Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 42>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:09
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I'm not criticizing your work either, I know it's very hard job,  but this is turning into a mainly Prog' Metal site.

The only category with 3 or 4 sub-genres will be Prog Metal.

Have you ever read the polls about which is your favorite genre? In all the cases Symphonic has won by far and If I'm not wrong Prog Metal wasn't even near, why should this barely Prog whose limits with plain metal are almost invisible should have three sub-genres.

Has any Prog sute done this ever?

I know many Metalheads will try tu crucify me plus other guys who are probably passing through a teenage metal stage, but I believe this site should be kept Prog with a sub-genre for each category.

Iván

Prog-Metal is just the start,Symphonic will get a makeover too.We had to start somewhere and it just so happened that Mike was prepared to donate his spare time to this venture.

Still I can't understand, many times some members (Including myself) talk about sub-genres, and we recieve a lot of answers from people that doesn't care for genres or don't want to be labeled.

I believe Symphonic is OK, the same for Folk and Prog Metal.

Quote He has the full support of the Admin Team and all the people involved in this should be applauded.

One thing why I come  here is because I always felt free to give my opinions and often disagreed with Adm's opinion, but always been encouraged by them to write with freedom (Never disrespected anybody), does this means I can't give my opinion any more?

Iván

Nazgul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:10
Stupid Idea! IMHO. I have only two subgeneries:
It's good,or I dislike it. That's all
BTW I wonder wich subgeneries in Yours opinion is new album of Riverside
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:13

Good job compiling all that, I don't want to think about the effort involved

Just one question.. In the classification of Neo, IQ is described as borderline prog metal Can't say I agree with that statement..
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:21

I'm not criticizing your work either, I know it's very hard job,  but this is turning into a mainly Prog' Metal site.

The only category with 3 or 4 sub-genres will be Prog Metal.

Have you ever read the polls about which is your favorite genre? In all the cases Symphonic has won by far and If I'm not wrong Prog Metal wasn't even near, why should this barely Prog whose limits with plain metal are almost invisible should have three sub-genres.

Has any Prog sute done this ever?

I know many Metalheads will try tu crucify me plus other guys who are probably passing through a teenage metal stage, but I believe this site should be kept Prog with a sub-genre for each category.

Iván

Prog-Metal is just the start,Symphonic will get a makeover too.We had to start somewhere and it just so happened that Mike was prepared to donate his spare time to this venture.

Still I can't understand, many times some members (Including myself) talk about sub-genres, and we recieve a lot of answers from people that doesn't care for genres or don't want to be labeled.

I believe Symphonic is OK, the same for Folk and Prog Metal.

Quote He has the full support of the Admin Team and all the people involved in this should be applauded.

One thing why I come  here is because I always felt free to give my opinions and often disagreed with Adm's opinion, but always been encouraged by them to write with freedom (Never disrespected anybody), does this means I can't give my opinion any more?

Iván

Absolutely not Ivan.

All I am trying to say that Mike hasnt just gone ahead with this-he has Max's approval and that of the Admins.We know there are differing opinions about the relevance of sub-genres.We also know that other genres need "tidying up," we are just waiting for collaborators to volunteer.

As for discussing this and even disagreeing-no problem Ivan-your comments are always welcome.Thumbs Up

Nazgul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:28
Ok. I think that someone says DT, or Opeth......ect....
Everyone witch hear their music knows what it  is about

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:31
Eh?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:36

Originally posted by Nazgul Nazgul wrote:

Stupid Idea! IMHO. I have only two subgeneries:
It's good,or I dislike it. That's all
BTW I wonder wich subgeneries in Yours opinion is new album of Riverside

Well, personally I think that Riverside could well be classified as Neo Prog Rock, especially their new album. But they also fit in Neo Prog Metal. Borderline symphonic. 

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:36

^

I think he is saying that just because someone is familiar with a band doesnt necessarily make them an expert at categorizing them...........ok,so I put my own spin on it.

I think that a few of the people contributing to this discussion need to get a sense of perspective..this kind of over-reaction "upsets me dearly".

Edited by Tony R
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:40

^

I think he is saying that just because someone is familiar with a band doesnt necessarily make them an expert at categorizing them...........ok,so I put my own spin on it.

I think that a few of the people contributing to this discussion need to get a sense of perspective..this kind of over-reaction "upsets me dearly".

Same here Tony.It gets a little upsetting having hours and hours and hours of hard work just ripped to shreds by people.

Edited by TheProgtologist

yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:50

"Same here Tony.It gets a little upsetting having hours and hours and hours of hard work just ripped to shreds by people."

But it was pointless work.  There is absolutely no need to subdivide the genre of prog-metal into any groupings at all; this is a parsing of minutae of the most needless variety.  "Prog-Metal" itself is a "genre" that a number of the bands this site includes wouldn't even consider *themselves.*  What is the point of inventing further subgenres, which will only serve to confuse?  Many bands fit very uncomfortably into the general subgenres of prog that this site already uses (Jethro Tull as a prog-folk band -- that's a good one), because 1) their catalogs have some semblance of diversity, and 2) a lot of genres are really just artificial categories to begin with.  Squeezing the prog metal bands into tiny little subcategories that will ultimately be of little use to anyone doesn't seem like a very good idea, regardless of how many hours it took.   

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:56

When I listen to  Prog-Metal bands I hear differences as wide as the whole spectrum of Prog itself.Prog-Metal is just a catch-all genre and needs clarifying and expanding.

Any one easily offended or confused by "sub-genres" should just ignore them.For instance,I've managed to ignore Zeuhl for a near-lifetime without any kind of weird side affects like shouting or the urge to stamp my feet...

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 19:58

I've managed to ignore Zeuhl for a near-lifetime without any kind of weird side affects like shouting or the urge to stamp my feet...

That's what happens when you don't ignore it!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:03
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

I've managed to ignore Zeuhl for a near-lifetime without any kind of weird side affects like shouting or the urge to stamp my feet...

That's what happens when you don't ignore it!

No that usually results in bouts of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:07

"Any one easily offended or confused by "sub-genres" should just ignore them"

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of *having* them?  Somebody well-versed in prog-metal doesn't need to invent sub-genres, and somebody who doesn't know the genre well will just be confused by the artificiality of the whole thing. Of course there are lots of different "sounds" in prog metal.  Why not just leave it at that and let the reviews speak for themselves?  Why engage in the counterproductive exercise of forcing this stuff into subcategories? Like I already stated, the general division of progressive itself has already made for a good amount of inaccurate categorizations.  Why take a flawed model and make it more flawed?  

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:20
Originally posted by yargh yargh wrote:

"Any one easily offended or confused by "sub-genres" should just ignore them"

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of *having* them?  Somebody well-versed in prog-metal doesn't need to invent sub-genres, and somebody who doesn't know the genre well will just be confused by the artificiality of the whole thing. Of course there are lots of different "sounds" in prog metal.  Why not just leave it at that and let the reviews speak for themselves?  Why engage in the counterproductive exercise of forcing this stuff into subcategories? Like I already stated, the general division of progressive itself has already made for a good amount of inaccurate categorizations.  Why take a flawed model and make it more flawed?  

OK,Yargh-let me deal with a few of your questions

Why take a flawed model and make it more flawed?  

Because we are anally-retentive?Geek Or maybe we want to make it less flawed...

somebody who doesn't know the genre well will just be confused by the artificiality of the whole thing.

How do you know something is artificial if you are not familiar with it in the first place? Ermm

Of course there are lots of different "sounds" in prog metal.

There are lots of "different sounds" in all types of music,so why dont we just call it "music" and have done with it?Confused

I believe there will always be people out there who will always say "black" if someone else is saying "white". It's the easy way out....

yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:27

I'm not taking the easy way out, I offered an alternative model:  not doing any subcategories and letting the reviews speak for themselves.  Your statment that my opinions on the matter are bourne of simple contrarian impulses is an insult.  I offered a superior method of organization than the one you are proposing, and you are deliberarely choosing the inferior route.  I explained why creating more subgenres is an inferior route, yet you are apparently choosing the lesser model, regardless.  This certainly can't be the product of anal-retentiveness, since anal-retentiveness implies the application of excessive effort for a likely minimal amount of gain.  This is an example of excessive effort to produce negative gains.  There are a lot of terms one can use for that, but anal-retentiveness isn't one of them.        

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:34

Some of the first members here know that I always refer to sub-genres which IMO help to understand the differences whithin Prog Rock bands, for example almost everybody considers King Crimson Symphonic, but I can't find a single connection between any Post ITCOTCK album wiyh for example Yes and Genesis.

But honestly, in the case of Prog Metal, all the bands have the same basic influence which is metal, we're adapting Metal Sub-Genres to Progressive Rock, it means we're creating sub-genres of a sub-genre.

Of course it's a hard work, I admire the work Mike, Bryan  and everybody involved in this project has done, it's a hell of a job, (I haven't even heard about at least 75% of the bands mentioned), but each and every band have something in common, all form part from the metal genre.

Each time I mention Classic Prog' to refer to bands like ELP, The Nice or Le Orme due to the enormous influence of a determined classical era (Late Romantic/Early Modern) some people even laughed,

When I mentioned Dutch Euro Prog (I believe Prog Archices doesn't even recognize Euro Prog or Kosmische -Hope it's well written, if notor the term is misused Dallas Bryan will correct me ), I recieved a very nice and well elaborated PM (Won't mention the name of the member who sent it because he may have his reasons to keep it private) where he disagreed with my opinion (Still waitting for your reply my friend, you know who you are, and I enjoyed your PM).

So I believe we're going too far, my opinion is that there should be one sub-genre for each genre that has influenced Prog.

• 1 for Symphonic
  • 1 for those bands influenced by symphonic (Neo Prog)
  • 1 for Folk
  • 1 for Psychedelia (Maybe in this case 2 because USA Psychedelia is different to British Psychedelia)
  • And of course 1 for metal.

If not we should add 1 sub-genre for each classical era (At least Medieval/Gothic, Baroque, Classic, Romantic, Modern/Copntemporary) or add a folk sub-genre for each region or country, because Celtic/British Folk is absolutely different to Greek, USA Folk/Country, Latin American, Nordic, etc).

And all we would have achieved is too make things even more complex.

But this is only my opinion.

Tony wrote:

Absolutely not Ivan.

All I am trying to say that Mike hasnt just gone ahead with this-he has Max's approval and that of the Admins.We know there are differing opinions about the relevance of sub-genres.We also know that other genres need "tidying up," we are just waiting for collaborators to volunteer.

As for discussing this and even disagreeing-no problem Ivan-your comments are always welcome.Thumbs Up

Thanks Tony, I always knew the open criteria of the Adm's and PA staff, was only making a point.

BTW: Count with me when you need help with other sub-genres whith which I'm more familiar, because wouldn't feel comfortable giving an opinion if I'm not willing to help.

Iván

ulver982 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:38
If prog metal isn't split it up into sub-genres, then why split up prog rock?  Have everything on this site either prog rock or prog metal. Hmm, I don't think so.  I think sub-genres in metal is just as important as having sub genres in prog rock.
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.
Crushed Aria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:45
Subgenres in metal are important ... just not sub-subgenres for Prog. Metal ...
ProgLucky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Progarchives.com Founder / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 21:15

Hi prog fans,

Here for information.... metal music combining progressive metal (Pioneers: Queensryche, Fates Warning, Dream Theater)

- Orchestral / symphonic metal (Pioneers: Savatage, Rage and notable bands: Nightwish, Edenbridge, Kamelot, Dark Moor, Rhapsody, Therion)

- Gothic metal (Pioneers: Paradise Lost, Theater Of Tragedy, The 3rd And The Mortal)

- Power metal (Pioneers: Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian)

Red color : my preference

Other Sub-genres :

- Traditional & heavy metal (Pioneers: Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Manilla Road)
- Thrash (Pioneers: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Sodom)
- Death metal (Pioneers: Possessed, Slayer, Death)
- Black metal (Pioneers: Mayhem, Dark Throne, Satyricon, Burzum, Emperor, Enslaved)
- Doom metal (Pioneers: Black Sabbath, Candlemass, St. Vitus)
- Folk metal (Pioneers: Skyclad)
- Viking metal (Pioneers: Bathory)

ProgLucky (founder of ProgArchives)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 42>