Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 21st Century Schizoid Man vs Heart of the Sunrise
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21st Century Schizoid Man vs Heart of the Sunrise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [48.08%]
27 [51.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21st Century Schizoid Man vs Heart of the Sunrise
    Posted: April 02 2024 at 09:44
These two compositions are often compared and contrasted, so it's time for a poll.

Steve Howe on "Heart of the Sunrise": It was Chris who wrote the main riff. I always thought the riff was influenced by "21st Century Schizoid Man", but I suppose we got away with it.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 09:55
Heart of the Sunrise, no question, and I love 21st Century Schizoid Man
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 09:59
I love both songs, I don't want to choose... EmbarrassedLOL
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 10:02
Yes - Heart of the Sunrise Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 10:42
"Heart of the Sunrise" is a really special song to me. I used to love 21st Century Schizoid Man and even included it in a recent playlist of my faves, but it does not have the same effect on my now and feels more shallow in a way and less resonant to me. I's rather listen to Epitaph or others off it.

By the way, as a teen, for some time Fragile was my favourite album. It can be so magical. I have the music so ingrained that I don't feel like I ever need listen to it again, and it still comes to mind often.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 11:26
21st Century Schizoid Man. King Crimson is one of my favorite bands in prog. Yes is not. But Heart of the Sunrise is still wonderful.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:15
Gotta have Heart !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:46
Crimson
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:47
HOTS
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 15:01
Heart. Only the alternation loud/quiet and THAT bass line leaves Schizoid behind.
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 15:41
21st Century Schizoid Man
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 16:07
YES is my answer.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 16:48
Yes gets the nod. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 16:49
Both equally... no vote
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 18:11
21st Century Schizoid Man is one of the best debut album openers of all time along woth ELP's Barbarian. Considering Greg Lake had to teach himself the bass to play on the KC album then it is an extraordinary performance and then he betters it a year later!
It may seem strange bordering on the ridiculous to even out and out total heresy but Greg Lake may actually have been a better bass player than Chris Squire in those early days (KC debut plus ELP first 2 albums versus Yes first 3 albums).
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 21:27
Crimson on this one
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 21:36
I think 21st Century Schizoid Man is among the greatest songs by King Crimson; on the other hand, there are several Yessongs I rank higher than Heart of the Sunrise, even on that very Fragile album - so I have to go with KC here.
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 23:17
Yes Heart of the Sunrise, pretty easily. HOTS falls somewhere between 5-7 on my ranking of Yes songs depending on the day. Only Starless from KC would get in the Top 10 if I ranked all the Yes and KC songs together. Schizoid Man is still a good piece of music though.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 02:52
I'm a YES fan, but Schizoid is great!
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 02:55
I prefer 'Heart', but love both and recognise 'Schizoid' as being the more important historically...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>