Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In The Wake Of Poseidon. A Discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In The Wake Of Poseidon. A Discussion.
    Posted: April 15 2024 at 03:31
Prompted by Paul's 5 KC song thread, I've always felt that the album, while not as strong as it's predecessor, has many many positives, such the stunning title track, Keith Tippet's jazzy piano on many songs, and the fact that the band carried on after losing two key members. Your thoughts.

Edited by SteveG - April 15 2024 at 03:32
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 04:32
My favourite King Crimson albums have always been the early ones, and "In the Wake of Poseidon" is an amazing trip for me. Prog pundits have often criticised the album, calling it a clone of their debut, but I think "In the Wake of Poseidon" has its own unique personality and some amazing King Crimson musical moments. "Cadence and Cascade" is still, in my opinion, one of the most reminiscent and delicate melodies ever written in our beloved genre. One of my all-time favourite King Crimson songs is the title tune, "In the Wake of Poseidon." Greg Lake as singer was fantastic in King Crimson, as can be heard in "Pictures of a City," which is a great song as well.
It features a tonne of mellotrons as well as some elaborate melodic moments. Pete Sinfield's ethereal ideas from "In the Wake of Poseidon" will forever remind true dreamers that the early phase of King Crimson was and remains its best.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 07:24
Excellent album, "Cat Food", Devils Triangle" and "Pictures of a City" are all favorites.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 07:53
Hi,

I'll make a point of listening to it ... hardly remember the album!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 08:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'll make a point of listening to it ... hardly remember the album!
  O'tay panky.

Edited by SteveG - April 15 2024 at 09:54
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 09:32
It's one of my favourites. I have returned to it more than In the Court of the Crimson King.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 11:15
I wrote a short review of this one a long time ago. Praised it a bunch. Been praising it for 55 years.  This and Lizard being my favorites.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 11:22
I like it, especially what was originally Side 1.

Edited by Boojieboy - April 15 2024 at 11:24
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 12:14
An album that more than holds its own against ITCOTCC!

Unfairly under appreciated!

Mirror image (say what have you), its musical contents are just as good if not better

Love the peace themes, Pictures - what a banger! Cadence is one of the most beautiful songs I ever heard! Title track is one of their best! Cat Food is a snarky little oddball, but great. Devil's Triangle drags just a bit, but I quite like it. 

Need I say more??
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 15:54
Excellent LP
Fav tracks :
ITWoP, Cat food, Devil's triangle, Pictures of a city
it receives regular listenings
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 16:18
I always appreciated this album. For many years I remained curious as to exactly how King Crimson's second album would have sounded like if McDonald and Giles had stayed with the group.

I recall being obsessed with making comparisons and actually making cassette tapes which combined tracks from McDonald and Giles with In The Wake Of Poseidon. What boosted me to go that far? It was the fact that several songs on McDonald and Giles had been written while King Crimson were on tour in 1969. Which reveals that some of those songs would have been included on King Crimson's second album had McDonald and Giles stayed.

I was curious how the Birdman Suite would have fit the flow of the album. An excerpt from Birdman Suite was actually a song titled Trees that King Crimson had played on the 69' tour. I recall reading in a Rock magazine ...in another lifetime..that Greg Lake had written Lucky Man while in King Crimson...so I used to imagine how that would have altered the situation.

To think that King Crimson's second album could have been emotionally different than what we know as In The Wake Of Poseidon is unusual and rare to occur in Prog history. It's telling that much of the material written for King Crimson...and of course written prior to any of the members deciding to leave ...surfaced on other albums in 1970. The reality of that always left me baffled about the outcome if the original band had stayed together. Aside from all that obsession I still like In The Wake Of Poseidon for what it is or what we know it to be and I still occasionally give it a spin...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 17:59
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I always appreciated this album. For many years I remained curious as to exactly how King Crimson's second album would have sounded like if McDonald and Giles had stayed with the group.

I recall being obsessed with making comparisons and actually making cassette tapes which combined tracks from McDonald and Giles with In The Wake Of Poseidon. What boosted me to go that far? It was the fact that several songs on McDonald and Giles had been written while King Crimson were on tour in 1969. Which reveals that some of those songs would have been included on King Crimson's second album had McDonald and Giles stayed.

I was curious how the Birdman Suite would have fit the flow of the album. An excerpt from Birdman Suite was actually a song titled Trees that King Crimson had played on the 69' tour. I recall reading in a Rock magazine ...in another lifetime..that Greg Lake had written Lucky Man while in King Crimson...so I used to imagine how that would have altered the situation.

To think that King Crimson's second album could have been emotionally different than what we know as In The Wake Of Poseidon is unusual and rare to occur in Prog history. It's telling that much of the material written for King Crimson...and of course written prior to any of the members deciding to leave ...surfaced on other albums in 1970. The reality of that always left me baffled about the outcome if the original band had stayed together. Aside from all that obsession I still like In The Wake Of Poseidon for what it is or what we know it to be and I still occasionally give it a spin...
The McDonald And Giles album is as much of an enigma as them leaving the band. Done simply as an exercise to give vent to leftover KC songs, it lacks both a strong vocalist and guitarist and suffers for it. And they never even toured to promote it. I can only surmise that their leaving the band was some kind of bohemian hubris. "We're geniuses and don't need KC to survive. Thank you". Or feelings to that effect.

Edited by SteveG - April 15 2024 at 18:05
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 19:01
^ One of the main reasons they left is they didn't want to tour anymore.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 19:25
.[/QUOTE] The McDonald And Giles album is as much of an enigma as them leaving the band. Done simply as an exercise to give vent to leftover KC songs, it lacks both a strong vocalist and guitarist and suffers for it. And they never even toured to promote it. I can only surmise that their leaving the band was some kind of bohemian hubris. "We're geniuses and don't need KC to survive. Thank you". Or feelings to that effect.[/QUOTE]

I agree . The vocals are not strong and there's not much guitar playing that is impressive. If they had recorded that material with Fripp and Lake it's possible that it would have been greater. Well...maybe?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 22:57
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Thanks for that, John. It's kind of ironic as I'm sure that McDonald did non stop touring during his tenure with Foreigner. Lack of funds must have been a good motivator. Lol.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 23:51
I love every second of In the Wake of Poseidon - and the McDonald & Giles-Lp too. I really like the singing on the latter album. And I'm far too busy enjoying the drumming and basslines to miss any "impressive guitarplaying". It was a wonderful bonus discovering it a decade or two later, and I'm just happy that these two albums exist in the versions they do. 

-but I can understand that those of you who were alive - or rather a young person, in 1970 - experienced Crimson's second outing differntly. Me, I first heard/bought In the Court... and in some strange way it felt like coming home. Lifechanging. As soon as I could afford more albums Lizard and In the Wake of Poseidon were to follow on the same day I think. I noticed strong similarities as well as huge differences. To me they offered a perfect mix of familiar and new. Did I welcome a couple more songs in the style of the best music I had ever heard? Yes, please. Did I welcome something unexpected and new? Yes of course. For me "The Devil's Triangle" opened musical portals in my mind in similar ways as the "Lizard-suite" did (like their debut had done before). I simply immersed myself in all this fantastic music from the near past, which felt more exiting than everything I had heard up till then. No questions asked, no what if's. Just: Where have you been all my life? I think Red was next and (needless to say) for a while there KC were my one favorite band. They're still a favorite of mine and will always be, but I have so many.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 16 2024 at 01:54
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 03:00
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I love every second of In the Wake of Poseidon - and the McDonald & Giles-Lp too. I really like the singing on the latter album. And I'm far too busy enjoying the drumming and basslines to miss any "impressive guitarplaying". It was a wonderful bonus discovering it a decade or two later, and I'm just happy that these two albums exist in the versions they do. 

-but I can understand that those of you who were alive - or rather a young person, in 1970 - experienced Crimson's second outing differntly. Me, I first heard/bought In the Court... and in some strange way it felt like coming home. Lifechanging. As soon as I could afford more albums Lizard and In the Wake of Poseidon were to follow on the same day I think. I noticed strong similarities as well as huge differences. To me they offered a perfect mix of familiar and new. Did I welcome a couple more songs in the style of the best music I had ever heard? Yes, please. Did I welcome something unexpected and new? Yes of course. For me "The Devil's Triangle" opened musical portals in my mind in similar ways as the "Lizard-suite" did (like their debut had done before). I simply immersed myself in all this fantastic music from the near past, which felt more exiting than everything I had heard up till then. No questions asked, no what if's. Just: Where have you been all my life? I think Red was next and (needless to say) for a while there KC were my one favorite band. They're still a favorite of mine and will always be, but I have so many.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 03:04
I can't imagine Crimson's discography without Wake, but it's probably one of their least useful albums; though it has many charms, if not considering the historical context and issues and not compared to its predecessor (Court).

Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I like it, especially what was originally Side 1.

well to be honest, I don't find Wake's A-side as particularly originalWink: it's more of a carbon copy (ancestor of a Xerox photocopy) of the A-side of Court. 
Picture = Schizoid
Cadence = Wind
Poseidon = Epitaph

The B-side is more interesting, because of the excellent Cat Food , but the Holtz cover is not that great either. As for this Peace interludes, they're forgettable, outside the fact that they're the first real solely Fripp compositions. 
Indeed since all three major tracks on the A-side are rewriting of Court's A-side (and Fripp doesn't have a writing credit in those - look it up on the first pressings of ITCOTCK >> revisionism from Fripp happened),  and for the flipside, Cat Food and Mars: Bringer Of War rewriting should not bear Fripp's name either.

Actually, it's much more than that, IMHO.

The ITCOTCK  rockumentary DVD of two years ago shows  that there were major disagreements  and tensions in that original line-up, not just two guys not wanting to tour anymore and another going to ELP.

At about midway through the film (29 minutes mark), Jakko talks of someone being an "ultimate cłnt" in the original line-up and Fripp agrees wholeheartedly, but they name no-one; thus leaving us whether it is Greg, Peter, Michael or Ian.
However, the next image shows Peter Giles not in a particularly good mood entering the rockumentary for the first time, thus pointing the finger on him - which should come a bit as a surprise, since most of us would've guessed that either Peter (given the major dissent between him and Fripp) or Greg (his overly narcissism and egotism) might've been El c**to Maximo. Greg not being alive anymore (no possible defense), Sinfield and Ian appearing the first time some few minutes later than Michael, thus leaving him (MG) as the obvious/prime suspect in "c**tosity". Ian will actually tearfully apologize to Fripp in the film for not continuing in the band, and Peter seems totally untouched by the accusation (not sure any of them suspects were aware of the accusation at the time of shooting the footage). In any case, Giles is unable to answer (since not aware) and made look like an arsehole (next to the "cłnt") in the film, so one guess that the ill-tempers are still alive nowadays with Fripp.

What amazed me at first is that why Jakko was asked and leave that passage in the rockumentary, if not intended to take a very cheap shot at Giles (not the rigid Peter on bass), if Fripp wasn't precisely intending on it. Jakko is/was married to Giles' daughter and there were major disagreements and fights (this bled into the Schizoid Band - where Jakko forced Giles to be ousted), to the point that Michael did not see his grandchildren for decades - maybe that plight is over since the daughter is now divorced from Jakko. So we now know why Jakko has an egg to peel with Giles, but Fripp obviously let it out in the open.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 03:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Actually, it's much more than that, IMHO.

The ITCOTCK  rockumentary DVD of two years ago shows  that there were major disagreements  and tensions in that original line-up, not just two guys not wanting to tour anymore and another going to ELP.

At about midway through the film (29 minutes mark), Jakko talks of someone being an "ultimate cłnt" in the original line-up and Fripp agrees wholeheartedly, but they name no-one; thus leaving us whether it is Greg, Peter, Michael or Ian.
However, the next image shows Peter Giles not in a particularly good mood entering the rockumentary for the first time, thus pointing the finger on him - which should come a bit as a surprise, since most of us would've guessed that either Peter (given the major dissent between him and Fripp) or Greg (his overly narcissism and egotism) might've been El c**to Maximo. Greg not being alive anymore (no possible defense), Sinfield and Ian appearing the first time some few minutes later than Michael, thus leaving him (MG) as the obvious/prime suspect in "c**tosity". Ian will actually tearfully apologize to Fripp in the film for not continuing in the band, and Peter seems totally untouched by the accusation (not sure any of them suspects were aware of the accusation at the time of shooting the footage). In any case, Giles is unable to answer (since not aware) and made look like an arsehole (next to the "cłnt") in the film, so one guess that the ill-tempers are still alive nowadays with Fripp.

What amazed me at first is that why Jakko was asked and leave that passage in the rockumentary, if not intended to take a very cheap shot at Giles (not the rigid Peter on bass), if Fripp wasn't precisely intending on it. Jakko is/was married to Giles' daughter and there were major disagreements and fights (this bled into the Schizoid Band - where Jakko forced Giles to be ousted), to the point that Michael did not see his grandchildren for decades - maybe that plight is over since the daughter is now divorced from Jakko. So we now know why Jakko has an egg to peel with Giles, but Fripp obviously let it out in the open.

It seems that old wounds die hard, unfortunately. Very interesting though.

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2024 at 03:35
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 03:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It seems that old wounds die hard, unfortunately. Very interesting though.

probably my fave Hammill track, but not sure it works when too deep

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>