FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Snow Goose and blindly buying albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Snow Goose and blindly buying albums
    Posted: January 03 2006 at 23:22
I went to the record store today and picked up a few prog classics - specifically, Thick As A Brick, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, and, although I'd never heard anything by Camel, The Snow Goose. I love them all, but I must say - wow! The Snow Goose is fantastic! I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this excellent album, and I can't wait to hear more from Camel .

Has anyone had similar experiences with albums they bought on a whim and ended up loving?
R_DeNIRO View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 23:43
I feel the same with Camel first release: "Camel", I bought it without listening nothing by Camel before. After this I start to listening theirl albums by cronological order. Now I'm in Nude (1981) and I think Andy Latimer is a God of music and Camel is near to be favourite band of all time.
We were always be much human than we whish to be.
raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 23:48

Like you I still have a lot of Camel music to explore! I only have Nude and Stationary Traveller and I love 'em. I might go for a live album next!

One album that meets your criteria is Utopia's RA! I actually bought it on a whim for my brothers birthday but I soon had my own copy! If you havn't heard this album I highly recomend it!

NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 00:58
Snow Goose is good, but Mirage and Moonmadness are amazing......get them!
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 01:36

Moonmadness is the absolute best. Snow Goose though as well as Camel ( debut), Mirage and Rain Dances are all classics.

A very underrated band....La Princesse Perdue!!

<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 01:48
moonmadness/mirage = amazing
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 03:40

camel just rule my heart.I remember like 4 years ago i was taking with a costumer at the restaurant where i work  about progressive rock.irecoment to this person to listen to dream theater, queensryche, spocks beard,etc and he was taking like crazy about camel.thanks to him i bought ''moonmadness'  and a week later this guy gave me to listen a live albun from camel where they play the whole ''snow goose'' albun live.since that day i fell in love whit this amaizing band .ps:i recoment rain dances, mirage, moonmadness, and my favorite ''a not an a wink'' [the last masterpiece from camel],camel rules progressive rock.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 03:43
Originally posted by Ty1020 Ty1020 wrote:

Has anyone had similar experiences with albums they bought on a whim and ended up loving?

'Frances The Mute' - The Mars Volta; recommended by another Archive member, bought cheap "on a whim" from Amazon... completely blew me away - without a doubt, the freshest, most original album I've heard in a long time.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 05:25

Originally posted by Ty1020 Ty1020 wrote:

Yes but I've had the opposite as well. I've bought some prog classic albums without hearing them and have been a bit disappointed.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 05:34

I have bought the following, without having heard them, and been very impressed..

Glass Hammer - Shadowlands
Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret
The Tangent - The Music that Died alone
Spocks Beard - The Light

Among others..

I have been less impressed with other blind purchases, noticably anything by King Crimson, with the exception of Red.

BTW, agree about Snow Goose, Mirage & Moonmadness. All brilliant albums

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ytse Jam View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 06:30
The Snow Goose is just perfect. I fell in love with this album from the first listen, in my opinion, one of the best progressive rock albums of all time.
Poxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 06:43

Nude is way above the Snow Goose. The Snow Goose is not neccesarily weak, but it's certainly uninspired, at least compared to Mirage and Moonmadness, which are both brilliant all the way through. Only 'Rhayader', 'Rhayader Goes to Town' and 'La Princesse Purdue' stands out, where the latter is just a variation of the title track.

It is "funny" how this album has attracted so much praise as of late. It's a nice example of how popularity has nothing to do with quality.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 06:46
Originally posted by Poxx Poxx wrote:

Nude is way above the Snow Goose. The Snow Goose is not neccesarily weak, but it's certainly uninspired, at least compared to Mirage and Moonmadness, which are both brilliant all the way through. Only 'Rhayader', 'Rhayader Goes to Town' and 'La Princesse Purdue' stands out, where the latter is just a variation of the title track.

It is "funny" how this album has attracted so much praise as of late. It's a nice example of how popularity has nothing to do with quality.

Those who favour instrumental music may instinctivly be drawn to the Snow Goose over the other albums. Latimers voice is also very weak IMO. I prefer the Snow Goose to Nude, and I DONT favour instrumental music..

I would however agree that Moonmadness and Mirage are far better than both SG and Nude.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 06:59
Many times, I usually buy an album with only the reccomendation of another forum member. For instance, I just purchased More than Meets the Eye by Jadis with only Fandano's reccomendation.
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 07:51

A few indeed

• A ghost is born - Wilco
  • Larks tongues in aspic/ In the court of the crimson king (anyone who knows me at all will know which i prefer ) - King crimson
  • A farewell to kings - Rush 
  • The rotters club - Hatfield and the north
  • Agaetis byrjun - Sigur ros
  • Third - Soft machine
  • In the land of grey and pink - Caravan (same day as Third )
  • Frances the mute - Mars volta
  • Misplaced childhood - Marillion

I do a lot of random purchasing Now though that I have been introduced to the site I can check some of the songs from bands/albums I'm thinking of getting. Handy all right but ruins the surprise

Edited by Winter Wine
My computer's broke
Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 08:01

Mostly Autumn - Liive at the Grand Opera House. Since then I've seen them live twice (both epic concerts) and bought their entire discography. They are now rivalling Camel as my favourite band and The Last Bright Light comes close to the Snow Goose as my favourite album. My entire family have been converted into fans (and are now starting to review their albums).

What is wierd is that we all live in the York (UK) area, where Mostly Autumn come from, yet NONE of us had heard of them.

Edited by Tony Fisher
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 08:34
Snowgoose was amoung the first prog albums i got and it blew my away. I think some hard-core proggers are alienated by its lack of pretence or wierdness but it think thats its strength... its just beutifull, melodic and often accessable music. Needless to say camel became and still are one of my favourite bands.... buy any of their first 5 ablums and you cant go wrong.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 08:43
The snow goose is a "pretty" album. Like opening a book for childrens or something. I bought a couple of Sun Ra albums without any previous knowledge of their music. In fact, the only clue I had was a very weird name for a Jazz tune ("Space is the place"). So I got curious and bought it. I seriously recommend it, that Jazz band is fascinating.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 09:53

Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

The snow goose is a "pretty" album. Like opening a book for children or something.  

Hardly surprising when it's based on a short story written (primarily) for children (though perfectly suitable for adults too). Those who slate it for its lack of wierdness/adventure miss the point. It's music INSPIRED by a book. The book has a character and the music has to match it; gentle, sad and exquisitely beautiful. Those who slate it probably have never heard of Paul Gallico.

Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:12
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

The snow goose is a "pretty" album. Like opening a book for children or something.  

Hardly surprising when it's based on a short story written (primarily) for children (though perfectly suitable for adults too). Those who slate it for its lack of wierdness/adventure miss the point. It's music INSPIRED by a book. The book has a character and the music has to match it; gentle, sad and exquisitely beautiful. Those who slate it probably have never heard of Paul Gallico.

My computer's broke
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>