Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RUSH: Neil Peart's lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Did Peart's lyrics improve or decline over time?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.11%]
2 [11.11%]
13 [72.22%]
1 [5.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RUSH: Neil Peart's lyrics
    Posted: April 22 2024 at 11:58
Over and over again, one hears how important Neil Peart's lyrics are to the success of Rush. Many listeners cite them as being inspirational to their lives, or at the very least, thought-provoking. The man had a gift for understanding his audience, and for writing words that developed a passionate following.

My question is: do you think, over the 18 studio albums he appeared on, that his lyrics grew better and better, or did they decline in quality over time? There are also options for no change, and for inconsistency. Feel free to give examples of what you do and don't like about his lyrical contributions.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 12:01
Pretty consistent.
From the various biographies out there, it depended upon what he was reading at the time, as well as events in the world and his private life. 
They were always top-notch IMHO.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 12:09
Always good. I can't think of any other rock lyricist, with that many albums, that kept me engaged.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 13:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Always good. I can't think of any other rock lyricist, with that many albums, that kept me engaged.

I was thinking the same, which pushed me to say his content improved over time. As I got older and read lyrics with an older more educated mind than a teenager mind, his words have kept me engaged till the end.....But I can also agree it has been highly consistent.

Edited by Catcher10 - April 22 2024 at 13:30
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 14:35
I'd say pretty consistent. I'm busy being passed by six-wheeled cauliflowers on I-71.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 16:45
To me, his stuff seemed pretty consistent throughout but I think if you could ask Neil himself, he would say that he improved over time. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 13:19
Pretty Consistent, and always good.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 15:01
On the one hand I kind of feel like they improved over time but I think he ultimately just wrote about different things in differerent stages (no pun intended) of their career.  That said I feel like he reached a peak in the mid 80s or so or at least my favorite Rush lyrics are from around then. Take this line from territories which is maybe my favorite Rush lyric ever:

The whole wide world, an endless universe
Yet we keep looking through the eyeglass in reverse
Don't feed the people, but we feed the machines
Can't really feel what international means
In different circles we keep holding our ground
Indifferent circles, we keep spinning 'round and 'round and 'round

I don't feel Neil ever betttered that but of course that's just my opinion and I'm sure many will strongly disagree. 

Anyway, I voted for the third option since I think that's probably the best fit even though as I said my favorite Rush lyrics were in the 80s.
 Post Reply Post Reply