Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwho else get’s annoyed with itunes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: who else get’s annoyed with itunes?
    Posted: November 11 2007 at 20:12
That can happen when the CD is too obscure to be in the CD database iTunes uses.  It can also happen if you happen to not be connected to the interwebz at the time you insert the CD.  

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 16:57
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

My iTunes no longer recognizes CDs like it used to. Now I end up replacing the names and info manually, extremely tedious with many songs.

Anyone know a solution?

Yeah I thought I had the answer. I said "Just connect your internet" but now I'm starting to get the same problem with a select few CDs I'm adding to my Mac. Three out of 20 CD came up a "Audio CD" by "Artist" and all songs were "Track 1" and "Track 2" and so on.

Anyone know why?

Any intelligent guesses?
cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 13:43
iTunes is rather annoying, but my Genesis collection looks so pretty on Juke Box mode....
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 17:46
It started when I just rated my favourites (so just 5 stars) but then the "Top Rated" playlist was rather empty so I went and did some 4s, and then it got out of hand, and now a good portion of the songs I listen to most are rated. 
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 09:40
I don't even bother rating songs. If I rated one, I'd have to rate them all, which would be a serious pain.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 21:27
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

My iTunes no longer recognizes CDs like it used to. Now I end up replacing the names and info manually, extremely tedious with many songs.

Anyone know a solution?

I know exactly what is wrong, my fellow Magma-nite. If it is not a burned CD (which are often not recognized), then you are not connected to the internet when you insert he Cd. If that isn't the case, then i seriously doubt it is iTunes to blame, but your internet connection and how it isn't properly speaking to your 'Tunes.

Today, with the new update of iTunes, I was frustrated with my beloved program for the first time. Now you can rate albums on iTUnes (not just songs) which, in theory, is a good idea. The only problem is that it guesses what you're going to rate the album by getting the average of your songs, which annoys me. Secondly, after rating an album, it guesses that all unrated songs on it will be the same rating as your initial rating.

When it "guesses" the rating, the stars are all hollow, whereas when you actually rate it, they are filled. However, songs that are "guessed" to be 4 or 5 stars (again, the guess is judged by the album's rating) show up in the "top rated" smart playlist, which means my playlist which used to be only so long, is now SOOOO long.

Grrr.
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 22:08

Anyone know a solution?
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 14:51
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Is there any program that will be able to accept my current iTunes library?  I'd love to try a new program, but I'm tied to iTunes by 54 gigabytes of music that would literally take weeks to add to another program.  

Weeks? I can add 100GB in a few minutes. Try something else, I'm pretty sure it will be a lot faster at cataloguing than iTunes.
I think you may be exagerating just a smidgen - just copying 100GB will take more than a few minutes (more like 2-3 hours) - re-adding the CD's manually would take weeks.

The "problem" with iTunes is that with the default settings it does not store the music files in an easily transferable form, so it is only possible to move the library to another player after a lot of effort.

/edit: sorry Mike, didn't see your post: iToons does not use mp3 as a default, nor does it store tracks by album or artist, but by some random method known only to iApple. I have changed my default settings so they are, but most users will be using it with the out-of-the-box settings.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. In my thoughts adding songs to a library would just be a matter of reading their tags and storing a database of where they all are (like Quod Libet, foobar2000, Winamp, WMP etc. etc!) I didn't realise iTunes would make it more complicated for no reason!

Edited by goose - September 17 2007 at 14:51
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 08:47
Originally posted by kazansky kazansky wrote:

i don't if it's the problem with itunes or ipod, but sometimes after connecting to itunes a few tracks on my ipod got scrambled (the track listing in an album)...

That's a labeling problem. All the tracks on an album must be labeled in the same way. If one tack has something listed in the "Album Artist" column, and all the others have that selection blank, it will not order correctly. An easy fix is to select the album title, click on get info, and fill in all the blanks with the correct information. Make sure you click the boxes next to the ones that should be blank. If the artwork is fine on all tracks, just leave that box alone.
kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 04:59
i don't if it's the problem with itunes or ipod, but sometimes after connecting to itunes a few tracks on my ipod got scrambled (the track listing in an album)...
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 04:54
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Is there any program that will be able to accept my current iTunes library?  I'd love to try a new program, but I'm tied to iTunes by 54 gigabytes of music that would literally take weeks to add to another program.  

Weeks? I can add 100GB in a few minutes. Try something else, I'm pretty sure it will be a lot faster at cataloguing than iTunes.
I think you may be exagerating just a smidgen - just copying 100GB will take more than a few minutes (more like 2-3 hours) - re-adding the CD's manually would take weeks.

The "problem" with iTunes is that with the default settings it does not store the music files in an easily transferable form, so it is only possible to move the library to another player after a lot of effort.

/edit: sorry Mike, didn't see your post: iToons does not use mp3 as a default, nor does it store tracks by album or artist, but by some random method known only to iApple. I have changed my default settings so they are, but most users will be using it with the out-of-the-box settings.

Edited by darqdean - September 17 2007 at 05:04
What?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 04:50

You should have thought about that before selling your soul to Steve iJobs ... Wink

Kidding aside: If your music is mp3 then you can simply install Winamp (my recommendation) or any other music player and simply add the folder to the library. It will take a few moments, but if it's all properly tagged I don't see a problem.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 03:36

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 22:25

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 13:57
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Me. Itunes pisses me off, it makes me love Window's Media Player. The only thing I don't like about Ipods is Itunes.

But wHyyyyy?!?! iTunes is lightyears ahead of Media Player.
WMP 11, enough said.
I only use Itunes to download to my Ipod.

Enough said?!?!?!?! I hate those two words.AngryAngryAngry
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 16:12
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've tried bunches of media players.  I use Windows primarily to play stuff on my computer.  (My whole CD collection has been converted by me for portability, that in and of itself is way cool over 3000 titles and no I don't sell or "share" copies.) 

The latest version of WMP is reasonably cool as far as search capabilities and album art display.   Still a little buggy.  I've tried itunes as a media player and wasn't impressed, probably didn't work with it enough to judge it.  I've done Real Player and it's ok.  The most dissapointing program is the one I use with my current digital music player, the Toshiba Gigabeat.  It's been more reliable than my last player, but leaves a lot to be desired.  The device's main goody is the 40 GB capacity.  The software is the most buggy I've ever worked with though.  Don't know if they are still for sale, but it would be hard to give it a really positive recommendation.

I use the Gigabeat too. If yours is the F40, I recommend Rockbox firmware (free, open source!).  Playlists are alot nicer and it has a crossfader.  Supposedly the Gigabeat can sync with WMP as long as you use the dock with the AC adapter.  I still havn't got that to work. But its still the most bang for the buck from a 40gb player.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 00:08
I've tried bunches of media players.  I use Windows primarily to play stuff on my computer.  (My whole CD collection has been converted by me for portability, that in and of itself is way cool over 3000 titles and no I don't sell or "share" copies.) 

The latest version of WMP is reasonably cool as far as search capabilities and album art display.   Still a little buggy.  I've tried itunes as a media player and wasn't impressed, probably didn't work with it enough to judge it.  I've done Real Player and it's ok.  The most dissapointing program is the one I use with my current digital music player, the Toshiba Gigabeat.  It's been more reliable than my last player, but leaves a lot to be desired.  The device's main goody is the 40 GB capacity.  The software is the most buggy I've ever worked with though.  Don't know if they are still for sale, but it would be hard to give it a really positive recommendation.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 12 2007 at 00:14
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 23:57

Me. Itunes pisses me off, it makes me love Window's Media Player. The only thing I don't like about Ipods is Itunes.

WMP 11, enough said.
I only use Itunes to download to my Ipod.

Edited by king of Siam - September 11 2007 at 23:58
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 23:44
I don't have any problems with iTunes, I think it has a pretty simple interface and it's easy to use. 
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 23:43

No kidding. I haven't used WMP (or windows for that matter) for quite a while. Not took long ago, I was helping my Step-Mother get her new mp3 player loaded up. It takes so much more time to do things, I almost went out and bought her Mac.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>