Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swans - 4/14/24 - The Broadberry - Richmond, VA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swans - 4/14/24 - The Broadberry - Richmond, VA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swans - 4/14/24 - The Broadberry - Richmond, VA
    Posted: April 15 2024 at 06:12

My first time seeing Swans and it was a great experience. A sold-out show at the Broadberry, which has a capacity of about 500.

It wasn't packed in. I stood about a third of the way froKristolo the front of the stage. I am getting to the point where standing for a show is rough on my feet. I got out of my at 7:35 and got back in at 11:30. Four hours is about my limit.

The doors opened at 7. And promptly at 8, Kristof Hahn opened with a solo set on the lap steel guitar. He started with an instrumental. After one song, an audience member asked what the song was about (it was sung in German), and I think Hahn replied it was about his mother's funeral. He concluded with another song about his mother, instead of the piece he had planned.

Swans took the stage and started right at 9. The intro number was about 25-30 minutes and then an extended version of the Beggar for a total of 76 minutes to open the show. Michael Gira played mostly seated, but would get up at times to "conduct" the band, wildly flailing his arm and gesturing.

It was loud. I had packed earplugs but had lost one. Fortunately, the venue offered free pairs at the bar. At times, I could feel the music vibrating off my skin. The music would swing from quiet, sparse moments to an intense, layered wall of sound.

The same setlist is played on this tour and after The Beggar, was the Hanging Man, followed by the new tracks that will be on the next album. Altogether, Swans played for 2 hours and 2 minutes. Gira was engaged and animated throughout the show.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 17:22
Thanks for the commentary. Much as I really like Swans, the thought of being at one their ear-blistering concerts would concern me. I don't like having to wear ear plugs, and do wish they would turn the volume down to fairly safe, non-painful levels. Even at a Magma show where I had not expected it to be really loud it was way too loud for me. I know Gira does some unplugged stuff, but I do still want that wall of sound and huge crescendos that Swans is known for, so I'll deal with really loud(and use ear-plugs) if I get the chance to see Swans. *currently listening to the re-mastered The Great Annihilator -- great album imo*
Just a fanboy passin' through.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 06:12
^During the intro number, I noticed a couple against the wall with their hands pressed against theirs, visibly uncomfortable. During a quiet moment, a woman came up to them with a bag of earplugs and offered them some. They looked so thankful.
 Post Reply Post Reply