Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Part Two: 2023 Prog Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you have a favourite or liked album of these choices?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.23%]
1 [3.23%]
3 [9.68%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
4 [12.90%]
1 [3.23%]
1 [3.23%]
1 [3.23%]
3 [9.68%]
4 [12.90%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
1 [3.23%]
3 [9.68%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Part Two: 2023 Prog Albums
    Posted: December 30 2023 at 17:48
This, as the title indicates, is the second 2023 albums poll in a little series. I will do a third. I had hoped that this might complement The Album of the Year topic where all PA members are encouraged to submit their lists (even if it's just a few to start). I have a list of 44, these polls cover some of those, and a lot of that I have only heard over the last few weeks. I still have more that I want to hear. I am hoping that these polls may help to generate a little more interest in some of the albums that one might consider for one's list.

Please vote for one, but list any of these that you feel like in your post. Feel free to vote with limited familiarity. This is not a contest. And comments on the selections are most appreciated.

Aisles - Beyond Drama
    Aksak Maboul - Une aventure de VV (Songspiel) MTM Vol. 48
    Amoeba Split - Quiet Euphoria
    Battlestations - Memoirs of Once
    Caravela Escarlate - III
    The Chronicles of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales of Airoea: Book 2
    Crown Lands - Fearless
    Damanek - Making Shore
    Eyeless Owl - Murmurations
    The Flower Kings - Look at You Now
    King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse
    Kong - Traders of Truth
    Lazuli - 11
    Arjen Lucassen's Supersonic Revolution - The Golden Age of Music
    The Mercury Tree - Self Similar
    Motorpsycho - Yay!
    Mystery - Redemption
    OGIVES - La Memoire des Orages
    Ozric Tentacles - Lotus Unfolding
    Plank! - Future of the Sea
    PoiL Ueda - Yosh*tsune
    RPWL - Crime Scene
    Sonar - Three Movements
    T.A.P - Paradigms
    Univers Zéro - Lueur

I am giving it to PoiL Ueda - Yosh*tsune.

And here is Part One for comparison: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132320

Edited by Logan - December 30 2023 at 17:54
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 17:55
Four of these are in my top 50 of the year with UZ highest ranked. UZ surprised me, I had pretty low expectations.

Univers Zero
Ogives
Poil Ueda
Sonar

The other PU would top this list, its in my top 2.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 30 2023 at 17:55
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 18:05
The Mercury Tree gets my vote. I wasn't as taken with their previous album Spidermilk - a fine album but I thought the microtonal work was overdone. Better song structures here in my opinion and up their with my favorite albums by them (Countenance and Permutations). Over time, it could become my favorite. 

Other favorites:

PoiL Ueda - Yosh*tsune
Crown Lands - Fearless
Kong - Traders of Truth

Have only listened to fewer than half of the ones listed. A number of albums I still want to listen in this list that I haven't, particularly the ones from Sonar, Univers Zero, and King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 23:11
Caravela Escarlate - III
fantastic Brazilian prog band, check them out!

Enjoying that Crown Lands album a lot as well. It's basically Rush but I love Rush so that works!

Also check out that Arjen Lucassen album for an unashamed dose of hard rockin prog in the vein of early Deep Purple and Uriah Heep. Tremendous fun, yes prog can really be fun!!
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 01:25
The Chronicles of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales of Airoea: Book 2 Smile
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 01:56
First vote for Ozric Tentacles' "Lotus Unfolding."
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 02:06
^ I found that one REALLY boring on first listen, but I'll probably give it another shot eventually.

My top release for 2023 is still PetroDragonic Apocalypse. A masterpiece, simply put.
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 02:47
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I found that one REALLY boring on first listen, but I'll probably give it another shot eventually.
I was a fan of Ozric's debut album back in the 1980s, and I continue to be in awe of each new release because it constantly transports me to a wonderous new planet. Indeed, that is the long voyage that has kept the attention of their fans for decades. 
We had not come to expect the Ozrics' distinctive sound to go to new places by the time "Lotus Unfolding" came out but the miracle happened—it's another crucial addition to the band's repertoire.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 03:32
^ What is "crucial" about it - what does it have what the other OT releases lack? The last OT release I really liked was Yum Yum Tree, which was a bit more electronic than the previous ones.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 04:29
Father Robin
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 04:47
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ What is "crucial" about it - what does it have what the other OT releases lack? The last OT release I really liked was Yum Yum Tree, which was a bit more electronic than the previous ones.
By 2010, Ozric was still playing in decent but somewhat unremarkable areas. Their 2020 album "Space for the Earth" finally takes off after a bit of a dull spell; the tunes are catchier, and the production has more energy.
The Wynne family and their guests on "Lotus Unfolding" give something extra while maintaining the energy of its predecessor. The new album has even more of that forcefulness that was brought to "Space for the Earth," but it also has the crisp, flawless production that fans have come to anticipate from the best Ozrics recordings. "Lotus Unfolding," which features Ozric's crystalline healing and a maelstrom of sounds and styles from many albums, is enhanced by distorted guitars, forceful percussion, and heavier bass sequences.
Last but not least, Ozric made a wise decision by joining Kscope because some new, young fans will be attracted.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 06:11
The Flower Kings, one of their best albums.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 06:37
^ I found it underwhelming, but I really liked their 2022 release (By Royal Decree).
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 08:53
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

The Mercury Tree gets my vote. I wasn't as taken with their previous album Spidermilk - a fine album but I thought the microtonal work was overdone. Better song structures here in my opinion and up their with my favorite albums by them (Countenance and Permutations). Over time, it could become my favorite. 

Other favorites:

PoiL Ueda - Yosh*tsune
Crown Lands - Fearless
Kong - Traders of Truth

Have only listened to fewer than half of the ones listed. A number of albums I still want to listen in this list that I haven't, particularly the ones from Sonar, Univers Zero, and King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.

Listened now to Sonar and King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard. Very different of course, but both quite good. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 08:53
The Chronicles of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales..: Book 2
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 09:44
Toss up between Chronicles and Sonar.
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 19:28
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The Flower Kings, one of their best albums.

I like it but maybe they have just over ploughed this particular furrow for the moment. It's been a strong year so for me I needed a bit more from TFK, but then I could say that about a lot of the stalwart bands who pushed out 'solid product' in 2023 but that's all.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 03:19
Amoeba Split. I smell fresh, like a box of squares.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 10:38
Amoeba Split - Quiet Euphoria
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 16:49
This is too hard. I must vote for Kong as a devoted follower of the band, having the chance to support them once, but that Aksak Maboul album is excellent, and there are several others that I really love. Sonar and Battlestations in particular are very special to me, and even though it took me some time to get into the Univers Zero album, it turned out to be much better than my first impression.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>