Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Rock Timeline: 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.63%]
2 [5.26%]
1 [2.63%]
4 [10.53%]
2 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.63%]
1 [2.63%]
4 [10.53%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [15.79%]
3 [7.89%]
2 [5.26%]
4 [10.53%]
1 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.89%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.63%]
1 [2.63%]
1 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Rock Timeline: 2008
    Posted: April 02 2024 at 11:36
Compiled from Wikipedia's Timeline of Progressive Rock (2000-2009) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_progressive_rock_(2000%E2%80%932009)

3 stars 2008: Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic, Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M56cJgx-ohw
3 stars 2008: Birds and Buildings - Bantam to Behemoth - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ncyLV8cTuL-zrm_Bqams1P2ySG_dUbo2Q
4 stars 2008: Karmakanic - Who's the Boss in the Factory? - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kTtpunMZV6zOnR_RUXXddfbgOj5TKyHiI 
4 stars 2008: Moon Safari - Blomljud - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBWhKQV4-7Y&t=3934s
2 stars 2008: The Sound of Animals Fighting - The Ocean and the Sun - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nv7hxTlBIRUUD5opnjaA60KuXG3RuMYZ0
5 stars 2008: Unitopia - The Garden - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OYOsnYm3b4
3 stars 2008: Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains the Same - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lmqAR-UnRNdSnNs-aCjqKqCckKXD8qLf0
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:06
Birds and Buildings' Bantam to Behemoth is an album I used to love when it was out. I should listen to it again. It gets my vote.

For three not in the poll in PA and three out of PA that I am into...

In PA:
Elephant9 - Dodovoodoo
Kayo Dot - Blue Lambency Downward
Secret Chiefs 3 - Xaphan: Book of Angels

Out of PA:
Portishead - Third
Isengrind/TwinSisterMoon/Natural Snow Buildings - The Snowbringer Cult
Juana Molina "- Un día
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:12
Marillion Happiness Is The Road album cover
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:44
Combat Astronomy - Dreams No Longer Hesitate
Elephant9 - Dodovoodoo
Guapo - Elixirs
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:49
Farpoint
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 12:59
Beardfish > Pendragon > The Tangent > Abel Ganz
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 13:05
1. Mostly Autumn 
2. Unitopia
3. Abel Ganz
4. Ayreon
5. Pendragon

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 02 2024 at 13:05
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 13:09
not a great list for me, but I'll go with Pendragon
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 16:17
None of my favs are here, still trying to decide.
My top three:

Steven Wilson- Insurgents
One Shot- Dark Shot
Jannick Top- Infernal Machina
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 16:46
I'll go with The Tangent - Not as Good as the Book. Love the album.

Dir En Grey? I'm a fan but they ere too extreme for most of the folks here. LOL
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 16:49
Marillion from this list. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 17:56
Not a good list for me, only Asia -Phoenix is the only thing I've listened to on then list properly and it's maybe their second best album overall. I'll vote for that then.

The albums from this year I enjoy but not on the list
It Bites - The Tall Ships
Magenta - Metamorphosis
Elephant9 - Dodovoodoo
Keith Emerson - Keith Emerson Band ft Marc Bonilla
Panic Room - Visionary Position
Martin Orford - The Old Road - check out this abbreviated list of guest musicians , obviously pulled in a few favours!

- David Longdon
 - John Wetton

- Steve Thorne
- John Mitchell
- Gary Chandler
- Mike Holmes 
- Andy Edwards 
- Nick D'Virgilio 

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 01:43
Mostly Autumn - Glass Shadows
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic, Part 2
Marillion - Happiness Is The Road
Pendragon - Pure

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 02:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Magenta - Metamorphosis

Yes, both of these deserve a mention, along with:

The Reasoning - Dark Angel
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 02:38
I'm not trying to make a marked point out of this other than the observation that on this site back in 2008, it would have been inconceivable that Ayreon would have had no mentions on this site, they were so loved..

Do you feel their music hasn't stood the test of time as well as others?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 02:45
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I'm not trying to make a marked point out of this other than the observation that on this site back in 2008, it would have been inconceivable that Ayreon would have had no mentions on this site, they were so loved..

For me, their music became more and more tedious after 2008. 
Also it's the same recipe repeated over and over, if you listened to an album, you've listened to them all. Dead
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 03:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Also it's the same recipe repeated over and over, if you listened to an album, you've listened to them all. Dead

Well, you know I've never liked them at all personally, so I don't want to have a dig... as you know, I was fairly active in the forums here 2005-2008, and sporadically in between. What I had noticed between the two 'eras' are how there seem to be some bands who used to have a loyal fanbase amongst PA members during that time, that don't have the same traction these days... I think there was a greater focus on prog-metal back then (there were always threads on DT!) I suppose I was wondering whether some bands from that 'middle' period have stood the test of time better than others? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 03:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Not a good list for me, only Asia -Phoenix is the only thing I've listened to on then list properly and it's maybe their second best album overall. I'll vote for that then.

It Bites - The Tall Ships
Magenta - Metamorphosis
Elephant9 - Dodovoodoo
Keith Emerson - Keith Emerson Band ft Marc Bonilla
Martin Orford - The Old Road - check out this abbreviated list of guest musicians , obviously pulled in a few favours!

It Bites, Martin Orford and Magenta were all in my previous 2008 prog poll. Thumbs Up

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 03:18

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Well, you know I've never liked them at all personally, so I don't want to have a dig... as you know, I was fairly active in the forums here 2005-2008, and sporadically in between. What I had noticed between the two 'eras' are how there seem to be some bands who used to have a loyal fanbase amongst PA members during that time, that don't have the same traction these days... I think there was a greater focus on prog-metal back then (there were always threads on DT!) I suppose I was wondering whether some bands from that 'middle' period have stood the test of time better than others? 

Yes, there were more users into progressive metal back then, some of them quite knowledgeable. Smile

I did listen to Ayreon for a little while, but no more, I've grown tired of them. I have also listened to a few other Arjen projects and bands, just my curiosity getting the worst of me. LOL

There are a few other bands i gave up on, but that's another story. EmbarrassedSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 03:27
I'm a big fan of Ayreon too, but even I'd have to agree that all of their albums sound the same after awhile. Smile

Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Complete Discography

5 stars 2000: Ayreon - Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVOsr4GKrzU
4 stars 2000: Ayreon - Universal Migrator Part 2: Flight of the Navigator -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvWTIYnQcuY
5 stars 2018: Ayreon - Ayreon's Universe: Best of Ayreon Live - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGn3wi7b7b606GfoKAdOgm6rtX9OliRc

3 stars 1994: Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Pools of Sorrow, Waves of Joy - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A7MsAKmnfIgAWZzQwqyiaxpvjH1Gif0
4 stars 1996: Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Strange Hobby - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB87CB1D16F331CFF
4 stars 2012: Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost in the New Real - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mHPJknQMxGE9JfUuZ519pzA2DmDQ_VdJQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>