Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Best Decade-Long Run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band had the best 10 year run?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [19.80%]
25 [24.75%]
16 [15.84%]
32 [31.68%]
8 [7.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 09:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I would describe these as 11 year runs.

From the original post:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Oh, and the 69-79, 70-80, etc. thing is for tidiness, not math (as in not equaling exactly 10 but 11 years). 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 09:05
^ Yes, sorry for that. You're a smarter Greg than I, and I would not expect such an error from you. In my defence, while I tried to read it, my brain was not exactly functioning on all one cylinder (still is not, need coffee).

Edited by Logan - February 04 2024 at 09:10
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 09:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Yes, sorry for that. You're a smarter Greg than I, and I would not expect such an error from you.

We Gregs, an ever-decreasing forename in the annals of nomenclature, must stick together. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 09:32
Yes would be my choice, because I like all their albums in that period (yes, even Tormato). Closely followed by Pink Floyd. The others quite behind.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 10:12
Pink Floyd rather clearly. Deciding on a second place would be tough. It might be Jethro Tull.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 10:21
I voted for JT, but would have voted for PF if it had been from 67 to 77, to include the first two fantastic acid/space rock albums and miss out the awful The Wall. It's clear you did 69 to 79 to include The Wall. The last PF album I listen to is DSOTM.
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 10:24

Pink Floyd

It would be Genesis for the first half but certainly not for the second.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 12:38
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I voted for JT, but would have voted for PF if it had been from 67 to 77, to include the first two fantastic acid/space rock albums and miss out the awful The Wall. It's clear you did 69 to 79 to include The Wall. The last PF album I listen to is DSOTM.

Yeah, I had to make some judicious pruning regarding what interval to choose:

Jethro Tull - started at Stand Up (1969) rather than This Was (1968) due to the nature of the albums (blues-rock, as opposed to proto-prog). And including Stormwatch (1979) marks the end of Tull's "classic period".

Genesis - Started at Trespass (1970) rather than From Genesis to Revelation (1969) simply because Genesis's first album isn't vaguely prog...or any good, for that matter. I guess an argument could be made to omit Duke as no longer "classic Genesis", but really their first album didn't have 2/5ths of the eventual band members either

Yes - Same as Genesis. 

Pink Floyd - I had considered starting at Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967), but it made more sense to start with post-psychedelia and David Gilmour than full-on Syd Barrett (totally different vibe). 

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 04 2024 at 12:39
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 13:39
Genesis. I've met the entire family of roof leak products.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:24

Genesis - Started at Trespass (1970) rather than From Genesis to Revelation (1969) simply because Genesis's first album isn't vaguely prog...or any good, for that matter. I guess an argument could be made to omit Duke as no longer "classic Genesis", but really their first album didn't have 2/5ths of the eventual band members either

Yes - Same as Genesis. 

If Duke (and by extension Drama) don't count as 'classic' then ATTWT and Tormato would have to be removed as well using that argument.
Yes's debut album is far better than Genesis but then it falls within 'proto prog' whereas FGTR is pure pop imo. Yes actually have a natural 10 year album run going from 1969 to 1978 but I do like the years you selected as it made it easier for me to compare these 2 bands.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes - Same as Genesis. 

If Duke (and by extension Drama) don't count as 'classic' then ATTWT and Tormato would have to be removed as well using that argument.
Yes's debut album is far better than Genesis but then it falls within 'proto prog' whereas FGTR is pure pop imo. Yes actually have a natural 10 year album run going from 1969 to 1978 but I do like the years you selected as it made it easier for me to compare these 2 bands.

FGTR : Fankie Goes To Rollywood    
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:32
I like all of'em !
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:34
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

The Wall is a significant album and certainly important to me when I was growing up when I listened to it a lot at the time and it helped keep me sane. Nowadays I tend to avoid it but only because of the flat production although the unrelenting bitterness of Waters can get a bit tiresome after a while. Animals and Wish You Were Here well deserve their status as 2 of the best prog albums of all time. How much prog can you sing along to? Well I was to Welcome To The Machine today in the car. Needless to say I was on my own!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 18:05
Genesis

Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 18:11
Genesis, though I almost chose Gentle Giant.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 18:18
For me, it's Yes, since they get 1980 and for Tull, I prefer '72-'82.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 18:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

For me, it's Yes, since they get 1980 and for Tull, I prefer '72-'82.

Same here. That's why I voted for them more than once. Tongue
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 19:06
Comes down to Yes vs Genesis. Both have 9 studio albums during this run. My personal ranking:

1) Yes: CTTE
2) Yes: Relayer
3) Genesis: SEBTP
4) Yes: The Yes Album
5) Genesis: A Trick of The Tail
6) Genesis: Foxtrot
7) Yes: Fragile
8) Yes: GFTO
9) Genesis: Nursery Cryme
10) Yes: TFTO
11) Yes: Drama
12) Genesis: Wind & Wuthering
13) Genesis: TLLDOB
14) Genesis: Trespass
15) Yes: Tormato
16) Genesis: Duke
17) Yes: Time and a Word
18) Genesis: ATTWT

Each ranked position added for a total score:

Yes (75)
Genesis (96)

Yes wins.

Edited by Big Sky - February 04 2024 at 19:07
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2024 at 04:34
Pink Floyd
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2024 at 05:35
Genesis gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>