Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Five progressive ROCK songs by Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which song do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [11.11%]
12 [33.33%]
16 [44.44%]
3 [8.33%]
1 [2.78%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 01:59
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Taxi Grab is the odd one out. A song about nothing in particular that stomps along without going anywhere. Fitting perhaps, but I just think it's an unmemorable tune from a period where Ian and his backing musicians had lost their early band groove
To be perfectly honest, I put "Taxi Grab" on the poll list precisely because it's an underrated song that comes from an amazing but criminally underrated one-LP rock opera. And that is a progressive rock song. Classic 'Rock,' with capital R and no 'roll', on the other hand, musically is just aggressively played, aphetamine-fueled R&B, as you can hear in songs like "My Generation" by The Who, "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones, and "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 07:05
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Classic 'Rock,' with capital R and no 'roll', on the other hand, musically is just aggressively played, aphetamine-fueled R&B, as you can hear in songs like "My Generation" by The Who, "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones, and "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks.
That to me is an extremely narrow way thinking what (classic) "Rock" is or can be - and a definition shared by very few. But I'm not going to spend time challenging it.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 07:07
A New Poll Yesterday Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 08:24
The title track to songs from the wood is the best (next to TAAB anyway) but you didn't list it. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 23 2024 at 08:25
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 09:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The title track to songs from the wood is the best (next to TAAB anyway) but you didn't list it. 
"No prog-folk songs in the Tull poll this time," I wrote in the opening post.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 09:34

Ok, well, I suppose we have a difference of opinion then. SftW might be folkish but it's still pure prog imo and more prog than anything on your list IMO. Ditto for TAAB and APP.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 09:45

Ok, well, I suppose we have a difference of opinion then. SftW might be folkish but it's still pure prog imo and more prog than anything on your list IMO. Ditto for TAAB and APP.
My idea for this poll was precisely to avoid their folk-rock and symphonic rock songs and to put only five progressive rock songs on the poll list. I thought that was clear.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 09:58

My idea for this poll was precisely to avoid their folk-rock and symphonic rock songs and to put only five progressive rock songs on the poll list. I thought that was clear.

The only thing that's clear is that you stated your OPINION just like I have mine. In case you didn't know prog incorporates folk as well as jazz, classical and other genres. Prog folk typically isn't complex like the SFTW title track. To designate it simply as folk or prog folk is a bit ridiculous imo. Aqualung and LB are classic rock/ hard rock and barely prog imo. And ANDY is just an extended blues rock number. Nothing really prog about it. But yeah I get it this is your list and your opinion. It's all good. Carry on.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 23 2024 at 09:59
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 10:16

The only thing that's clear is that you stated your OPINION just like I have mine. In case you didn't know prog incorporates folk as well as jazz, classical and other genres. Prog folk typically isn't complex like the SFTW title track. To designate it simply as folk or prog folk is a bit ridiculous imo. 
When Jethro Tull released "Songs from the Wood" in 1977, the term "prog-folk" was not yet in existence. That record and "Heavy Horses" were both categorised as folk-rock at the time. This is a historical truth, not my opinion. The term 'prog-folk' emerged much later, on the internet, and I'm guessing that "Songs from the Wood" had more of an influence on the term's coinage than, e.g., Tim Buckley.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 10:20
^ I'd never heard of Prog Folk either up until 2010 when I first discovered ProgArchives. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 00:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I'd never heard of Prog Folk either up until 2010 when I first discovered ProgArchives. Embarrassed

It's a subgenre on PA regardless of when the term was first used. It's actually more prog than other subgenres on here.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2024 at 00:12
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 01:02

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's a subgenre on PA regardless of when the term was first used. It's actually more prog than other subgenres on here.
You might be interested in this. From the 1977 review of "Songs from the Wood" in Sounds magazine: 

"Literary archetypes from pre-theatrical drama and local legend walk down the old straight track as Ian Anderson follows the keylines of Old English balladry with instruments and tunes to suit.

But unfortunately the whole affair sounds like the background music to TV's Robin Hood, the score of a movie like 'Tom Jones' or perhaps the lowlife themes from 'Barry Lyndon'. Shot in technicolor through gauze they may be, but they mean little or nothing alone.

Steeleye Span play the same game but they succeed because they have strong control over the authenticity of their material. And, at heart, Maddy P. and the boys are well aware that in its original form their music was never meant to be more than a form of community-based entertainment.

But on this album Ian Anderson sounds even more soulful and intense than usual. Sometimes he sounds as cloying as Cat Stevens. But he seems to have nothing to say to justify the emotional weight he's throwing about.

After the heavy leather bias of the last album Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll Too Young to Die it is hard to see Songs From The Wood as more than just a well-prepared exercise in style.

If Tommy Garrett and his Fifty Guitars can play Hawaiian and James Last can play the Beatles then Jethro Tull can turn to Traditional Folk."

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 20:03
I voted Aqualung, but TAAB and APP rule. Minstrel is awesome, too!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 19:12
I can pick 5 from every album book set. Half of them are outtakes or singles. Tull have tonnes of strong prog tunes
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2024 at 15:17
Surprisingly only 3 votes for "Locomotive Breath". I expected to see this all time JT concert-closers among the winners.Confused
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12