Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive decades series: In & Out of PA: 60s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive decades series: In & Out of PA: 60s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Vote for two choices in PA and two not in PA.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [6.67%]
4 [13.33%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
2 [6.67%]
6 [20.00%]
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
2 [6.67%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive decades series: In & Out of PA: 60s
    Posted: March 05 2024 at 13:12
This is a separate interactive poll series from the regulars, which is intended to cover the decades from the 60s up to the 2020s. The first one which is this one, is for the 1960s. In this for each poll, a person nominates one track not in PA and one track that is in PA. I suggest avoiding the biggest of names and avoiding very long tracks. Come voting time, we listen to the selections and vote for, I'm thinking maybe three pairs that we like, or three in PA and three out of PA. Not sure. Anyone can make other interactive polls for any of the decades.

I will start with these, please use this format for your mentions:

In PA:

East of Eden "Moth" (Mercator Projected, 1969)

Not in PA:

The Ventures "Out of Limits" ((The) Ventures in Space, 1964)

Hope some people like this series and want to participate and even make decade polls for it.

EDIT: One can now vote for two in PA and two out of PA choices. If anyone wants to add more duos, those will be considered bonus entries, and there will be an additional vote allowed for one of those or two if there are more than one.

And happy birthday to me. So many changes over the last century and yet it is said that the more that things change the more they stay the same, or, better, as Spinal Tap put it, the more it stays the same, the less it changes.

Here is the non-bonus list from which one voted for two in PA and two out of PA choices.

East of Eden "Moth" (Mercator Projected, 1969)
The Ventures "Out of Limits" ((The) Ventures in Space, 1964)
Aphrodite's Child "It's Five o'Clock" (It's Five..., 1969)
The Herd "From the Underworld" (single, 1967)
Wigwam "Luulosairas" (1969, single)
Tapio Rautavaara "Kulkurin iltatähti" (1965, single)
It's a Beautiful Day "Bombay Calling" (It's a Beautiful Day, 1969)
Kid Baltan "Mechanical Motions" (single Electronic Music, 1961)
Arzachel "Garden of Earthly Delights" (Arzachel, 1969)
Morgen "Of Dreams" (Morgen, 1969)
Le Orme "Non so restare solo" (Ad Gloriam, 1969)
Child "Hold on I'm Coming" (Child, 1969)
The United States of America "The Garden of Earthly Delights" (s/t, 1968)
Nino Rota "Titolo di Testa" (La Dolce Vita, 1960)

My mother worked in refugee camps in Italy and supplemented her meagre income with extras work. She met Fellini at a restaurant or cafe and he asked her to take part in the group dinner scene in La Dolce Volta. She was filmed but did not make the final cut, according to her, because she was much too interesting. ;)

Anyway, one can vote now (two for in PA and two for out of PA). Thanks to all who participated.

The playlist:

Edited by Logan - March 09 2024 at 10:40
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 14:01
Nice idea, I will try and post two songs tomorrow. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 16:38
In PA

Aphrodite's Child - It's Five O'Clock (blatant Procol rip off but I like it) 1969

Not In PA

The Herd - From The Underworld (ft 15 yr old Peter Frampton) 1967

Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 23:15
Great idea for a poll! Here's a couple of Finland's finest:

In PA:

Wigwam -  Luulosairas (1969, single)

Not in PA:

Tapio Rautavaara - Kulkurin iltatähti (1965, single)

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 03:04
Not sure if my prog suggestion is part of those "biggest" names... They are big to me (but hardly ever talked about on these forums, is my impression) and this one is off one of my preferred 60s prog albums. Something in it may sound familiar and is related to one of those biggest names. Wink
My non-PA suggestion is from one of the major (Dutch) pioneers of electronic music, Dick Raaijmakers (aka Kid Baltan).

In PA:

It's a Beautiful Day "Bombay Calling" (It's a Beautiful Day, 1969)

Not in PA:

Kid Baltan "Mechanical Motions" (single Electronic Music, 1961)

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 06:03
Going psychedelic.

In PA:

Arzachel - Garden of Earthly Delights (Arzachel, 1969)

Not in PA:

Morgen - Of Dreams (Morgen, 1969)

Edited by mathman0806 - March 06 2024 at 06:09
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 06:20
not on PA

on PA

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 14:44
Hi,

Ok ... time to pull out my Electric Prunes albums!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 16:00
Not on PA:
Nino Rota - Titolo di Testa (La Dolce Vita soundtrack)

On PA:
The United States of America - The Garden of Earthly Delights (same title but not the same song as the one of Arzachel)

Edited by Lewian - March 06 2024 at 16:07
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 11:03
Thanks all.

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Not sure if my prog suggestion is part of those "biggest" names... They are big to me (but hardly ever talked about on these forums, is my impression) and this one is off one of my preferred 60s prog albums. Something in it may sound familiar and is related to one of those biggest names. Wink

It's a big name to me too, and one I often have referenced, mostly when people go on about how great that other track is by you-know-who.  I much prefer IaBD's Bombay Calling.  There is also the Vince Wallace version.  I know and love most that have been mentioned, and I won't automatically disqualify the knowns from my votes (George posted two particular faves of mine).

By the way, I think for voting it will be two from the in PAs and two from the out of PAs, not that I think that really matters.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 13:49
Although it's easy enough to see what was suggested and view the videos, here is the playlist in order of videos presented except that it consistently alternates with "in PA" and then "out of PA".

The forum is hardly active now, and I plan to put these up tomorrow. Still time to share, and in fact, if anyone else wants to share their in and out of PA 60's duo after I put the poll results up, feel free and I will add those as bonuses -- which also can be voted for as one or two, depending on the number of entries, bonus votes.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.

Edited by Logan - March 08 2024 at 13:50
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 16:10
I love that Aphrodite's Child song!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 22:22
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I love that Aphrodite's Child song!

I've only recently started to listen to it but it's so addictive it's mad! They were obviously taking their cue from Procol's Whiter Shade Of Pale which remains one of the biggest hit records of all time.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 10:29
Poll is up for voting.  Vote for two in PA and two out of PA.  Thanks.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 13:02
I didn't know the Arzachel track by the way and I love it! It's a fun coincidence that the thing that attracts me most at first listening (other than the East of Eden, which is a favourite album of mine) has the same title as one of my proposals. Big smile

By the way, relistening to the excellent United States of America album after some time, it struck me hard how close this is to The Noise Made by People by Broadcast from 2000, which I love to pieces.

Edited by Lewian - March 09 2024 at 13:05
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 23:12
In PA votes:

East of Eden "Moth"
Arzachel "Garden of Earthly Delights"

Non PA votes:

The Ventures "Out of Limits"
Child "Hold on I'm Coming"

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2024 at 09:42
I'm going for all ones that I already knew...

IN PA:
It's a Beautiful Day - Bombay Calling (It's a Beautiful Day, 1969)
And it's between both Garden of Earthly Delights for my second vote, and will just pip it for Arzachel.

Not in PA:
Morgen - Of Dreams (Morgen, 1969)
Nino Rota - Titolo di Testa (La Dolce Vita, 1960)

So nothing there that is not very well-known to me, but all wonderful. It is with the 60s to mid 70s (most so with the late 60s I would think) where we at PA will commonly find the most interests in common across disparate individuals.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2024 at 00:29
In PA
Wigwam and Arzachel

Much harder to pick ones out of PA as it's quite an eclectic bunch. I'll pick Morgen for one although it sounds like the band were not only recorded in a different building but maybe a different country to that of the vocalist! I'll go with The Ventures for the other with that Shadows vibe. Nice.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 11:25
Before the eighties poll starts, I vote for Arzachel, East of Eden, Kid Baltan (this is really great, and I didn't know it), and Morgen. 

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 08:50
Hmm... A nice playlist. Much is rather "classic" classic rock (which was maybe to be expected); nothing that really clearly stood out, neither anything that was a letdown. Enjoyable, but then difficult to come to a selection of favourites.
I'll go with the two Gardens of Earthly Delights (Arzachel and The United States of America), The Ventures and The Herd.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>