Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Best Decade-Long Run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which band had the best 10 year run?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [19.80%]
25 [24.75%]
16 [15.84%]
32 [31.68%]
8 [7.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Decade-Long Run
    Posted: February 03 2024 at 22:03
Five great bands that had at least a decade run of albums. I didn't include the aborted careers of other well-known bands like King Crimson (who had a run from 1969 - 1974, then stopped for 7 years), ELP (again, had a run from 1970 - 1978, then disappeared for a decade), and VDGG (1969 - 1977). Of course, most of the bands listed had longer runs than the time span displayed, but I didn't want to dilute the selections.

Jethro Tull (1969 - 1979): Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Living in the Past, A Passion Play, War Child, Minstrel in the Gallery, Too Old to Rock and Roll, Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch.

Genesis (1970 - 1980): Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, And Then There Were Three, Duke.

Yes (1970 - 1980): Time and a Word, The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going for the One, Tormato, Drama.

Pink Floyd (1969 - 1979): More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall.

Gentle Giant (1970 - 1980): Gentle Giant, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends, Octopus, In a Glass House, The Power and the Glory, Free Hand, Interview, The Missing Piece, Giant for a Day!, Civilian. 

Oh, and the 69-79, 70-80, etc. thing is for tidiness, not math (as in not equaling exactly 10 but 11 years).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 22:17
Can safely rule out Gentle Giant (weak later albums) and Floyd (no that interested in the earlier ones). Tull only about half I really like. So that leaves Yes v Genesis again. Both are incredibly close. I once tried looking at it 'scientifically' pitting each album against each other like a tournament so I'll do that again.
Trespass v Time and A Word GENESIS
Nursery Cryme v The Yes Album YES
Foxtrot v Fragile GENESIS
Selling England By The Pound v Close To The Edge YES
Lamb Lies Down On Broadway v Tales From Topographic Oceans GENESIS
Trick Of The Tail v Relayer GENESIS
Wind and Wuthering v Going For The One YES
And Then There Were Three v Tormato GENESIS
Duke v Drama YES

that works surprisngly well and annoyingly puts Genesis out front. Did not expect that as I usually think Yes are my favourite of the two but then if you factor in the entire careers Yes are certainly better although Genesis stopped abruptly which always counts against them imo.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 22:49
Hard to choose. Many of my all time favotire albums are in this list. 
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 22:51
As much as I want to vote for Floyd, I can't argue against Genesis
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 23:31
Very tough choice poll
Genesis in the end  
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 00:59
YES
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 01:03
Floyd just over Genesis.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 01:16
I've always considered Genesis overrated. I'm between Floyd and YES. It would have been Yes if the list stopped to GFTO, so it's Floyd. I know that Ummagumma doesn't have much fans, but I absolutely love it, studio album included.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 01:31
Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant Smile
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 01:42
Genesis
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 01:43
My word, they were prolific back then weren’t they?
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 02:09
Pink Floyd, naturally.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 03:27
Genesis
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 03:38
Tull than YES
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 04:25
I would say Tull and Genesis, given the extent of well-made albums over the entire run.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 04:31
So very difficult, an argument for all 5 tbh, but Genesis..
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 06:21
Yes
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 06:32
Floyd > Yes, Tull
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 07:56
I had to defend the Gentlest of Giants.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 08:35
I would describe these as 11 year runs.

Definitely Pink Floyd for me (which had a great 13 year run for me, from 1967 to 1979) followed by Jethro Tull, which had a great 1968 to 1978 run (I'm not not so keen on Stormwatch from 1979). Gentle Giant was really good from 1970-1976 and fabulous for half of that (the first half). Genesis was great until 1976 (peaked in 1974 for me). Yes loses me after 1974 with Relayer, and Close to the Edge has never appealed to me like it has to so many.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>