Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Pete Sinfield essential for King Crimson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Pete Sinfield essential for King Crimson?
    Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:28
In my opinion, Pete Sinfield's King Crimson was the best. Also, I think that if there wasn't the Sinfield era, there hardly would have been Fripp's experimental phase of King Crimson because there would be nothing to start with. Was Pete Sinfield essential for King Crimson? I believe he was. What do you think? Discuss.

Edited by Moyan - February 29 2024 at 10:29
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 11:47
For me, lyrics are the least important part of an album, that is, unless they are so corny, schmaltzy, or predictable that they ruin it.

Pete was involved in four KC albums - don't feel his input was essential.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 12:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

For me, lyrics are the least important part of an album, that is, unless they are so corny, schmaltzy, or predictable that they ruin it.

Pete Sinfield was the one who first introduced King Crimson to surreal concepts. The band successfully dealt with fantastical, emotional, and occasionally storyline elements as a result of Sinflied's thoughts. No Sinfield, no early King Crimson's uncanny masterpiece(s). And that was the first stage of the rocket that launched them into orbit.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 12:56
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Pete Sinfield was the one who first introduced King Crimson to surreal concepts. The band successfully dealt with fantastical, emotional, and occasionally storyline elements as a result of Sinflied's thoughts. No Sinfield, no early King Crimson's uncanny masterpiece(s). And that was the first stage of the rocket that launched them into orbit.

Hey Svet we could use your help adding albums to your suggestions Z Machine and Legs on Wheels, which I just added
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 13:03
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Hey Svet we could use your help adding albums to your suggestions Z Machine and Legs on Wheels, which I just added
You mistook me for someone else.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 13:10
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 13:12
Pete was essential to early KC, not only for lyrics but also overall direction and concepts. He provided a light show for concerts and dabbled on synths on a couple albums including Lizards and the processed drum solo on Earthbound. He was definitely part of the band.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 14:10
Pete’s lyrics were some of the finest ever penned at the time. Absolutely yes they were essential and gave the entire first 2 albums their personality and vibe. In 1969 -70 people just weren’t doing instrumentals unless they were over 50. (Brigadoon, Paul Mauriat, maybe the ventures lol). Those lyrics as sung by Greg Lake created King Crimson and I doubt if RF could have scored so well without them.

Edited by Valdez1 - February 29 2024 at 14:20
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 14:30
I spy with my little eye, someone beginning with the letter S Tongue
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 15:01
Pete was essential for early KC.   ELP should have hired somebody else to write lyrics for Love Beach.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 15:03
Well he did lyrics on the first 4 yet ...Larks Tongues, Starless , and REd are exceptional lps ...so the band obviously did not need his lyrics later so no he was not essential thoiugh he certainly set the tone for the atmosphere on early lps.

Edited by dr wu23 - February 29 2024 at 15:04
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 16:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well he did lyrics on the first 4 yet ...Larks Tongues, Starless , and REd are exceptional lps ...so the band obviously did not need his lyrics later so no he was not essential thoiugh he certainly set the tone for the atmosphere on early lps.

Agreed^

KC's early vocalists-" Haskell, Boswell"  didn't have the lyrical chops that John Wetton had.  Lake wrote decent lyrics, yet ELP employed Sinfield lyrical skills from Brain Salad Surgery through Love Beach.Wink  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 16:41
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Agreed^

KC's early vocalists-" Haskell, Boswell"  didn't have the lyrical chops that John Wetton had.  Lake wrote decent lyrics, yet ELP employed Sinfield lyrical skills from Brain Salad Surgery through Love Beach.Wink  
Except Wetton didn't write the lyrics during his tenure with King Crimson, Richard Palmer James, one of Wetton's buds (and original guitarist for Supertramp), was the lyricist. And I think I appreciate Palmer-James' lyrics more than Sinfield's. "The Night Watch" is an outstanding bit of poetry.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 16:48
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Agreed^

Except Wetton didn't write the lyrics during his tenure with King Crimson, Richard Palmer James, one of Wetton's buds (and original guitarist for Supertramp), was the lyricist. And I think I appreciate Palmer-James' lyrics more than Sinfield's. "The Night Watch" is an outstanding bit of poetry.
And then in the 80's through 2009, Adrian Belew wrote the lyrics.
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 17:37
Not essential but happily welcomed in those early years.  I'll leave it at that.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 17:38

Agreed^

And then in the 80's through 2009, Adrian Belew wrote the lyrics.

Belew had some great lyrics also. and some that were not.  I remember when I first heard Elephant Talk, Sleepless, I was impressed.   Model Man had great simple lyrics.  A far cry though from the doom laden, heavy, medieval fantasy, and somewhat sci-fi Sinfield lyrics, which I enjoy above all else.   

Who wrote "The Letters" anyway... I forget. 

The Song STILL with Greg Lake singing is classic fantastic Sinfield... Whole food Boogie and the rest of Sinfields album seemed to miss the mark for me.

I liked Brain Salad surgery when I was young... Not so much anymore.

I wish Boz had been around longer with KC. His vocals on Earthbound were killer even if recorded poorly. Wetton was the Star Singer after Greg Lake.  He also did some terrific Ballads .  Haskell no slouch either with his quirky singing style.   All good.   

The Power to believe is the album that lost me... Me no like much, lyrically or musically.  Every time I hear BUDE, I feel embarrassed. 

TCoL had good stuff,  but I don't like the way it was produced or "Engineered" by "Machine". 
(whoever he was).   Sounded like the band was compressed in a soundproofed Bathroom with no air.   But Heavy Construkction fixed that... much better.  I actually thought the penis of an alien buried in gelatin was a nice touch.

And Palmer James... fantastic lyrics that took up where Peter left off, albeit with a fresh, more relatable style.

Is Sinfield still with us BTW?  ...Peter?

Edited by Valdez1 - February 29 2024 at 17:48
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 18:39
Pete Sinfield as a lyricist was essential to King Crimson. If you observe how sporadic instruments are in certain songs and how the phrasing of his lyrics are fitting to that its amazing. It's amazing to me how it all came together.

Who else was doing this sort of style? Keith Reid with Procol Harum...Graham Edge in the Moody Blues..however Sinfield could be pure fantasy and its a huge difference in style.

ISLANDS....the lyrics were poetic and clearly could have been detached from the song and released as a poem ...possibly altered slightly..not too much.

INDOOR GAMES...Bizarre...disturbing? Demented? It certainly is if you follow the lyrics. Gordon Haskell's laughter at the end was accidental after he started comprehending the words and struggling to sing them and on Cirkus after singing "Bid me join the parade " he yells in frustration. All of this occurred within him because he felt like he wasn't doing a good job where ironically the laughter and the scream were perfect for the songs. ...so they left it in 😃

Greg Lake was a complete natural. He had a glorious voice and he brought Sinfield's work to life. "EPITAPH ", ITCOTCK etc...

Boz Burrell had the perfect voice for "Formentara Lady" and "Islands". Pete Sinfield was a outstanding lyricist..and of course odd at times...whimsical...bewitching. IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is bewitching. Court, Poseidon, Lizard and Islands would never have carried that unique originality without the lyricism of Pete Sinfield. As a lyricist he made all 4 albums magical. There is in fact something magical about the first 4 albums. ..and they can be dark. They are sophisticated albums. Sinfield's work has a distinctive characteristic to it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 23:55

Pete was essential for early KC.   ELP should have hired somebody else to write lyrics for Love Beach.

Memoirs Of An Officer and a Gentleman, All I Want Is You and For You were decent songs imo. The album was killed by a terrible album cover and not having a decent producer which was absolutely essential for the time (1978).  In any case it would have been better if the band had rested coming off the back of a 140+ date Works tour. I wouldn't blame Sinfield for that album especially as there was a lot going on at the time.
Sinfield was first hired by ELP to help with the sci-fi concept piece Karn Evil 9. He came up with the title based on Carnival. That's all well known, Sinfield then wrote the lyrics for his classic Xmas hit although Lake always managed to take the credit for it. He also wrote the lyrics fo C'Est La Vie which was a massive hit in France for another artist and then later for Bucks Fizz Land Of Make Believe whihc I think made NO1 in the UK. Strange to think this was the same guy that had wrote the lyrics for one of the most important albums in pop and rock history. Lake and Sinfield never worked together again after Love Beach.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 23:58

Agreed^

I did not know that.  I learned something new.Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 02:34
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Pete was essential to early KC, not only for lyrics but also overall direction and concepts. He provided a light show for concerts and dabbled on synths on a couple albums including Lizards and the processed drum solo on Earthbound. He was definitely part of the band.

This!! and the only member that stayed through 5 albums

Apart from bringing the visual parts of Crimson (the artworks, the vocal imagery and lights on stage) he also toyed with sonics both in studio and on stage (VCS3 from the sidelines) 

methinks that what irritated Frippy most was that Sinfield collected as much royalties "just for the lyrics" as he did for Lizard & Island.
That's why he sacked Pete, and he angered Boz, Ian & Mel in doing so. 

Well he did lyrics on the first 4 yet ...Larks Tongues, Starless , and Red are exceptional lps ...so the band obviously did not need his lyrics later so no he was not essential though he certainly set the tone for the atmosphere on early lps.

I certainly enjoyed much more Sinfield's texts than RPJ's or Ade Belew's.
Sinfield wasn't far from beat poetry as was Procol's Keith Reid or Pete Brown (Cream, JB, Battered Ornament & Piblokto). Actually, I believe the latter was openly recognized as a beat poet. 

Edited by Sean Trane - March 01 2024 at 02:46
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>