Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#3 1960-2023: In PA, One track per five years

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Vote for up to three of these, or more if you like. One vote per album
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [17.78%]
14 [31.11%]
3 [6.67%]
2 [4.44%]
2 [4.44%]
1 [2.22%]
4 [8.89%]
3 [6.67%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
4 [8.89%]
2 [4.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #3 1960-2023: In PA, One track per five years
    Posted: December 14 2023 at 20:38
[QUOTE=Logan] This is the third poll that I have done covering albums included in the discographies of Prog Archives band/artist listings where I list one release per five year period (one for 1960 to 1965, one for 1965 to 1970 etc.) I also have now done four polls with the same concept for releases not included in Prog Archives database.

Multiple votes allowed, please vote for up to three (or more if such limitations are too restrictive for you). And please vote no more than once per album. Additionally, feel free to vote even if you have very limited knowledge. Comments on the selections are appreciated even if not on the positive side, and feel free to mention your own favourites off any of the albums, and I hope some will come up with their own lists and polls. I don;t only like to share that which I like, I like to check out what others like.

Miles Davis "Concierto de Aranjuez: Adagio" (Sketches of Spain, 1960)
    Frank Zappa "Peaches en Regalia" (Hot Rats, 1969)
    Jan Dukes de Grey "Sun Symphonica" (Mice and Rats in the Loft, 1971)
    Geinoh Yamashirogumi "Osorezan" (Osorezan / Dou no Kenbai, 1976)
    Art Zoyd "Migrations" (Les espaces inquiets, 1983)
    Cardiacs "Big Ship" (Big Ship, 1987)
    Talk Talk "After the Flood" (Laughing Stock, 1991)
    Godspeed You Black Emperor! "The Dead Flag Blues" (F♯A♯∞, 1997)
    Shibusashirazu "Images" (Shibuboshi, 2004)
    William D. Drake "Seahorse" (Briny Hooves, 2007)
    Kosmischer Läufer "Der Traum des Jungen" (The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972-83: Vol. Three, 2014)
    Swans - "The Glowing Man" (The Glowing Man, 2016)
    Ciśnienie (with Lód 9) "Same Trupy" (The Brass Album, 2020)

While one may vote with very limited knowledge, for those that may wish to acquaint themselves with the tracks they don't know (or remember, or know well), here is a youtube playlist with the choices.

Edited by Logan - December 14 2023 at 22:09
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 21:26
Miles Davis, Frank Zappa.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 22:11
I guess I'll go "Sun Symphonica", "Migrations" and "The Glowing Man" today.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 01:50
Miles Davis
Frank Zappa
GY!BE
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 01:53
Swans - The Glowing Man
Talk Talk - After The Flood
Frank Zappa - Peaches En Regalia
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 04:38
Just Swans from this list.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 09:33
For this poll:

"Osorezan"
"After the Flood"
"The Glowing Man"
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 09:49
I'll go with the crowd for the first two (Miles Davis and Frank Zappa) and my third vote goes to Ciśnienie.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 10:02
Side note. I placed the tracks from this poll and Part 2 that were available, which was most all but 3, into an Amazon playlist. I have the autoplay feature on so Amazon plays tracks based on the playlist. and the tracks that followed seemed to reflect the playlist well. Here are the first 5 autoplays.

Can - Pinch
Beak> - We Can Go
Laurie Anderson - O Superman (For Massenet)
This Mortal Coil - Sixteen Days / Gathering Dust
Kate Bush - The Sensual World

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 10:36
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Side note. I placed the tracks from this poll and Part 2 that were available, which was most all but 3, into an Amazon playlist. I have the autoplay feature on so Amazon plays tracks based on the playlist. and the tracks that followed seemed to reflect the playlist well. Here are the first 5 autoplays.

Can - Pinch
Beak> - We Can Go
Laurie Anderson - O Superman (For Massenet)
This Mortal Coil - Sixteen Days / Gathering Dust
Kate Bush - The Sensual World

^ Interesting, and by the the way, your three choices could easily have been mine from the greater list of my choices.

Can's Pinch is great and from my favourite Can album, Ege Bamyası. Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" has been one of my favourite songs since I was maybe 12 and saw the music video. When I went to Australia when I was 19, my brother played Luurie Anderson's Big Science (from which O Superman is off) and it remains one of my favourite albums. I also first fell for Kate Bush due to seeing music videos as a tween, and my brother in Australia was very big on here and that's when I really got into her. I had already bought several of her CDs and found The Sensual World in the bargain cassette bin, which I bought. I especially love "The Fog" and "Rocket's Tail" off it, but really like the title track too. Listening to that This Mortal Coil track now, and yeah, that is so the kind of music I have been very, very into. And I just listened and really like that Beak> track.

I'll have to try that with Amazon.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 16:24
Jan Dukes de Grey and Frank Zappa.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 05:34
Zappa first
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 21:50
Miles and Zappa. Two amazing tracks from two amazing albums.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 05:54
1. Shibusashirazu - a new acquaintance to me and absolutely superb. Was I really the first to vote for them? 
2. Zappa - classic
3. Kosmischer Läufer - I was prepared to hate this but it turned out quite the opposite. 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 11:51
Zappa
Talk Talk
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 17:37
Big Ship and After the Flood belong to the very rare class of favourite songs of all time. If I remember correctly, years ago we were asked to list the best prog tracks, and these two ended up on ranks 3 and 5 of my list; I wouldn't rate them lower now. There is no shortage of candidates for the third vote here either. I go for Cisnienie, love that album.  

Edited by Lewian - January 13 2024 at 17:41
 Post Reply Post Reply