Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List country's band/artist, album, TV show, film
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List country's band/artist, album, TV show, film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List country's band/artist, album, TV show, film
    Posted: May 10 2024 at 13:39
England

This is hard, so much good stuff!😅

Song: Comfortably Numb
Prog Band: IQ
Prog Album: Road Of Bones
Metal Band: Iron Maiden
Metal Album: Live After Death
Modern musical legend: Mike Oldfield
Pop Band: Keane
Pop Album: Hope And Fears
Author: Sebastian Faulks
Book: Birdsong
Film: Brassed Off
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
Actress: Emma Thompson
TV series (drama): Line Of Duty
TV series (comedy): Only Fools And Horses
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Fercandio46 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fercandio46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 20:59
Hello, Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz was made for television so technically it would fall into that category...13 chapters and an epilogue!
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 03:56
^You have great movie tastes.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2024 at 15:42
Hi,

I wish I could do Germany ... for all the knowledge of "krautrock", the one thing I have nothing on and never seen is German Television and (in general) more about artists and painters.

Band: AD2/Can/Popol Vuh/Guru Guru
Artists and Writers: Wim Wenders, Peter Handke (though he is originally Austrian)
Film: Aguirre by Herzog/Fassbinder for sure/Schlondorff
Artist: Falk Ulrich Rogner who played keyboards and did a lot of the early cover for AD2

There were a lot of special open performances in theater, kinda like the American version of "The Living Theater"  (Julian Beck and Judith Malina) ... and you can see Klaus Kinski doing it in a Herzog film about his friend.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 13:37
France

Band: Gong
Artist: Pierre Moerlen
Album: Camembert Electrique
Film: Pierrot Le Fou
Novel: In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - May 06 2024 at 13:37
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 10:11
I wanted to do a slightly longer version of my US list where I tried to keep it super simple.

United States

Band: Swans
Artist: Weyes Blood (or Lingua Ignota)
Album: Bloom by Beach House
TV Show: Twin Peaks
TV show not Twin Peaks: Fargo
Film: Harold and Maude
Novel: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

And a new country for me to do:

Portugal

Music Artist: Bruno Pernadas
Album: Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them by Pernadas
Pernadas Song: Hard to choose between "Spaceway 70" off Crocodiles, "Step Out of the Light" off Private Reasons" and "Pink Ponies Don't Fly on Jupiter" off his debut.
Author: Jose Saramago
Novel: Blindness by Saramago

Edited by Logan - May 06 2024 at 10:12
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:49
^ I loved Katla -- it resonated strongly with me. It reminded me somewhat of one of my very favourite shows, Les Revenants (aka The Returned). Another show I liked from Iceland is Trapped (and I watched Entrapped) -- like Katla, I saw those on Netflx.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 23:07
^  I watched Katla, enjoyable TV show. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 05:15
Some of my favourite shows are set in Iceland, and loved the film Lamb, and I am fascinated by the island, its people, and the arts that come from there. I would love to travel there before long. Maybe I'll even try the fermented rotten shark.

Iceland

Music Artist: Björk
Björk Album: Homogenic
Björk Song: "Isobel" (from Post)
Band: Sigur Rós
Sigur Rós Album: ( )
Sigur Rós Song: "Untitled #8 (Popplagið)" off ( )
TV Show: Katla
Film: Lamb
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 05:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

^ Top Of The Lake is brilliant and also starred the great Scottish actor Peter Mullan ( I forgot to pick an actor for my Scottish selection but he would be it). I didn't realise Split Enz were on PA until a filtered a best album list by country. The top album is Mental Notes from 1975 and that's also a surprise as I had them down as one of those many post punk new wave bands that sprung ip in the 80's. My favourite song from NZ is undoubtedly Weather With You. That and McCartney's Listen To What The Man Says are my favourite songs to hear in a beer garden on warm sunny day with a cold beer in hand. For actor maybe Anna Paquin although she was born in Canada but raised in Wellington. True Blood was superb. Always good to discover a fun fact or two and when I googled her I found that she is married to the very talented actor/director Stephen Moyer and also born on the same day as Elizabeth Moss (wow must have been some strange voodoo sh*t going on that day!). Agree a little bit on Peter Jackson's early shlock horror films being perhaps is most fun stuff (Braindead especially) although are you including the films The Frighteners (Michael J Fox) and Heavenly Creatures as well? Of his later films They Shall Not Grow Old is an essential educational film about WW1 (the so called Great War). Technical masterpiece.

I was in the same school (junior and senior) as Stephen Moyer (year below) and we were quite good friends in our early teens - he used to come round and play snooker on my 5 foot by 2 and a half foot table. He was always the lead in the school play/musical so it was no surprise that he went into acting - he’s done ok! I still haven’t watched True Blood - DVDs are sitting in the cupboard🙄

Wow that's amazing! Moyer recently acted in and directed some episodes of the Paramount TV series Sexy Beast. Like his work on that a lot.

He was Stephen Emery before he changed his name. A cheeky chappy, and a big hit with the ladies (including one teacher, allegedly….)🤓
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:34
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

The United States Of America

Band - Kansas
Solo Artist - Neil Young
Album - The Tubes by The Tubes
TV Show - NYPD Blue
Film - The French Connection
Director - Francis Ford Coppola
Actor - Al Pacino
I have met Canadian actor Currie Graham, who played in NYPD Blue; he went to the same high school as I did in Prescott, Ontario, Canada, and I also met and knew his father a little, who was a high school principal in the area. 

That's cool Doug, loved Currie Graham in NYPD Blue. Unfortunately I've never met any actors of any note. If I had the choice to meet any actor it would probably be Julie Waters. She comes across as fun but also has some excellent acting credits including an Oscar for Educating Rita. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:29
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

^ Top Of The Lake is brilliant and also starred the great Scottish actor Peter Mullan ( I forgot to pick an actor for my Scottish selection but he would be it). I didn't realise Split Enz were on PA until a filtered a best album list by country. The top album is Mental Notes from 1975 and that's also a surprise as I had them down as one of those many post punk new wave bands that sprung ip in the 80's. My favourite song from NZ is undoubtedly Weather With You. That and McCartney's Listen To What The Man Says are my favourite songs to hear in a beer garden on warm sunny day with a cold beer in hand. For actor maybe Anna Paquin although she was born in Canada but raised in Wellington. True Blood was superb. Always good to discover a fun fact or two and when I googled her I found that she is married to the very talented actor/director Stephen Moyer and also born on the same day as Elizabeth Moss (wow must have been some strange voodoo sh*t going on that day!). Agree a little bit on Peter Jackson's early shlock horror films being perhaps is most fun stuff (Braindead especially) although are you including the films The Frighteners (Michael J Fox) and Heavenly Creatures as well? Of his later films They Shall Not Grow Old is an essential educational film about WW1 (the so called Great War). Technical masterpiece.

I was in the same school (junior and senior) as Stephen Moyer (year below) and we were quite good friends in our early teens - he used to come round and play snooker on my 5 foot by 2 and a half foot table. He was always the lead in the school play/musical so it was no surprise that he went into acting - he’s done ok! I still haven’t watched True Blood - DVDs are sitting in the cupboard🙄

Wow that's amazing! Moyer recently acted in and directed some episodes of the Paramount TV series Sexy Beast. Like his work on that a lot.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 13:39
Deutschland!

band (West Germany): Boney M
band (DDR): Stern Combo Meissen
band (post-Berlin wall): early Rammstein
album (West Germany): Anyone's Daughter - Adonis
album (DDR): Uve Shikora's Gewitter - s/t
album (post-Berlin wall): Argos - The Other Life
TV show (West Germany): N/A
TV show (DDR): N/A
TV show (post-Berlin wall): Tabaluga
film (West Germany): Aguirre
film (DDR): N/A
film (post-Berlin wall): Manitu's Shoe
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 13:36

The United States Of America

Band - Kansas
Solo Artist - Neil Young
Album - The Tubes by The Tubes
TV Show - NYPD Blue
Film - The French Connection
Director - Francis Ford Coppola
Actor - Al Pacino
I have met Canadian actor Currie Graham, who played in NYPD Blue; he went to the same high school as I did in Prescott, Ontario, Canada, and I also met and knew his father a little, who was a high school principal in the area. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 13:22
I really love playing and watching snooker.

Finland

Band: Pekka Pohjola
Album: Haikara - Haikara
Composer: Jean Sibelius
Director/Screenwriter: Aki Kaurismäki
Film: Frozen Land
Series: Raid
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 02:49

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 02:45
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I regret not adding songs to my lists (something I commonly like to focus on). I jut listened to the Spell, good stuff. I actually had checked out this band before because I enjoy metal with folk, doom, and goth qualities (as well as post-metal, stoner, sludge...)

-------------------------------------------

Now the might land of the Maori

New Zealand

Band: Split Enz
Album: Connan Mockasin - Please Turn Me Into the Snat (2010)
Song: "Please Turn Me Into the Snat"
Director: Peter Jackson (for his pre-Lord of the Rings work)
Film: Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
Actor: Sam Neill
TV Show: Top of the Lake (2013-2017)
Fat Flightless Parrot: Kakapo

New Cellar Darling album due this year hopefully….
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 00:49
Australia

Band: Unitopia
Album: Anastasis by Dead Can Dance 
Solo Artist (Male): Sebastian Hardie
Solo Artist (Female): Olivia Newton John
Film: Dead Calm
TV Show: Prisoner Cell Block H
Actor: Mel Gibson
Actress: Nicole Kidman

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 24 2024 at 14:41
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 00:36

Top of the Lake is great.

Split Enz True Colours was the first tape I heard on a Sony Walkman when I was, I think, 10. I like the 70s albums, which I heard much later. Doesn't seem to get as much notice (at least that I have seen as the debut, let alone Colours) but I like the second album, Second Thoughts very much. At times the music can sound quite like Bowie meets Cardiacs (that Zolo circus sound meets that Art Pop-Rock Bowie sound).

My favourite Peter Jackson directed film is Heavenly Creatures, which is the first film of his I saw (watched it first with my then girlfriend now wife when working in Japan in the 90s). I do like Braindead a lot and found Bad Taste fun. I should watch The Frighteners again (didn't give it a proper watch before).

Edited by Logan - April 24 2024 at 00:41
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 23:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>