Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you have unwanted code in your post...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you have unwanted code in your post...
    Posted: January 01 2024 at 12:19
Ever since we had some upgrades, many people have had issues with code injected in their posts. If this happens it depends on your browser, settings, add-ons, firewall and internet security. I have posted this before, but thought it might be helpful to make its own topic for it.

I had this injection of code into the text issue years ago, which in my case had to do with my security software. This is very common now here. One could try experimenting with clearing caches, different browsers, turning off and on add-ons.

What has worked for me is (when logged-in) to go to Member Control Panel (near top left of from screen), then click on Forum Preferences, then I clicked on the "No" option for Enable the WYSIWYG post editor before updating the profile.

That does mean that you have to manually tag urls to make them hyperlinks and manually tag videos to embed them (and manually tags colours), and you don't export rich text when pasting etc. but I have been fine with that.

If people have issues with adding vids, colours, urls, I can help. But if you find posts with those, it will show the code and technique anyway to tag it manually. I only enable the WYSIWYG post editor when I want to copy and paste to export the rich text/ format. I have long preferred to usually keep it disabled for my forum settings.

I've been tempted to disable the WYSIWYG post editor for the whole forum, but many like it and it can be used with no problem with the right browser, settings, add-ons disabled...

Manually using code is not hard to do, and I prepared this little guide before (you can try with more colours).

If it helps, here is some of the BB code. Remove spaces from tags to make it work, and by quoting this post you can see the code for where I used it:

[ b] Bolded sample text [ /b] to Bolded sample text
[ i] Italicised sample text [ /i] to Italicised sample text
[ u] Underlined text [ /u] to Underlined text

[color = red] Red text [ /color] to Red Text
[color = green] Green text [ /color] to Green text
[color= blue] Blue text [ /color] to Blue text
[color = orange] Orange text [/ color] to Orange Text

[size = 1] Small text [ /size] to Small text
[size = 3] Medium text [ /size] to Medium text

To combine various codes:

[ b] [ i] [ u] [color = red] [size = 1]This combines BB codes but is broken by spaces [ /b] [ /i] [ /u] [ / color] [ /size]
to
This combines BB codes and is unbroken

EDIT: and for images, youtube embeds, hyperlinks and hypertext links.

[ img]https://recordsale.de/570/570/spinal-tap-break-like-the-wind.jpg [/img]
to

And [url ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsOxgwF9LlM [/ url]
to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsOxgwF9LlM

[url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsOxgwF9LlM]the darning of the sock[ /url]
to
the darning of the sock

[ tube]RsOxgwF9LlM [ /tube]
to

Note: as some have issues with embedding youtube videos, you just use the unique ID identifier (letters/numbers combination) after v=

Edited by Logan - January 01 2024 at 13:05
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2024 at 14:49
"The more it stays the same, the less it changes"

Brilliant-- man they just don't write lyrics like they used to.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2024 at 15:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

What has worked for me is (when logged-in) to go to Member Control Panel (near top left of from screen), then click on Forum Preferences, then I clicked on the "No" option for Enable the WYSIWYG post editor before updating the profile.

I briefly had the problem and got rid of it by disabling the WYSYWYG option.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 10:37
^ Yeah, it works universally. One issue that has been raised about not using it is that you lose out on various options (like colour coding) , but I find manually using the BB codes very easy (though I have to remember to spell it color, not colour). I almost exclusively have kept that editor turned off for many years. I only use it when I want to import (paste) thinks from elsewhere and keep the format/ rich text... Like having a snapshot.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 10:52
I'm guessing that the database is creaking at the seams, and the whole board could do with a bit of a makeover.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 12:06
Yeah, the real problem is what is off the board with this site. The forum software is by Web Wiz, and they provide updates now and then. This is not the best version, but it has been improved. Could do some things with revising the scope and heading of the actual forums in the board, I think, to make it better. And maybe adjusting some forum settings. Often there's some give and take and one adapts the best one can.

The rest of the site is more of an issue, as the architecture would benefit from a major overhaul, in fact a rebuild (kind of like the great pyramid of Giza, which could use a lot of reconstruction to turn it into a really useful and productive space, like, say the world's largest Pizza Hut (the Great Pyramid of Giza Hut), McDonald's, or a sporting goods store).

I have found it mostly running pretty smoothly recently. Various changes were made my the webmaster that have helped.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 12:16
Well us long term forum users are quite familiar with BB codes... time for others to learn the more manual way of doing things maybe.
FlashBack2210 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlashBack2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 10:47
The image code only works if the image link ends in .jpg. However, today most image links have a completely different look, and they do not work with this code. Question: how to place links to pictures of a different type? Or how to turn another link into a link so it ends with .jpg?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 11:43
^ There are many programs out there to covert .jpgs to other formats. Then you could, upload to your FIle Manger under Control Panel then link it using the img BB code. That said, it can work for .gif and .png and I don't know how many image extensions.

This:
[ img]https://media.senscritique.com/media/000017108581/300/Koehnzert_Zund_Live.png[/ img]

to

Otherwise you can just link to them using url code if they have been uploaded to a site.

When you look up, say google images, a lot are with code to make it hotlinkable (or very hard to), but, while minding intellectual property rights/ copyrights, amny times things can be saved to your computer and then uploaded. Lots of photo/image editing software to help.

Edited by Logan - April 10 2024 at 11:43
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply