Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In The Wake Of Poseidon. A Discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 02:35
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Prompted by Paul's 5 KC song thread, I've always felt that the album, while not as strong as it's predecessor, has many many positives, such the stunning title track, Keith Tippet's jazzy piano on many songs, and the fact that the band carried on after losing two key members. Your thoughts.

Dang Steve!!! Clap Thanks for this post, I can't remember the last time I spun this record and will for sure add to the Friday night play list once my work day ends.
It's not my fav KC album, but for sure it is a trippy listen.....Luv me some Cat Food.
You're welcome, Jose. I've had it on heavy rotation since "rediscovering" it about a week ago.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 09:01

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

More interesting info to ponder over. Adds a lot to the KC history.

Hi,

The KC film has some information on this, and Robert makes it clear that has regrets about how it happened.

As for the album, I don't know ... just heard it again, and did not find it to have the importance and the creative forces that were present in the first album ... my take is, sort of, that they had already said all there was to say about the time and the place, and now ... what do we do? A half hearted return to the original appeared as the opening and closing of the album. In between? Not sure it was as important and clear. 

I fell out of KC during this time, as the imports from Europe were better and more valuable all around, and were quite far and away more original and very strong. And its history ended up giving us TD, KS, Can, AD2 and many others ... whose legacy is amazing. 

I returned to KC with Lark's ... when Bill Bruford joined KC ... somehow I thought that would be interesting, and it was ... massive set of albums coming up! However, by that time, I was already invested in the European scene, and in general, only PF and KC remained in my plate, as Genesis was nice, but not as adventurous and strong as Banco, Ange, PFM and the Germans for me, in those days.
Fair enough. People sometimes move on.

Rarely do I see these bands mentioned on Prog Rock websites. I see reviews posted years ago...however it wouldn't appear that bands like Ange, Pulsar, PFM, Halloween, Amon Duul II are relevant to many people. Even a band like Goblin are rarely mentioned which is really sad because the 2 versions of Goblin that released new music over the last 10 years are magnificent. Instead Goblin end up performing in Philadelphia last winter in some hole in the wall book store. The band CAN are talk about more because of a CAN resurgence in younger generations...however it's unfortunate that several great German bands are dismissed as being insignificant to people's lives..
I don't understand any of this. If I had the money to sponsor a Prog festival of these bands in America...tickets would not sell. Figure that one out. I guess people are blindfolded and have crap in their ears and minds?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 09:08
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Hi,

The KC film has some information on this, and Robert makes it clear that has regrets about how it happened.

As for the album, I don't know ... just heard it again, and did not find it to have the importance and the creative forces that were present in the first album ... my take is, sort of, that they had already said all there was to say about the time and the place, and now ... what do we do? A half hearted return to the original appeared as the opening and closing of the album. In between? Not sure it was as important and clear. 

I fell out of KC during this time, as the imports from Europe were better and more valuable all around, and were quite far and away more original and very strong. And its history ended up giving us TD, KS, Can, AD2 and many others ... whose legacy is amazing. 

I returned to KC with Lark's ... when Bill Bruford joined KC ... somehow I thought that would be interesting, and it was ... massive set of albums coming up! However, by that time, I was already invested in the European scene, and in general, only PF and KC remained in my plate, as Genesis was nice, but not as adventurous and strong as Banco, Ange, PFM and the Germans for me, in those days.

Rarely do I see these bands mentioned on Prog Rock websites. I see reviews posted years ago...however it wouldn't appear that bands like Ange, Pulsar, PFM, Halloween, Amon Duul II are relevant to many people. Even a band like Goblin are rarely mentioned which is really sad because the 2 versions of Goblin that released new music over the last 10 years are magnificent. Instead Goblin end up performing in Philadelphia last winter in some hole in the wall book store. The band CAN are talk about more because of a CAN resurgence in younger generations...however it's unfortunate that several great German bands are dismissed as being insignificant to people's lives..
I don't understand any of this. If I had the money to sponsor a Prog festival of these bands in America...tickets would not sell. Figure that one out. I guess people are blindfolded and have crap in their ears and minds?
Try posting some German band albums here. At least Moshkito will respond.

Edited by SteveG - April 18 2024 at 09:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 09:36

Hi,

Try posting some German band albums here. At least Moshkito will respond.

That's true and his knowledge on European bands is much wider and informative than I...but it's strange to me how he seems like the only person on the internet responding to Popol Vuh with enthusiasm. Not to say that other people haven't acknowledged Popol Vuh..but Moshkito responds to Popol Vuh in the same light that a few of my friends did in the 70s. Why would it be any different now? Why wouldn't Americans find the German bands fascinating? If a person grew up listening to Progressive Rock in the 70s and they were to surf the internet for reaction it would seem like a dead zone. Possibly it just seems that way and it isnt...however I rarely see a youtube video on the history of Popol Vuh let alone an album ranking of their discography and that's a letdown. A couple of people have discussed Omega, Ange, and Jade Warrior on youtube..but it's mostly people discussing Genesis, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, etc... In 2024 I'm now realizing this might be true..
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 11:44
I'm of the opinion that the first two albums were a conglomeration of songs that were all in the can at the release of ITCotCK.  I feel like they picked what they thought was best for the Debut album and what they didn't choose is on the second (Poseidon).  All the songs have an eerily similar "creative timeline vibe". 

It Would have passed as, and made, a killer double album nowadays, but in 69 too much material for a debut.  Just conjecture but.... Maybe.

Am I stating the obvious?

Edited by Valdez1 - April 18 2024 at 14:55
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 20:39

Prompted by Paul's 5 KC song thread, I've always felt that the album, while not as strong as it's predecessor, has many many positives, such the stunning title track, Keith Tippet's jazzy piano on many songs, and the fact that the band carried on after losing two key members. Your thoughts.

Dang Steve!!! Clap Thanks for this post, I can't remember the last time I spun this record and will for sure add to the Friday night play list once my work day ends.
It's not my fav KC album, but for sure it is a trippy listen.....Luv me some Cat Food.
You're welcome, Jose. I've had it on heavy rotation since "rediscovering" it about a week ago.
Not sure I'll subscribe to the heavy rotation plan LOL, but I'll give a very intense listen....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 21:45

Hi,

You can imagine how I feel since 1972 or so when I started with what is now known as "progressive".

I, however, can not complaint much ... saw Nektar in their first 2 tours ... Tangerine Dream in their first 2 tours and later twice more ... Gong which I kinda travelled with and took many pictures, some of which they used for at least one poster and tour ... Hawkwind in the original Space Ritual ... Man in LA with Hawkwind (2nd time -- 1999 Party) ... Pink Floyd 4 times in 1972 at the Hollywood Bowl in their heyday of Quadraphonic Sound ... then original DSOTM and then the Anaheim Stadium with the really bad fans, and Roger getting mad ... and finally The Wall tour in LA where 714 people got busted outside before going in for getting stoned, and the cops walking around the hall during the show and taking more people out ... totally fudged and ridiculous ... yeah ... I've seen some nice things, including KC in Seattle with the 3 drummers, and my only "regret" is that I will never see PH/VdGG, and I wish I had been able to catch Vangelis.

But all in all, Damo's band in a bar, was a sad affair, good but sad ... I did not feel the band was that good or knew how to improvise, beyond some chord structures and progressions ... other than that spending time with Daevid and Gilly was enough for me ... some really strong friends and shared a lot of fun stuff ... and no dope! 

As for the progressive thing, I think the last 20 years has been sad, specially as some of the venues that were running progressive things got tired and died, and in 1999 Sean Ahearn took a massive loss in SF for the festival that needed twice as many folks to just break even.

My thoughts are that places like PA help some, but the "fans" not posting to new bands and works, is really sad, and I guess I wish the collaborators and admins posted more on the different stuff and less on the favorite bullmerde ... but that's my thought ... and they are still doing, likely too much for no pay as it is ... but I think of is as a closed circle that won't add folks that mean it and certainly write good stuff and reviews of a lot of work ... cold day in hell they will even think about me as a person for krautrock, for example, being that I am one of the few that discusses the whole thing as an art scene instead of just some rock bands ... 

I think that people in the know are not doing enough, but I don't think it fair of me to suggest they don't do enough work ... but adding a few people that make a difference i words, might help and add some value to "progressive" instead of folks not caring much and only finding a reason to not say anything.

It's tough and the media, in general is not helping, but then art scenes are something that come and go ... as T. S. Eliot would say ... and few people care about the arts in America!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 05:59

Not sure I'll subscribe to the heavy rotation plan LOL, but I'll give a very intense listen....
Never say never, Jose! LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 07:19

and his knowledge on European bands is much wider and informative than I...but it's strange to me how he seems like the only person on the internet responding to Popol Vuh with enthusiasm. Not to say that other people haven't acknowledged Popol Vuh..but Moshkito responds to Popol Vuh in the same light that a few of my friends did in the 70s. Why would it be any different now? Why wouldn't Americans find the German bands fascinating? If a person grew up listening to Progressive Rock in the 70s and they were to surf the internet for reaction it would seem like a dead zone. Possibly it just seems that way and it isn't ... however I rarely see a youtube video on the history of Popol Vuh let alone an album ranking of their discography and that's a letdown. A couple of people have discussed Omega, Ange, and Jade Warrior on youtube..but it's mostly people discussing Genesis, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, etc... In 2024 I'm now realizing this might be true..

Hi,

A lot of this reminds me of a day on the air for Guy Guden, and he was playing a long cut ... and in the middle of it, another DJ interrupted the song and said ... "it's not rock'n'roll" ... Guy immediately slowed the song down to a stop ... and said ... "who cares" ... and restarted up the piece. 

The irony of ironies is that the song was ... are you ready? "Are You Receiving Me?" by Golden Earring ... 

It's really hard to not think that some folks are only replying so they can be noticed. I reply to the posts, not to be noticed. As I said before, I'm into it for the music ... not the fan'ego that says I know more than the bands do, and I demand they play this or that song in concert. I liked it, when Edgar Froese stopped a concert and demanded a fan be taken out ... and in many ways, after DSOTM, the new PF fans, were the ones shouting "rock'n'roll" and not giving a darn about the music. Years earlier at the Hollywood Bowl you could hear a pin drop on the ground or maybe it was the sound of the speakers going around the whole place in their Quadraphonic sound show ... 

There is a huge difference ... and while I do not enjoy making comments about any specific member, I do think that more could be done for the music itself, not the commercial/propaganda aspect of it all ... my huge concern with the monthly numbers? Many bands and titles get lost in the shuffle, and less and less comments are made on them ... with the exception of the known stuff.

On a place that is about "Progressive Music" no less. 

But you got to remember that I love the "krautrock" thing more than others because I am very aware of the film, theater and the other arts at the time ... and this is the part of the music (I call it the soul) ... that is important and makes the German stuff valuable ... it's not just a favorite thing ... it's an artistic scene that deserves more than just thought of as rock music. 

IN all honesty, and I like KC a lot, the album in question did not have the strong value and imagination of the first album. The "snapshots" of the time and place was lost ... and it might not have been RF's idea, either, which makes the folks that left more important all along!

Edited by moshkito - April 19 2024 at 07:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 17:06

I find several songs to be too derivative of the original album. I do like the "Peace" trilogy and "Cat Food", but overall this release seems to be a lull between Itchycock and Lizard, which I consider far better albums. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:27
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I find several songs to be too derivative of the original album. I do like the "Peace" trilogy and "Cat Food", but overall this release seems to be a lull between Itchycock and Lizard, which I consider far better albums. 

Just about the way I see it too. Most of the album has the same structure with equivalent songs from the debut, yet all of them are better on their original counterparts. That said, In The Wake of Poseidton itself is a gorgeous song in its own right.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:32
Sonically though the original album is lacking and bit 'weedy' which I think is the reason I virtually never listen to it anymore. Very pretty and very important but Fripp seemed to be looking for a heavier approach maybe.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 03:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I find several songs to be too derivative of the original album. I do like the "Peace" trilogy and "Cat Food", but overall this release seems to be a lull between Itchycock (>> the c**t was maybe infected, too ) and Lizard, which I consider far better albums. 
Just about the way I see it too. Most of the album has the same structure with equivalent songs from the debut, yet all of them are better on their original counterparts. That said, In The Wake of Poseidton itself is a gorgeous song in its own right.

Yup, of all their 70's albums, Wake is the one I spin the least, including Earthbound and USA; second lest is SaBB.

Not a bad album per se, but Crimson's weakest, IMHO - though it's got plenty of attenuating circumstances.

But Lizard also had its own very difficult context and background, but it's sooooo much better (and groundbreaking)

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Sonically though the original album is lacking and bit 'weedy' which I think is the reason I virtually never listen to it anymore. Very pretty and very important but Fripp seemed to be looking for a heavier approach maybe.

I'm not sure Frippy was already in control (artistic or humanly) of the band at that point (the recording of Wake) to decide that much (if that's what you meant). That wouldn't happen (IMHO) until Lizard was in the 

To me, it's a surprise at all that Islands was released at all by Island.  Stern Smile I can only make an analogy (no intentional pun meant hereWink) with Renaissance's second album Illusion (also on Island), where the band was in a similar tantrum and the album was only released in Germany.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 20 2024 at 03:26
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 04:08

No doubt that the album follows somewhat of the same template of ITCOTCK, but what annoyed me about that years ago I now find as a virtue. It's the only KC album that's in the same style as ITCOTCK, which was magnificent. I'm glad that they stretched out with Lizard and beyond, but that original style is priceless, imho.

Edited by SteveG - April 20 2024 at 04:20
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 07:05

No doubt that the album follows somewhat of the same template of ITCOTCK, but what annoyed me about that years ago I now find as a virtue. It's the only KC album that's in the same style as ITCOTCK, which was magnificent. I'm glad that they stretched out with Lizard and beyond, but that original style is priceless, imho.
I know and hear the reasons some people dismiss KC's second outing. But I'm rarely bothered by such things. 1001° Centigrades could easily have been the E and F-side on Magma's debut, Virtually I-VI from Soft Machine Fourth might have been a fifth side on Third... and I love them for it. NEU! 2's Für immer is basically Hallogallo over again (with a new melody) but no less hypnotic, and no less gorgeous. I love Guapo's Five Suns 1-5 and Black Oni 1-5 equally... I could go on, but I'm not going to. To create and finish a work or art you have to sacrify potenial, other directions that you might have taken the piece in question. That's why artists sometimes need to revisit a place or territory where they've already been once - or maybe even several times, before. I wouldn't hold against Van Gogh that he painted a whole series of sunflower-paintings. Although some of them are really similar. If I like them I like them. His sixth version might as well be my favorite over the very first. For me it's usually as simple as that.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 20 2024 at 07:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 14:42

Hi,

You can imagine how I feel since 1972 or so when I started with what is now known as "progressive".

I, however, can not complaint much ... saw Nektar in their first 2 tours ... Tangerine Dream in their first 2 tours and later twice more ... Gong which I kinda travelled with and took many pictures, some of which they used for at least one poster and tour ... Hawkwind in the original Space Ritual ... Man in LA with Hawkwind (2nd time -- 1999 Party) ... Pink Floyd 4 times in 1972 at the Hollywood Bowl in their heyday of Quadraphonic Sound ... then original DSOTM and then the Anaheim Stadium with the really bad fans, and Roger getting mad ... and finally The Wall tour in LA where 714 people got busted outside before going in for getting stoned, and the cops walking around the hall during the show and taking more people out ... totally fudged and ridiculous ... yeah ... I've seen some nice things, including KC in Seattle with the 3 drummers, and my only "regret" is that I will never see PH/VdGG, and I wish I had been able to catch Vangelis.

But all in all, Damo's band in a bar, was a sad affair, good but sad ... I did not feel the band was that good or knew how to improvise, beyond some chord structures and progressions ... other than that spending time with Daevid and Gilly was enough for me ... some really strong friends and shared a lot of fun stuff ... and no dope! 

As for the progressive thing, I think the last 20 years has been sad, specially as some of the venues that were running progressive things got tired and died, and in 1999 Sean Ahearn took a massive loss in SF for the festival that needed twice as many folks to just break even.

My thoughts are that places like PA help some, but the "fans" not posting to new bands and works, is really sad, and I guess I wish the collaborators and admins posted more on the different stuff and less on the favorite bullmerde ... but that's my thought ... and they are still doing, likely too much for no pay as it is ... but I think of is as a closed circle that won't add folks that mean it and certainly write good stuff and reviews of a lot of work ... cold day in hell they will even think about me as a person for krautrock, for example, being that I am one of the few that discusses the whole thing as an art scene instead of just some rock bands ... 

I think that people in the know are not doing enough, but I don't think it fair of me to suggest they don't do enough work ... but adding a few people that make a difference i words, might help and add some value to "progressive" instead of folks not caring much and only finding a reason to not say anything.

It's tough and the media, in general is not helping, but then art scenes are something that come and go ... as T. S. Eliot would say ... and few people care about the arts in America!

That's incredibly interesting! I can't imagine being around Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth that's overwhelming.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123