Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - Going for the One (1977)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 11:27
My personal ranking of the tracks on GFTO:

1. Awaken
2. Going for the One
3. Wonderous Stories
4. Turn of the Century
5. Parallels

All the tracks are still very good though.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 11:56
No way is "Parallels" at the bottom of any list.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 12:06
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

No way is "Parallels" at the bottom of any list.
Thumbs Up
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 12:22
Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

Top 10 Best-Selling YES Albums

01. 90125   (Sales: 4,128,370)
02. Fragile  (Sales: 2,300,00)
03. Close to the Edge  (Sales: 1,475,687)
04. Yessongs  (Sales: 1,327,480)
05. Tormato  (Sales: 1,115,380)
06. Classic Yes  (Sales: 1,060,000)
06. The Yes Album  (Sales: 1,060,000)
08. Big Generator  (Sales: 1,022,910)
09. Going for the One  (Sales: 726,380)
10. Tales from Topographic Oceans  (Sales: 672,680)

And the worst-selling YES album of all time?

Open Your Eyes, with total worldwide album sales of just 3,450  

Why am I not surprised. Tongue

Paul,

Those sale figures are no doubt inaccurate. The Yes Album you have listed as having 1,060,000 sales. The Yes Album went Platinum in the US (1,000,000) and Silver in the UK (60,000). If what you have listed about the Yes Album is correct that would mean Yes did not sell one single album more from the date it was certified Platinum by the RIAA or Silver by the BPI or one copy in any other country.The Dutch Charts show that the Yes Album charted as high as #7 in that country and year end was the 52nd best selling album in that country. So, it appears there were some copies of that album sold in that country.

Close to the Edge is listed as having 1,475,687 copies sold. CTTE went Platinum in the US (1,000,000), Britain (300,000) and Canada (100,000). That is 1,400,000 copies sold. The RIAA last certified CTTE on April 10, 1998. The BPI certified CTTE Platinum on May 12, 1984. If you look at the BPI chart, it shows not one single copy sold since that date as it is just a flat line since that date. You can see that here:

https://www.bpi.co.uk/award/1381-1295-2

CTTE charted #1 in the Dutch Charts, #16 in Japan, #14 in Italy, #36 in Germany and #21 in Australia.

I would suspect that the figures you have listed are probably far lower than what the real figures would be.

Another example is the Kansas albums Leftoverture, Point of Know Return and Best Of are listed by the RIAA as going 4x Platinum respectively. Howeve, Kansas has stated those albums sold each more than 6,000,000 copies in the US.

My understanding is that the certification process is expensive and bands feel like it is not worth the cost. Some labels don't want to do the certification process not only because of cost but, want to keep the actual real sales figures hidden from the band.

[/QUOTE]
Although my quoted sales figures may not be entirely accurate (understatement!), I don't find it hard to believe that Topographic Oceans sold roughly 200 times more copies than Open Your Eyes, given that Billy Sherwood's album is bottom of nearly every YES fan's list.  Smile
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 12:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Steve Howe & Annie Haslam - Turn of the Century

That is a beautiful rendition of the song.
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 00:12

Top 10 Best-Selling YES Albums

01. 90125   (Sales: 4,128,370)
02. Fragile  (Sales: 2,300,00)
03. Close to the Edge  (Sales: 1,475,687)
04. Yessongs  (Sales: 1,327,480)
05. Tormato  (Sales: 1,115,380)
06. Classic Yes  (Sales: 1,060,000)
06. The Yes Album  (Sales: 1,060,000)
08. Big Generator  (Sales: 1,022,910)
09. Going for the One  (Sales: 726,380)
10. Tales from Topographic Oceans  (Sales: 672,680)

And the worst-selling YES album of all time?

Open Your Eyes, with total worldwide album sales of just 3,450  

Why am I not surprised. Tongue

Paul,

Those sale figures are no doubt inaccurate. The Yes Album you have listed as having 1,060,000 sales. The Yes Album went Platinum in the US (1,000,000) and Silver in the UK (60,000). If what you have listed about the Yes Album is correct that would mean Yes did not sell one single album more from the date it was certified Platinum by the RIAA or Silver by the BPI or one copy in any other country.The Dutch Charts show that the Yes Album charted as high as #7 in that country and year end was the 52nd best selling album in that country. So, it appears there were some copies of that album sold in that country.

Close to the Edge is listed as having 1,475,687 copies sold. CTTE went Platinum in the US (1,000,000), Britain (300,000) and Canada (100,000). That is 1,400,000 copies sold. The RIAA last certified CTTE on April 10, 1998. The BPI certified CTTE Platinum on May 12, 1984. If you look at the BPI chart, it shows not one single copy sold since that date as it is just a flat line since that date. You can see that here:

https://www.bpi.co.uk/award/1381-1295-2

CTTE charted #1 in the Dutch Charts, #16 in Japan, #14 in Italy, #36 in Germany and #21 in Australia.

I would suspect that the figures you have listed are probably far lower than what the real figures would be.

Another example is the Kansas albums Leftoverture, Point of Know Return and Best Of are listed by the RIAA as going 4x Platinum respectively. Howeve, Kansas has stated those albums sold each more than 6,000,000 copies in the US.

My understanding is that the certification process is expensive and bands feel like it is not worth the cost. Some labels don't want to do the certification process not only because of cost but, want to keep the actual real sales figures hidden from the band.

Although my quoted sales figures may not be entirely accurate (understatement!), I don't find it hard to believe that Topographic Oceans sold roughly 200 times more copies than Open Your Eyes, given that Billy Sherwood's album is bottom of nearly every YES fan's list.  Smile
[/QUOTE]

Paul,

According to Billy Sherwood in an interview back in 2017, He stated Open Your Eyes sold about 200,000 copies worldwide. The album was a Sherwood and Squire project with songs written originally for the Conspiracy band. Stop me if you have heard this before with a non-Yes project becoming a Yes album. It was Yes's new management (Left Bank) that pushed for these songs to be reworked into a Yes album.

Steve Howe was reluctant to join the project and felt the material was to pop oriented. Furthermore, the Keys to Ascension 2 had already been recorded with the studio material on that album having the classic Yes sound. In fact, Keys to Ascension 2 was released on November 3, 1997 and Open Your Eyes three weeks later on November 25, 1997. Originally, Open Your Eyes was supposed to be released in 1998, but Left Bank wanted Yes to get back on the road in 1997 and pushed the release date up. Now, if you guessed that Keys of Ascension 2 was recorded under a different label (Castle Communications) you would be correct. They found out Yes was going to tour and were recording a new album and got Keys into the record stores. Howe has stated that neither he or Anderson had much input in the song writing process for Open Your Eyes as they arrived toward the end of the project.

Open Your Eyes is indeed not rated highly by Yes fans and is one of the poorest selling Yes albums.

Edited by Big Sky - January 13 2024 at 00:15
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 07:05

Have you ever wondered what happened to the lost YES album that should've been released a year prior to Going for the One? Well, wonder no more, because here it is, exclusive to ProgArchives and 100 gazillion listeners on YouTube. Smile

4 stars 1976: YES - The Lost Album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSbOcLOCLE

I prefer Telloplanic Views as "lost" album Wink:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 17:09

According to Billy Sherwood in an interview back in 2017, He stated Open Your Eyes sold about 200,000 copies worldwide. The album was a Sherwood and Squire project with songs written originally for the Conspiracy band. Stop me if you have heard this before with a non-Yes project becoming a Yes album. It was Yes's new management (Left Bank) that pushed for these songs to be reworked into a Yes album.

Steve Howe was reluctant to join the project and felt the material was to pop oriented. Furthermore, the Keys to Ascension 2 had already been recorded with the studio material on that album having the classic Yes sound. In fact, Keys to Ascension 2 was released on November 3, 1997 and Open Your Eyes three weeks later on November 25, 1997. Originally, Open Your Eyes was supposed to be released in 1998, but Left Bank wanted Yes to get back on the road in 1997 and pushed the release date up. Now, if you guessed that Keys of Ascension 2 was recorded under a different label (Castle Communications) you would be correct. They found out Yes was going to tour and were recording a new album and got Keys into the record stores. Howe has stated that neither he or Anderson had much input in the song writing process for Open Your Eyes as they arrived toward the end of the project.

Open Your Eyes is indeed not rated highly by Yes fans and is one of the poorest selling Yes albums.

that makes a lot more sense! 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 17:12
BTW the title Keystudio I find kinda lame. xD Sounds more like a name for a MIDI controller rather than a Yes album. :P
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 20:33
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I really like GFTO. I was very young when it came out and I don't remember clearly the first time I listened to it, but obviously after Tales and Relayer it was a significant shift to more accessible music and more song oriented. It's understandable that for some at the time it may have been perceived as a step down, but we must remember that those were the times when Prog had been strongly accused of being too pretentious. Considering everything, it was a shift, yes, but one which attempted to make more focused music without losing actual quality.

The title song was Yes attempt at making a rock song, and personally I like Howe's steel playing and for being a rock song it's much better than the average rock song released by most bands. And live it provided a lot of positive energy.

Turn Of The Century, what can we say? Surely one of the most beautiful songs ever by Yes. Parallels is quite good too, with the majesty of the pipe organ and great bass by Chris.
Wonderous Stories is also beautiful and Awaken one of the great epics of all times.

So, where's the problem really, in the album cover? I may agree that the production is not one of their best, but not IMHO reason enough to critizise much the album.

I don't know what Moraz could have done for Yes if they had kept him, but Awaken is one of the best songs Yes has recorded, and it would certainly have sounded very different if Moraz had stayed with the band, so I can't really say I'm sorry for the way things turned out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123