later ECM albums were produced by Manfred Eicher. Thanks for posting this.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2023 at 15:47

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Steve Tibbetts - YR
"Yr" was not originally released on the ECM label but on the obscure Frammis label:

I know. I actually owned the original on vinyl long before ECM picked it up and re-released it (which is why I chose not to include it in my top 10 but, rather, as an honorable mention). (I feel like I was playing it in the early 1980s about the time I discovered Remain in Light [c. 1983].)  Just wanted to give it some love.

I don't know how many times Manfred /ECM picked up previously recorded material to publish it on their label (without re-recording it), so Yr must have sounded special to them.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 07:23
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Egberto Gismonti - Dança das cabeças (1977)

Hi,

The guitar solo period of his is amazing and incredible. "Solo", "Sol do Meio Dia" and "Dancas das Cabecas" are absolutely amazing and beautiful ... for me, it made Keith Jarrett sound mechanical, compared to Egberto Gismonti. Right after came "No Caipira" which is a sort of classical/bossanovaandeverything else mixed together in a classical way, which is phenomenal. It has moods and touches that are, I suppose, very much like the sounds that one might hear in the middle of the jungle ... sounds that you can not recognize and explain, but its classical pieces, are one of the best things I have ever heard. Right after this he did his Academia de Dancas album "Sanfona" ... which is a fusion treat, if I do not misinterpret the term, though it is done with a acoustic guitar and then piano.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 07:31
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I don't know how many times Manfred /ECM picked up previously recorded material to publish it on their label (without re-recording it), so Yr must have sounded special to them.

Hi,

I remember reading somewhere that one of Manfred's favorite things was to just plunk the players in a white room, and leave them alone. It might sound rather simplistic but, whatever was done worked. That someone would be "surprised" that Manfred liked to grab ... (let's say) ... the first takes, is something that most musicians tend to frown on, because they always think they can do better, and almost always it is from a technical standpoint, not quite a feeling standpoint ... and I do not find many of these earlier things as missing the "feeling", so hearing Steve Tibbetts not happy about this, would be kinda strange, since he would know that Manfred Eicher was fond of the one and done thing. 

His whole label, for the most part ... is all one and done, since I sincerely doubt that you can ask a Keith Jarrett or many others to duplicate what they just did ... I suppose that Gismonti did a bit, but not really as much as you hear in his earlier albums.

BTW ... strange that MAGICO is not mentioned ... with Jan Garbarek, Charlie Haden and Egberto Gismonti, the whole thing was so insanely good that they had to travel and do shows with it. That whole album is a treat and then some, and you know that many parts in it were "white room" and a first take, at least by hearing Jan Garbarek. 
www.pedrosena.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 07:49
Loads of great LPs listed above but shocked to not see the grand master of composition mentioned, our recently departed sister Carla Bley (yeah, yeah, the Watt label wasn't technically ECM but their product was distributed by ECM).  Man, anything by Carla is a treat.  Also, her husband Michael Mantler whose late 60s avante stuff is absolutely out of sight, not to mention those far out 70s and early 80s ECM releases, which featured Wyatt, Jack Bruce, Larry Coryell, Nick Mason, Tony Williams.....man, I'm gonna plop Movies on the turntable right now!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>