Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Hackett, the greatest solo prog artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Hackett, the greatest solo prog artist?
    Posted: March 15 2024 at 21:01
He was fantastic in his early days but his creativity and originality fanned out pretty quickly if you ask me. I haven't liked a single non-acoustic album of his since Highly Strung at the very latest, although I haven't heard his most recent album yet
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:19
I don't think there is a greatest. What would be, of course, in Prog would depend on one's own Prog parameters/ music expectations. Many of my favourite artists in PA I might not consider Prog to be an ideal term to describe them (like Klaus Schulze in Electronic, Kate Bush in Crossover, various in folk, or Miles Davis in Prog which would be a real stretch, or David Bowie in related...). Some other names I might consider are Robert Wyatt, Toby Driver William D. Drake, Peter Gabriel. Were I to choose one then I would say, with uncertainty, Peter Hammill.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 16:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well I need to get my ears seen to Smile
No, we all like what we like and don't like what we don't like.......Remember my position on the Fab Four, and my ears are perfectly fine! LOL

So boring means 'don't like'? So does that mean everything you don't like is boring?
No...boring is just that boring. A lot of what I don't like can be boring but not everything. If I don't like something because I think it's useless krapp, that does not mean its boring. 

Not really giving me much. I am intrigued as to why you would think anything by Hackett is boring. It's a damning criticism. He may not be cutting edge but surely there are few more talented musicians that are making music at the level he's at. If he is boring to someone like you then I really think he should give up Wink
You're correct, not giving you much because its highly subjective. I also stated that I do enjoy Acolyte and Please Don't Touch, so that negates the "anything by Hackett..." you mentioned, it's never a black and white answer, it can't be...right??
I consider him cutting edge, not right now but he 100% was in the Genesis era. I have huge respect for his playing.
I'll bring this closer to home, at least for me...I have mad respect for Geddy Lee, I think his bass playing is extremely underrated and under appreciated by many rock music fans. He sings, plays bass, bass pedals and keyboards. Just the singing while playing bass is tough as the two do not go hand in hand.....I think most of his solo album My Fav Headache is boring, not all the songs but most of the album, so as I said boring does not mean I don't like it.
'Anything' not 'everything'.Tongue I'm not talking about having an opinion , everyone has one of course. I don't like that Geddy album either, played it once and then forgot about it instantly. I didn't let it bore me because I listened to it just the once then left it behind. King Crimson's Discpiline actually bores me and annoys me at the same time because I hate Belew's voice and generally dislike minimalism in music. Fripp is a genius but I can still state why I don't like that particlular album.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 16:35
Devin Townsend
Neal Morse
Steven Wilson
Arjen Lucassen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 16:13

No, we all like what we like and don't like what we don't like.......Remember my position on the Fab Four, and my ears are perfectly fine! LOL

So boring means 'don't like'? So does that mean everything you don't like is boring?
No...boring is just that boring. A lot of what I don't like can be boring but not everything. If I don't like something because I think it's useless krapp, that does not mean its boring. 

Not really giving me much. I am intrigued as to why you would think anything by Hackett is boring. It's a damning criticism. He may not be cutting edge but surely there are few more talented musicians that are making music at the level he's at. If he is boring to someone like you then I really think he should give up Wink
You're correct, not giving you much because its highly subjective. I also stated that I do enjoy Acolyte and Please Don't Touch, so that negates the "anything by Hackett..." you mentioned, it's never a black and white answer, it can't be...right??
I consider him cutting edge, not right now but he 100% was in the Genesis era. I have huge respect for his playing.
I'll bring this closer to home, at least for me...I have mad respect for Geddy Lee, I think his bass playing is extremely underrated and under appreciated by many rock music fans. He sings, plays bass, bass pedals and keyboards. Just the singing while playing bass is tough as the two do not go hand in hand.....I think most of his solo album My Fav Headache is boring, not all the songs but most of the album, so as I said boring does not mean I don't like it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 17:19

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 15:14
Useless Krapp would be a killer band name.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 14:52

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2024 at 19:13
Hackett is maybe not the greatest of them all, but I'd say he is something of a flag bearer of prog, still connecting classical Genesis and his own 70s work with regular new music that at the same time shows his broad horizon and continuity and integrity. I have seen Hackett twice live, and he was great on both occasions. I'm looking forward to seeing him a third time later this year. In fact I agree with those who say that his solo work is of mixed quality, he has great albums (I love To Watch The Storms, to not mention the earlier more popular stuff, I also love some of his classical guitar work), but then he also has a good number that leaves me cold, and I'd probably rate Oldfield's and surely Kate Bush's output above Hackett's as a whole. But I don't mind. If a general ambassador for prog is needed, the job is his anyway.  

Edited by Lewian - March 13 2024 at 19:14
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2024 at 17:53

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2024 at 12:01

Hi,

My only issue with this is that we're making our personal tastes be the ideal and design by which someone is known, understood, or appreciated, and in reality, when it comes to the arts, just like all your neighbors, some are fine and you can say hello to them and some are not fine ... it is what it is ... but I don't think it is up to me to decide they are not good players, musicians, artists or writers, simply because they frown when I say good morning! 

Sp do some dogs!

When it comes to the arts, REGARDLESS, I have no dislikes ... because that is like saying they should not be there, and that is not for us to decide or comment on!

The sad thing, is that in the end, we lack the respect for "progressive music" and its many ways, talents and designs, simply based on likes and dislikes? 

Pish on history, who cares, specially people who lack the respect for people that put their neck out, against all odds, to create music, and some of it we remember and some we don't ... but why would I waste time here, or elsewhere, saying I don't like this or that ... c'mon, yummy yummy I got w**k in my tummy ... I think is OK to not like, as it is rather silly, and obviously not about the art, but the cleverness to make some money ... however, I'm not going to sit here and say they are bad, because I don't like it ... they are who they were and that's that ... who am I to change history?

And this is a serious problem with many folks in the Internet ... not appreciating the art form ... after all, they do say it's all songs, and no one can possibly be an artist ... like all of us that are too chicken to even try it and be laughed at ... look at how many decided to take their chances, good or bad or otherwise.

I make fun of some bands here and there, but it is not a dislike ... as they have a right to do and be where they are. And I think we need to respect that a bit more.

And "greatest" ... how "Godless" can one be to be looking for an alternative image!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2024 at 10:38

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 18:35
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 11:00
His playing is INCREDIBLE!!!! No doubt, but I liken his solo efforts the same I do with Ritchie Blackmore, very boring and tough to get into. Blackmore as well an amazing guitarist.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2024 at 17:43
Hackett's solo albums actually compare favorably with Genesis albums of similar release years.
Acolyte v Trick 
Please Don't Touch v Wind and Wuthering
Spectral Mornings v And Then There Were Three
Defector v Duke
Okay he is versus himself on the first 2 but he was able to give some of ideas to Genesis and still match 4 guys. Must say something.
Comparing anything he did to earlier Genesis albums is massively pointless imo. Different eras and Hackett was a big part of those albums anyway.

His recent albums don't seem to receive the love that I would expect. I consider At The Edge of Light a masterpeice albeit with an almost operatic pomposity that appears to put many off. The latest is very strong and perhaps more eclectic and less pompous. Hopefully that will change a few minds. His playing is still incredible imo.

Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2024 at 14:08
I dig Steve Hackett's work, but I never quite felt the same spark as others with his solo works. Much prefer some of the works of Peter Gabriel, Fish, and Omar Rodriquez Lopez for my prog solo moods.
D~B
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2024 at 12:09
Genesis as a band are easily in my top 5 all time, and I've been listening to music since early 70's. I dearly love his work in Genesis. But his solo work is less than desirable for me, especially the more recent albums that are pretty boring IMO. Acolyte and Please Don't Touch are more in my wheelhouse, I enjoy those records.
Records like Wolflight are very tough listen.......Greatest solo prog artist? I could not consider him in that top spot.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 13:19
One particular aspect to Steve Hackett's style is his songwriting. I'm talking about actual singer songwriting type of stuff which traditionally consists of an intro, 2 or 3 verses a bridge and a couple of chorus...which people like Tony Banks enjoyed The Kinks for that reason.

The verses , bridge and chorus don't always have to be in the same order. The idea of attempting a song can sometimes be more difficult than composing an instrumental. It depends on what you're hearing in your head and trying to produce that sound on different instruments...however some songs are complete when they are inspiring you as you sit out in a field with an acoustic guitar.

Steve Hackett's songwriting improved immensely by Darktown or To Watch Storms. Cured felt like an experiment with commercial songwriting. "Funny Feeling" wasn't exactly up to par with the songs Michael Rutherford wrote for Smallcreeps Day nor was it comparable to the level of Anthony Phillips attempt at being Pop.

However by the time Steve Hackett's Guitar Noir came out..you could hear that he made a quantum leap as a songwriter. In another sense certain songs that he wrote for Please Don't Touch such as "Narnia " and "Racing In A" were very solid and on the level of Genesis back in 76'.

"Everyday" was a good song which was about his girlfriend who had unfortunately died from drugs. The song contained a long jam at the end and overall it was nowhere near the level and impact that "Narina" had. On Defector "The Show" and "Time To Get Out" were decent but not genuine songwriting work of art like "Narnia "..imo

His songwriting improved on his later albums. Now he seems more crafted ...not unlike Todd Rundgren or 10CC. As an instrumentalist he has always been top notch! From Voyage Of The Acolyte onward his instrumental composition is surely comparable to The Enid . He was already on that level while in Genesis. His songwriting gradually developed overtime

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 06 2024 at 13:22
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 07:44
The Prog Corner
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 07:45
Hi,

I have my reservations, and I do not like to post on "best" of this or that.

However, I find that there are a lot of "solo" artists, that do not exactly fit as "solo", and that the music they make is basically a copy of everything else they do, and while they show (maybe!!!) a different/nice side, in the end, I find them lacking a bit. Of all the "solo" albums, from GENESIS (for example) no one comes close to Anthony Phillips, in terms of ability, and conceptualization and design of the work he does ... he simply makes the word "solo" sound stupid!

I don't know how I feel about Steve Howe. I like his excursions to somewhere, but often, specially after TFTO, they seemed to be just loud moments, and not quite as exciting, for my ears. When I compare him to others that went ... like Michael Karoli, and even John Weinzierl (AD2) whose specially impressive work is not ever mentioned, even after the incredible lead/solo non-stop in the title piece "YETI" ... that is almost too much, and sort of (SORT OFFFFFF!!!) inspired by a Jon McLaughlin type of playing, that you can not project where it is going at all ... but it does! This is FAR AND AWAY from the type of "solo" that is made out of the chord progressions and designs, which, to me, is not quite a solo, but an exercise in learning more about the chord, and more often than not lacks the emotion to be worth a mention. For example, I do not consider Eric Clapton a good solo artist, even with the early days on Cream. But his "fame" superseded it all.

The biggest issue, here, in discussing "best" is that there is no definition for it, and someone doing this to classical music, as opposed to the simplistic rock song, or even some jazz work, makes it almost impossible to define a "really good" player ... that works his music better with his inventiveness ... and in this area, when you listen to Toni McPhee in his Groundhogs days, his use of effects on top of his solos is an amazing thing, but he is not heard, or appreciated, next to the many "more famous" and "heard" solo artists out there.

I like SH, but he is not better than Anthony PHillips, in terms of totality of work and explorations of his medium ... he has done soundtracks, jingles, folk, and so many other things, as to make some of the "solo" folks listed just repeating themselves. It reminds me of Jorma Kaukonen, in his early days of going all over the place and so many pieces for HOT TUNA being different with another solo ... but you never heard the old bootlegs by Hot Tuna, to imagine the same piece ... with a different solo in it ... and ... yeah ... he was crazy if it could be said, but one should also admit ... that's amazingly insane. Another example, is Jan Akkerman who sounds good in Focus in the early days soloing on top of everything else, but in his solo albums, it is all about the "song" and none of his "solos" stand up or can compare to his early work ... it's like ... I'm too famous for a solo now ... my idea of Steve Howe, now, and many others.

Edited by moshkito - March 05 2024 at 07:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>