Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for recommendations
    Posted: April 20 2024 at 04:25
Hi,
I am looking for some recommendations.  I am going to list the bands that I absolutely love and never tire of.  The big problem I have is that I dislike 95% of the prog that I hear, so I always feel like I am trying to find some hidden gems.  If anyone can discern a pattern here and make some recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, if the band isn't relatively obscure, odds are I will have heard them before.  Steven Wilson, Big Big Train, Izz, Karfagen - all the stuff at that level I would likely heard of before.  Also, I am not into prog metal.

Yes
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
The Flower Kings
Moon Safari
A.C.T (about as metalish as I would want to go - love these guys though - so melodic)
echolyn
Modest Midget
Madrigal - the 80s/90s band - On My Hands and Waiting...
Yezda Urfa
Ritual (Hemulic Volunatary Band much more than the others)
Hasse Froberg and Musical Companion
Magma - I love the live album from 1975 but haven't gotten into their other stuff as much.

I am sure I am missing a few, but those are the main ones. I also like Fetish from Seven Steps to the Green Door but not the other stuff I have heard so much.  Also, for non-prog, I am a huge Steely Dan fan. I like some of The Tangent but not at the level of the bands above. Ditto Transatlantic (Love Roine but I am not a Neal Morse fan).

Edited by Rick67 - April 20 2024 at 04:28
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 05:32
Here are some obscure ones to try. There is much out there, you just have to find it. Good luck.

Wippy Bonstack
Thieves' Kitchen
Rubber Tea
Frogg Cafe
Eyeless Owl
Mike Keneally

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 20 2024 at 05:52
Rick67 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 06:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Here are some obscure ones to try. There is much out there, you just have to find it. Good luck.

Wippy Bonstack
Thieves' Kitchen
Rubber Tea
Frogg Cafe
Eyeless Owl
Mike Keneally

I have only heard of Mike Keneally on this list, but I haven't really listened to him.  I just listened to the whole album 22 by Wippy Bonstack and loved it!  Thanks!  I am looking forward to listening to the others.  How do you find this stuff?  I occasionally just click on random bands that are listed here on this site and listen to them, but that has a really high miss rate for me. So do most of album rankings.  A few other notable omissions from my initial list are Anekdoten and Bubblemath.  I also like Cheeto's Magazine but not as much as some of the other bands.  Wippy Bonstack is right up my alley.  My post has already paid off!

Edited by Rick67 - April 20 2024 at 06:36
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 06:52
If you like Moon Safari and Roine/TFK, you're gonna love Tardigrade by Simon Says!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 07:00
Check out the band Empire, with Peter Banks

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 07:11
Wippy doesn't get much mention on PA. Glad you enjoyed! Check out Mike Keneally's song "Cornbread Crumb" on YouTube. It has a Steely Dan vibe to me. Keneally has a lot of weird stuff, I would recommend his album "Dancing" for newbies and then venture into his avant stuff.

Bubblemath is one of my favorites, you have good taste!

Do you like fusion? There is lots to recommend for that genre... Nova Collective, Panzerballett, Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, etc.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 07:19
I'd like to recommend two albums by The Worm Ouroboros, a non-English 'Canterburians' from Belarus.
They put out two albums, both of which are masterpieces of the contemporary 'Canterbury' genre. You can get both albums on Bandcamp. 

Rick67 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 08:21
I am listening to that Simon Says tune right now.  Sounds cool! It will take me a while to check all this stuff out.  I am glad I started the thread.
Rick67 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 08:27

Wippy doesn't get much mention on PA. Glad you enjoyed! Check out Mike Keneally's song "Cornbread Crumb" on YouTube. It has a Steely Dan vibe to me. Keneally has a lot of weird stuff, I would recommend his album "Dancing" for newbies and then venture into his avant stuff.

Bubblemath is one of my favorites, you have good taste!

Do you like fusion? There is lots to recommend for that genre... Nova Collective, Panzerballett, Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, etc.

I was a huge fusion fan years ago but transitioned more into a mainstream jazz guitarist a couple of decades ago (I play in a quartet).  These days, it's more Wes Montgomery, Pat Martino, Joe Pass, Monk, Coltrane, etc., for me.  Years ago, I used to listen to a ton of Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Dregs, Mike Stern, Scott Henderson, Kazumi Watanabe, Jeff Berlin, Fire Merchants, Jean Luc-Ponty, etc.  I still listen to some fusion occasionally, but my listening is mostly divided between prog and non-fusion jazz. Some classical thrown in every now and then too.  

Edited by Rick67 - April 20 2024 at 08:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 08:56
^Love Monk. Have you heard New York Stories Vol. 1 with Danny Gatton on guitar?

Welcome to the forums.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 09:29
The progressive rock genre tradition serves as the foundation for the contemporary band Napier's Bones' sound. Their primary emphasis lies in dramatic storytelling that resonates with modern audiences. Music with a strong emphasis on the present and hints of the past.
Since 2014, this quintessential English prog band has released seven albums, which should all be a rather good treat for enthusiasts of the genre and are available on Bandcamp. 

Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 12:21
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/album/the-princess-of-tisul

Edited by Valdez1 - April 20 2024 at 12:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 12:42
I don't know if you'd like it, but Birds and Buildings' Bantam to Behemoth was the first to comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ncyLV8cTuL-zrm_Bqams1P2ySG_dUbo2Q
Rick67 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 16:02

^Love Monk. Have you heard New York Stories Vol. 1 with Danny Gatton on guitar?

I have not heard that one!
Rick67 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 16:05
I don't think I have heard any of what has been posted here. I think I may have heard the birds and buildings album a while back, but that's it. I will have plenty to digest. I was on the forums here years ago, but my email address for that account is no longer valid, so I couldn't recover my password.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 16:11
Sorry I deleted my post because I realized most were too well known and you probably knew them already.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 20 2024 at 16:37
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 16:16
The Emerald Dawn is a band from St. Ives, Cornwall, in south-west England. The name of the band is a reference to an environmentalist-led revolt. They play enthralling and dramatic symphonic rock music. The progressive music internet radio stations have globally played The Emerald Dawn a lot, so they are not an unknown band in the circles of fans of the genre. They have released five albums since 2014. You can find all of their albums on Bandcamp, and I highly recommend them.

Rick67 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 13:46
I will definitely get to all of these recs.  I struck gold with Grumpyprogfan's Wippy Bonstack recommendation.  I want to digest those albums for a week or so before moving on.  They triggered the rare experience for me of hearing some new prog that I loved instantly. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 15:42
You have plenty of suggestions but Im a fan of Sanguine HUm...all their lps are good...a song from a newer one...they fall in the Canterbury school and they also have lps under the name Antique Seeking Nuns.

Edited by dr wu23 - April 21 2024 at 15:44
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 14:29
Since Gentle Giant was mentioned, I'd give a shout-out to Quebec's Opus-5: 1976's Contre-Courant, and 1977's Serieux Ou Pas.

Also some of the Gryphon albums (Red Queen to Gryphon Three, Raindance, Treason).

Edited by Boojieboy - April 22 2024 at 14:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>