Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Supertramp album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is your favorite Supertramp album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.14%]
21 [50.00%]
5 [11.90%]
5 [11.90%]
3 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.38%]
2 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Supertramp album
    Posted: April 15 2024 at 07:44
Originally posted by Gnik Nosmirc Gnik Nosmirc wrote:

Not familiar enough. Not prog enough for me perhaps.

what is "prog enough" for you? Confused
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 07:24
Originally posted by Gnik Nosmirc Gnik Nosmirc wrote:

Check out their non-hits. You might like them.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 05:44
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 05:36
Crime
Crisis

They've been one of my Top 5 bands my entire life music listening life.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 03:18
Breakfast in America
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 03:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I went for Brother because it needs much reevaluation. What a splendid mid-80's album - and and a semi-conceptual one at that too. Almost as angry as a Roger Waters solo album, including the related videos. 

Beautifully put! I agree with you completely... one of the best 80's albums released by any band that had its roots in the 70's!!

Indeed.

Crest of Knave, ELPowell are far behind, though they're OK (at best)
Discipline is not the 70's Crimson and Floyd's two albums are more solo albums (one by Roger, which is OK, and David's is awful) than anything else.

Let's not even mention CensoredYes or AngryCamel

Brother isn't 70's Supertramp either (no Roger Hodgson) so could be considered a Rick Davies solo album. I much prefer Hodgson's solo album In The Eye Of The Storm that came out in 1984 and actually sounds to me more like a Supertramp album than RD's offering.

I like Eye Of The Storm, but it's whiny, IMHO. It sounds like Roger is ailing (unease and sores seeps though every pore) and misses being in the band already (not that I think he ever was, since he left), while Brother goes on without Roger and don't (seem to) miss him for one bit. I think Brother is a whole lot more Supertramp than AMLOR is Floyd.

However the next albums (Bird and Haï) would suck big times.

I wouldn't dismiss the other three members' participations in the band's song credits *, and apparently a fair bit of Brother was already written by the time Roger exited the band. Someone even said that Roger didn't want those tracks to appear on FLW, but that remains unconfirmed. 

*: As we've seen very recently, the three (Siebenberg/Thompson/Helliwell) sue Hodgson for unpaid royalties contractual retrocessions since 2015 (which Davies had also stopped in 2019, but this was settled out of court). Roger won, but maybe appeal will be cast.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 15 2024 at 03:04
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 23:20

I went for Brother because it needs much reevaluation. What a splendid mid-80's album - and and a semi-conceptual one at that too. Almost as angry as a Roger Waters solo album, including the related videos. 

Beautifully put! I agree with you completely... one of the best 80's albums released by any band that had its roots in the 70's!!

Indeed.

Discipline is not the 70's Crimson and Floyd's two albums are more solo albums (one by Roger, which is OK, and David's is awful) than anything else.

Brother isn't 70's Supertramp either (no Roger Hodgson) so could be considered a Rick Davies solo album. I much prefer Hodgson's solo album In The Eye Of The Storm that came out in 1984 and actually sounds to me more like a Supertamp album than RD's offering.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 23:55
"Breakfast in America" by miles.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 06:42

Indeed.

I mostly agree with what you say, although I'd prefer to listen to Gilmour's B-grade PF than Water's angst..

but with Camel? I actually like Nude, while Traveller is OK..
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 06:30

Indeed.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 05:51
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

BiA is imo uninteresting ( Who cares of Bee gees disco like vocals ?)

I don't think there was any attempt to imitate the Bee Gees. The Supertramp vocals were always a bit high-pitched anyway. 

I know that ...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 05:48
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

I don't think there was any attempt to imitate the Bee Gees. The Supertramp vocals were always a bit high-pitched anyway. 

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 05:44
Crime of the Century
Crisis what crisis ?
Even in the quietest moments
is a perfect trilogy
Before CS is nevertheless interesting and
....incredibly their second LP ' Indebily stamped ' is not in your list =?!. Why ? just forgotten or ?
After EITQM , I like the Brother where you bound epic title

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 02:47

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 01:34
COTC StarStarStarStarStarStar (yes, 6)

BWYB, Début, EITQM StarStarStarStarStar

BTW, the other Roger's ITEOTS is also quite good, but lacks brilliance and shows hurt rather than anger.

Crisis, Breakfast, StarStarStar

FLW, IS, SNC, SM StarStar

FAAB (not even 1Star - An Awful Thing To WasteLOL >> Roger's Haï2 is just as awful, BTW)

Edited by Sean Trane - January 26 2024 at 01:39
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 00:55
Crime of the Century.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 22:59
Crime is one of the few albums I've heard that I can't find anything to critic against (Camel's Mirage may be another and was also released the same year). OK it may not be on the most cutting edge of prog rock releases compared to the likes of King Crimson and Genesis but it's defintely a prog album. I also love Breakfast In America although that is more pop/rock rather than art school rock which Crime is. I don't care for much other Supertramp other than Fool's Overture so it's a bit of weird one. I think much like Camel their greatest music was squeezed into just a few releases.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 18:57
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

The first is by far the most proggy. I'm not sure why people here don't like that one. The rest are rather poppy and/or straight rock in comparison.

I wonder why 2nd album "Indelibly Stamped" was left off the list. Not that it's a great album or anything, but it shouldn't be left out.

Because it's apparently not that good. I never heard it but it's not rated very highly. The fact that I don't have any "other" votes (not yet anyway) tells me I made the right decision by leaving it off.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 18:41
The first is by far the most proggy. I'm not sure why people here don't like that one. The rest are rather poppy and/or straight rock in comparison.

I wonder why 2nd album "Indelibly Stamped" was left off the list. Not that it's a great album or anything, but it shouldn't be left out.

Edited by Boojieboy - January 25 2024 at 18:43
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 17:40
Originally posted by Nogbad Nogbad wrote:

CWC?

Chris-Chan? :P
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>