Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Albums of 2023: Official Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 08:33
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I don't get it. Don't albums have to be on PA to qualify? How did Overkill get here and many others. Not on PA.

Mike specified who's on PA and who is not, what's prog and what's not. 

Edited by Cristi - February 01 2024 at 08:34
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 08:38
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I don't get it. Don't albums have to be on PA to qualify? How did Overkill get here and many others. Not on PA. 

Yes, I posted three lists:

- The first contains only releases listed at PA (this is the official list).
- The second contains releases not listed at PA but tagged as prog/prog-adjacent at AP.
- The third contains all other releases (non-pa, non-prog or no prog status yet).

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 08:49
^ sorry but i'm only seeing a single list with all releases mixed.

The link to your site doesn't work for me at all :(

As for me i'm only interested in seeing PA releases only on this site but still great job and thanks for all the effort :)

T(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'84eb55bd4e329435',t:'MTcwNjgwMjQ2Ny40ODkwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 09:39
Perhaps you are just scrolling too fast to notice the lists in separate posts and not paying close attention to the numbering. As for Mike's site, it did not work on one of my browsers, but it worked on all others for all of my devices that I regularly use (PC, Macbook, iPhone, iPad). Have you tried different browsers and tried different settings/ temporarily disabling add-ons....? You have had issues dealing with code.

Anyway, great job, Mike. I really like seeing the different lists, and am pleased to now not just mention the "in PA" ones. This approach also helped to notice albums and acts missing in PA. There is such a wealth of fabulous music these days, be it Prog, Prog umbrella/spectrum, semi-Prog, Prog related, and non-Prog and progressive/experimental/art music generally.

Edited by Logan - February 01 2024 at 09:44
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 09:41
Mike thanks for including Rock Andaluz band Sherish with their 2023 album Escampa, it's not on PA but now it gets some kind of attention here when progheads look at the 2023 non PA list, this should not be underestimated for excellent but overlooked bands like Sherish.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 09:57
That was fun, Mike.  Thanks for your hard work.  You knocked it outta the park! Clap

It's nice to notice how fellow member's tastes align with my own. It makes it easier to audition unfamiliar albums.    
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 13:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Perhaps you are just scrolling too fast to notice the lists in separate posts and not paying close attention to the numbering. As for Mike's site, it did not work on one of my browsers, but it worked on all others for all of my devices that I regularly use (PC, Macbook, iPhone, iPad). Have you tried different browsers and tried different settings/ temporarily disabling add-ons....? You have had issues dealing with code.

Anyway, great job, Mike. I really like seeing the different lists, and am pleased to now not just mention the "in PA" ones. This approach also helped to notice albums and acts missing in PA. There is such a wealth of fabulous music these days, be it Prog, Prog umbrella/spectrum, semi-Prog, Prog related, and non-Prog and progressive/experimental/art music generally.

Nope. I may be crazy but not that crazy. This morning it was all one long list with mixed prog and non-prog however NOW it has changed. I don't know why but this happens sometimes. I'll come back to a thread and things rearrange or disappear. I don't get it and just attribute it to just another browser glitch :)

Doesn't matter. Great list(s)!

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'84ecd2a1bd9df96b',t:'MTcwNjgxODA2OC44NjcwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 13:27
Great work, what a success this was! I've compiled the top 50 as a list on RateYourMusic: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/DoomZappo/progarchivess-top-50-albums-of-2023/

Also I apologize for adding/voting for the one album in the list without cover art Embarrassed I've just added a Bandcamp list to its AP page: https://awesomeprog.com/releases/68423

Off to listen to some of the winners now! I haven't even heard #1 yet!

Edited by Mirakaze - February 01 2024 at 13:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 14:22
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

Mike thanks for including Rock Andaluz band Sherish with their 2023 album Escampa, it's not on PA but now it gets some kind of attention here when progheads look at the 2023 non PA list, this should not be underestimated for excellent but overlooked bands like Sherish.

Yes, last year I generally started looking at non-prog music websites and added a lot of releases to AP that weren't exactly prog, but "prog-adjacent" in some way or another. Mainly from RYM, but also from Sputnik and AOTY, and from my German RockHard magazine. I find it very interesting to see the entire spectrum of music that fellow progheads listen to. Most of it is prog, but some is adjacent, and some isn't "prog" at all, but still quite interesting and often awesome. And of course the definition of what is prog is ever shifting ...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 14:33
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it! As mentioned above, I will try to improve on the templates to condense the lists a little bit. There's definitely too much scrolling needed Wink
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 14:44
Interesting Mike, to have a look at all those music websites outside the usual spectrum of prog music. In my opinion a lot of the current prog is less adventurous and elaborate than bands on those websites. I highly recommend the Periplo musical project by Juan Antonio Vergara (see my PA review), from classic 70s prog to folk, prog, flamenco, raga, blues, electronic ... so many new eclectic Spanish bands that sound progressive in their own special way.

Edited by TenYearsAfter - February 01 2024 at 14:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 14:59
^ Interesting! I've added it to AP, hadn't synced it before because I skipped the Various Artists section ...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 23:42
What a great year for prog and 'almost' prog. Excellent work Mike Thumbs Up
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 01:19
This is why I didn't vote. All the listed albums are almost unknown to me. My bad.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 01:37
^ So you haven’t listened to any 2023 release?

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - February 04 2024 at 01:39
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 04:42
Let me check your list better, but at a first glance nothing has come to my mind

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 04:56
Well, I have purchased or just listened to the following:

Neal Morse - The Dreamer
Eloy - Echoes From The Past
Roger Waters - DSOTM Redux
Roz Vitalis - Quid Nesciunt Quid Faciunt
RPWL - Crime Scene
Yes - Mirror To The Sky
Riverside - ID Entity

Quite too few to vote...

Anyway, brwosing the list I've seen more than 10 albums to put on my wishlist
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 07:35
^ not too few to vote at all, but do you think that all of these are awesome? That‘s the only criterion
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 07:45
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

This is why I didn't vote. All the listed albums are almost unknown to me. My bad.

Hi,

After I got done taking a look at the listing, the first thing that came to my mind is that everything was listed that anyone could think of, to make the numbers. 

I can appreciate the work that went into it ... good job ... but I don't like the amazing numbers of albums that dilute what I would consider "progressive music" into simple washing machine juice ... helping you forget your favorites ... that's a good thing! But, sadly, the incredible number of stuff ... I went though Logan's and someone else's 50 list and listened to everything ... but I doubt I will ever get around to listening to this huge list ... besides the point that it is one huge continuous list and if I get to 175, and come back tomorrow, I have to scroll back through everything to get back to 174 or 176. I don't know ... maybe break the list up in 50's?

It's too big ... and I don't know many folks that will even try to get through it. And that might hurt what we really care about when it comes to the music itself ... it's not the database (and its numbers) ... it's the art, or the music!

Edited by moshkito - February 04 2024 at 07:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 08:03
^ like I wrote in the OP: You can browse the list by user and genre here: https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/aoty-2023/results-pa?at=2024-01-31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>