Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Recommendation Request
    Posted: September 22 2004 at 08:12

I have some UH on vinyl I have not listed for a good few years....

Perhaps the time is ripe!

Sodfather View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 15:51
Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but I want to doubly thank you guys who awakened me to the fact that the ultimate collection was a bit biased and skewed of UH's true style. Since I last posted, I've voraciously listened to Look at Yourself, Salisbury, High and Mighty, Magician's Birthday, Very 'eavy...Very 'umble, Demons and Wizards, Sweet Freedom, et cetera, and they are all exactly what I loved about Gypsy and Bird of Prey--rough guitar, organs, and ocassional pianos and acoustic guitars like Lady in Black.

This forum is a gold mine for confused listeners like myself. Thanks so much for the guidance; without it, I'm afraid I would've dismissed UH after hearing the ultimate collection.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 15:41

Ivan is spot on SF.

I would say though that "Look at yourself" and "Very 'eavy, very umble" (known simply as "Uriah Heep" in the US) have more of the "Gypsy" type sound than the classic line up did. With "Demons and Wizards", the melodies became stronger, and the overall sound generally a bit less "heavy".

Another great album to try is "Live '73", which captures the live band at their very best. When I saw the band on that tour, the leslie speakers where spinning round in my head for days afterwards!LOLLOL

Personally, I find the recently released "Deluxe" remasters to sound wonderful.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 11:45

In addition, I would suggest hunting down the original vinyl, if you still own a turntable: Do some research so that you find a first pressing, as that is as close to the original listening experience as you are likely to get without getting hold of the master tapes.

Most UH CDs were re-issued by a "stack-em high, flog-it cheap" company called Castle Communications, and the sound quality is really poor. Avoid anything released by that company if you have an ear for rich and full sound

The problem with compilations is that they tend to be of lower quality still, and, as Ivan says, the best place to hear the song is in its place on the original album.

HTH

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 22:44

Quote I don't hear another "heavy riffed," "strong base-lined" song like "Gypsy"

That's why I never buy ultimate collections or Greatest Hits, because the songs and the music are better expressed in their natural enviroment, and that place is the original album in which the song was released.

There's another problem with such collections (great for the hardcore fan but not for people who are starting to geyt involved with the music of the band) is that the editor, producer or label choose the tracks that they believe are the best, leaving other great tunes for different reasons like not being commercial enough.

The Ultimate Collection (2003?) for example doesn't include Tears in my Eyes, one of the strongest tracks in UH career.

I will recomend you to get the albums where the classic lineup of Uriah Heep (Box, Hensley, Byron, Thain and Kerslake) and those are:

1. Demons and Wizards
  2. The Magicians Birthday
  3. Sweet Freedom
  4. Wonderworld

But if you also want agreat album (even without Kerslake and Thain) try Look at Yourself.

In those releases you'll find what you're searching for, and even more.

Iván

Sodfather View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 22:27
Been listening to The Ultimate Collection of Uriah Heep and also reading up on them here at the Archives. I'm developing an acute affinity for the sound distinguished by songs like "Gypsy" and "Bird of Prey." Let me cite an excerpt from the Archives:
Quote The sound most associated with the band however is that which appears on their very first track, “Gypsy”. The heavy guitar riff is backed by a Hammond Organ, fed through Leslie speakers, a strong bass line, and tub-thumping drums.

If that's the common association, then it must have been ill-developed because I don't hear another "heavy riffed," "strong base-lined" song like "Gypsy" throughout the entire greatest hits compilation.

Did UH change from their most notable style later in their lifespan? If so, in which albums/years would I find the most UH music similar to "Gypsy?" I'm guessing the album with "Gypsy" on it might be what I'm looking for, but I haven't been able to have a listen yet.

Thanks,
Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply