Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 19:04

Sex and drugs and rock and roll in all its salacious details. Some of these details I found disturbing, particularly when it concerned the treatment of underage females.

That's not my problem with this book however. It could have used a good proof reader as it is riddled with typographical errors. At one stage a whole paragraph is repeated and there are a number of other errors that I found quite distracting and annoying.

Yes, it looks like I'm stuck in the seventies but that's just the way my reading is flowing at the moment.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - February 27 2024 at 19:06
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 06:22
The Life of Pi - Yann Martel 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 14:36

Jane's Defence Weekly journalist & expert Nick Cook investigates the rumors of 'counterbary', or anti-gravity, being developed in the 1950s.   Good sleuthy read by a credible and informed author.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 15:47
Brave New World
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 16:20

Edited by mellotronwave - March 05 2024 at 16:21
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 17:15

Joseph Farrell's creepy account of Nazi physics & technology during WW2 and how it may have supported a secret post-war fascist network.   Unnerving stuff.

Edited by Atavachron - March 16 2024 at 17:16
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 03:33
Gentle Giant: Every Album, Every Song (On Track)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 04:14
Currently on loan from Nottingham Central Library:-

2020: The Year the World Went Mad - by Mark Woolhouse
Fiasco - The American Military Adventure in Iraq - by Thomas E. Ricks
The Finish - The Killing of Osama Bin Laden - by Mark Bowden
In Trump We Trust - E Pluribus Awesome! - by Ann Coulter
Intel Wars - The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror - by Matthew M. Aid
ISIS - State of Terror - by Jessica Stern & J.M. Berger
Nuclear Weapons - What You Need to Know - by Jeremy Bernstein
Unleashing Demons - The Inside Story of Brexit - by Craig Oliver

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 17 2024 at 04:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 16:20
Sid Smith : In the court of King Crimson, An observation over 50 years (over 600 pages)
(2019 , Panegyric publishing Hardwick, Buckinghamshire, UK)
Revised and expanded edition (first published by Helter Skelter in 2001)
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 17:49
The Progressive Underground, Volume 5 by Kev Rowland
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 18:05
Jan Swafford's gigantic biography of Beethoven-"Beethoven-Anguish and Triumph"; one of the best books i've ever read.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 19:47

Edited by mellotronwave - March 17 2024 at 19:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 20:16
The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde

A short, but great book (really a play, but whatever)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2024 at 06:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

For Christmas, my daughter and her fiance gifted me a new illustrated version of Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy published by The Folio Society. 

The boxed Folio edition is quite sumptuous in regards to print and paper and the illustrations by Neil Packer are superb; however, the translation by Robin Kirkpatrick leaves a lot to be desired.  Too modern a rendering for my tastes. It lacks the poeticism I found in earlier translations, like Longfellow's or Binyon's, for instance.

Hi,

Translations are always a "beech". Having seen my own father's work in many translations, the English ones are always the worst ... at least the ones to French, Italian and Spanish are OK (probably the same school of languages), but the English versions of many books are ... out of line ... and sometimes add "politica;" inventions to make it look stronger and more important, like i one book right on page 2 adding the RED color, as a "symbol" of "another view" or "another idea" or a kind of revolt. It ruined the book, and specially knowing that my dad had already done away with politics by staying strictly with the literary world, and not spend his time on political matters, which I am inclined to believe was one reason why he left Portugal in the first place. 

It's very tough, and Portuguese is horrible to translate since there are more verb tenses than most languages, and it makes a sentence, all of a sudden, have to be explained, which makes it longer.

My dad's own translations of Shakespeare, and some French authors, were interesting, and I have to admit they did not seem to "change" the stories much, although I am not sure that Shakespeare can be appreciated in other languages ... unless your name is Kurosawa and you do RAN, I guess!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 12:55
The Algebraist  by Iain Banks
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 13:48
The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 13:52
"Toscanini: Musician of Conscience" by Harvey Sachs-the definitive book on the great musical conductor
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 13:52
Reading, 'The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 15:11
*Two questions for all the readers here.....
-What is your favorite Pynchon novel?
-Has anyone read any of Peter Ackroyd's non fiction books on London and England in general and did you enjoy them?

Edited by dr wu23 - March 25 2024 at 15:14
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 15:31
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Joseph Farrell's creepy account of Nazi physics & technology during WW2 and how it may have supported a secret post-war fascist network.   Unnerving stuff.

^ Fiction or non-fiction? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>